“Fab food and gluten free! ”
Review of The Golden Cross

The Golden Cross
Ranked #13 of 647 Restaurants in Coventry
Price range: US$9 - US$21
Description: The newly refurbished Golden Cross is the oldest pub in Coventry, built c.1583 and a pub from c.1661. It features the traditional Tudor jettied upper floors, with exposed beams in the interior. There will be real ale served, from both near and far and live music at least twice a week. Traditional pub food will be served, all made in house. We also offer a huge range of gluten free meals, with almost all of the menu being naturally gluten free or having a gluten free alternative.
Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

Since my husband became allergic to wheat, eating out has been a challenge. Many places say they do gluten free but it's like vegetarian was 20 years ago... Limited choice, often dry, tasteless and just not very good.

But not The Golden Cross. The head chef has gone out of his way to create a menu of delicious food and desserts that anyone can enjoy, GF or not. From the Mother's Day menu we had mouth-watering roast duck breast and roast beef, both a juicy pink medium rare, and the beef came with crispy Yorkshire pud which our sons said tasted just as good as wheat ones. For dessert we had cheesecake, chocolate banana brownie and sticky toffee sundae, all home-made and sooo tasty.
On top of all that, the service from Charlie was attentive and the atmosphere was quiet enough to be conducive to good conversation. All in all a great experience and we will definitely be back.

Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

I visited the golden cross for an open mic night. The live music was fantastic! Me and my friends had a great night. Wonderfully quaint newly refurbished pub has a lovely feel to it. Can't wait to go back and try the food the menu looks amazing!

Reviewed 22 March 2017

I have been twice in three days. Think that is why i feel compelled to actually say why. I originally used to walk by and think oh i must try there. Then i saw that they were doing food every day and proposed it to three close friends for Sunday. i did think it was going to be standard fayre but no it wasn't. it was fresh, hot home made gorgeous good food. As the three are Italian and quite picky, i was nervous but great portions of home made chips and onion rings were gobbled down. The roast beef and veggie pie were lush. The staff were attentive and very helpful. I particularly liked to see them train a guy with autism as a new staff member. I went again thinking id like to try their normal menu so i did last night. I went for chicken parmigiana. A lovely mix of chicken, thick cut ham, real tomato based sauce and cheese. Piping hot and really tasty. My friend had the beef parmigiana burger which while slightly different was equally good and since she is a big fan of burgers remarked it was one of the best cooked she has had in a long time -not overcooked and proper beef taste. We both found room for cake and i had the vanilla lemon sponge which was a steal and supports the guide dogs. My friend had the chocolate and banana cake and we literally licked our plates clean. Couple that with the unexpected open mic night, a quick bite made us stay until closing time. im telling everyone of this new gastro experience and hopefully will always find a table.

Reviewed 22 March 2017

I had heard some good things about this place from a friend who also has a gluten intolerance. I came and had the fish and chips (something I have not been able to have in years!) and it was brilliant. To begin with I thought I had accidentally had non gluten free batter, but they assured me it was and you couldn't tell the difference! My friend had a burger, which was also excellent. I didn't have space for dessert, but there was a lot of gf choice, so will have to try and come back another day!

The staff were very friendly and attentive, although at one point I was waiting a little too long at the bar, but we weren't in a hurry so it wasn't a problem!

I noticed a very extensive spirit range and will have to come back in an evening to sample some of them.

Will definitely be back!

Reviewed 16 March 2017

We were visiting Coventry Cathedral so decided to stop here for lunch because the old timber framed building looked so appealing from the outside.
Inside it has clearly been refurbished while still keeping all of the historic features including exposed beams and stained glass. It was spotlessly clean and well furnished with comfortable chairs, a very relaxed place to spend some time.
I enjoyed a nice pint of beer (their won Golden Cross Ale) and my wife had a decent Pinot Grigio. Our sandwiches were freshly made with plenty of filling (including good quality ham) on rustic brown bread for a very reasonable price. The waitress was welcoming and the food arrived very quickly.
It was fairly quiet so we stayed downstairs, after reading some other recent reviews we probably should have had a look upstairs because the room sound impressive.
Sadly we were only in Coventry for the day and couldn't return to try their main meals but maybe next time.

1  Thank LichfieldBoy