“Excellent customer service”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Stayed here on the theatre deal on saturday - bed, breakfast, 3 course pre theatre dinner and 2 glasses of prosecco and choc dipped strawberries as a birthday treat for my husband.
From the moment we checked in we were welcomed like VIPs, nothing was too much trouble and the staff seemed genuinely pleased to help us. Had slight delay with delivery of prosecco to the room, but this was sorted and they gave us complimentary carparking to make up for it - cannot praise them enough, you must go to experience the first class service!
V clean, lovely selection at the breakfast buffet, well placed for shopping (just up road to Bull Ring Centre), and 5 minutes away from Hippodrome and Alex theatres.Will definitely return!
Tip - Even numbered rooms are at the back - not such a great view but much much quieter for a good night's sleep!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter - once we stayed on the 17th floor at the front and could still hear t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your recent stay - I hope you and your partner had a fantastic celebration together! I am sure the birthday amenities really made a difference.

I hope we have the oppurtunity to book your next celebration, please feel free to contact me direct and I shall make all the arrangements with you.

Sarah.duffield@radissonblu.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)

Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

High class! Absolutely worth our corporate rate of 85GBP per night. 15GBP for full fantastic breakfast.

I liked it very much! Close to eveything in the town of Birmingham.

Friendly personnel from East Europe.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank AndiGeismar

Dear guest,

Many thanks for your kind words! I hope we will see you again in the week, You should sign up for our loyalty programme if you are staying often.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

This is a modern hotel with nice sized rooms and excellent food. The staff are friendly and attentive and the service good. It is is a great location being central for the city centre, rail stations etc.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Scottkjs

Dear guest,

Thank you for your positive comments! It makes us smile when we we are told our service was great. At Radisson we pride ourselves on "Yes I Can" service and spirit! it looks like our training is really paying off well!

Looking forward to having you back soon.

All the best.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

I really do wonder why this hotel has had any bad reviews!I stayed here from the 17th to the 18th of november with my wife(our second such stay)for my 50th birthday and have to say it was faultless,from the checking in-which was quick,easy and polite-the fast carriage in the lift,spectacular views from our 16th floor room to the most comfortable bed which i must say was on par with that of the sofitel on west 44th street NY.Our only niggle to the perfection that is the Radisson was the lack of a newspaper in the morning which was offered as we were business class,when asked for in the lobby we were told to take one from the pile,we were in a hurry so took one,only to discover on the train home it was 3 days old!Naughty staff,Brilliant stay and look forward to returning and think others should

Room Tip: Get a room as high as possible to lessen traffic noise,the shoe cleaning button is unmarked but loca...
1  Thank jez47

Dear guest,

Wow, thank you for your kind words! I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and the high views are a favourite! I will look into this newspaper situation as we deliver every night and not heard of any issues, my apologies.

Hope to hear from you in the future, until then, have a fab week!

Reviewed 20 November 2012

Stayed here with my partner, as we were going to a show in Symphony Hall.

Check in was pretty smooth. Our room was ready at just after 1.00pm, which was a surprise as the stated check in time was 3.00pm. Our room was located on the 16th floor and we had a great view. The room was clean and tidy.

We had a "business class" room (are there any other types in this hotel?) - so the bathroom toiletries were of a good standard, the bathroom was immaculate and the room in general was good - which I would have expected in all honesty, for a 4* hotel charging £159.00 for one nights stay. As has been mentioned previously, floor to ceiling windows gave an excellent view of the tower block of flats opposite. Oops, I mean the delightful skyline of Birmingham.

So, a day exploring in Birmingham and we return. We took a drink in the hotel bar, two glasses of wine - I was genuinely surprised by the bar charge - less than a tenner for two small glasses of wine. Well done Radisson, I was expecting much much more for a late night hotel bar. We then hit the room.

I am sick to death of "king sized" beds being two smaller beds pushed together. This left an uncomfortable join between the beds that was obviously felt. It didn't inspire the most romantic of cuddles, but the bed itself wasn't too uncomfortable. Nice duvet and pillows completed the set. But PLEASE - either make it a proper double, or a proper king. Don't compromise. It was was obvious and was actually quite uncomfortable if you slept in the wrong position.

Breakfast - well, it's a farce. Notice in the lifts explained to avoid certain times due to "high occupancy". A hotel of 4* should have the facility to cope with high occupancy and demand at breakfast. This is not the fault of a consumer paying £159 for a room. We "avoided" the suggested time of 10.30am onwards and took breakfast at 9.30am instead. We were checked in and left to find our own table.

Positives? The food was nice. Fresh and well cooked. The downside. Awful staff. I had to ask to be served a hot drink at least 5 times. I had finished my breakfast by the time it had arrived. When it did arrive, it was dumped unceremoniously on to my table, nearly spilling it's contents.

So, I put sugar in to my cup. Then milk. Oops. No milk. I asked for milk. Again, a few grunts later and it arrived. So to stir my coffee. Ooops. No teaspoons on the table. When turning a table in a 4* hotel, the basics should be a given - ensure all crockery and cutlery is provided for the guests occupying the tables. Not doing this causes delays. Delays cause queues. Queues cause complaints. Learn your lessons people.

Check out was ok. Pretty quick and painless. We were let out the back door to the carpark - something I would not like to do in the dark. I am a native of Birmingham and it's a pretty safe city, but a urine soaked carpark in the dirty backstreet is not the best of welcomes or exits from this hotel - it kind of taints the memories.

Either way - it was ok. The room was nice - the view spectacular. No noise, nice and quiet and the general condition of the hotel is great. The staff are hit and miss. Breakfast is a farce. Yes, it's probably better than the 3* review I've given it - but the compromise bed, the abysmal breakfast service and the carpark mark it down. I have no real complaints - but it's expensive for what you really actually get - search around (Malmaison?) and you'll get a better total package. I think once is probably enough for me.

Room Tip: On the front of the hotel, as high as you can get - the view is worth it.

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review - I was pleased that overall you were satisfied with your stay. Hotels do have what we call zip and link beds, and we also have King mattresses, I understand the zip and links can feel slightly different and therefore apologise if you were uncomfortable.

In respect of the your commens relating to breakfast I shall pass these on to our food & beverage manager for further follow up and action. Perhaps if you are in town again you will consider us, if you contact me direct in the future I will sure you are looked after very well.

Thank you for your stay with us, if we dont see you soon then have a great christmas

Best regards,,