“Vegan brownies and peanut!”

Urban Cafe - Bar - Kitchen
Ranked #6 of 100 Coffee & Tea in Birmingham
Price range: US$3 - US$9
Cuisines: American, British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Our glass-fronted JQ emporium is light, airy and offers incredible coffee, soft drinks and delicious cakes, an all day brunch menu and a full lunch menu. Add to that plenty of seating, free wi-fi and we like to think you've got the perfect pit-stop or hang-out in the up and coming Jewellery Quarter. We're licensed too, do awesome Sunday Roasts and do take away coffees, brunch & lunch!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great cuppa and an amazing peanut butter chocolate brownie! Couldn’t tell it was vegan.

Good background music, friendly and helpful staff, plenty of room on a rainy day.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Mid morning breakfast after a late night at the Arena was a lifesaver. Poached Eggs on toast with a side of back bacon was cooked perfectly, nice sized portion with a great mug of tea. My wife chose scrambled eggs with smoked salmon which was equally delicious. Relatively inexpensive helped by a 20% discount after staying at the Bloc hotel nearby but well worth the visit. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back very friendly and airy environment too.

Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

We use this Cafe when we visit the jewellery quarter. Not good this time, I ordered the smashed Avo on sour bread with poached eggs. Very little Avo, bitter tasting luke warm and hard yoke in poached eggs that oozed water/liquid when I cut into them. Not sure if this made the sour tough soggy or if it was not toasted. Probably won’t go back.

urbancoffeeco, Owner at Urban Cafe - Bar - Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi there,

So sorry to hear you were disappointed with your visit this time round -did you mention any of your issues at the time? We would have loved the opportunity to sort it out there and then, but now we know, if you could email us direct we would be happy to incentivise you to come back next time.

Email: jq@urbanemporiums.com

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

After attending the Vegan Valentines pop up which was a delicious set menu that knocked my socks off and lovely service - I decided this was the place to have my 30th birthday meal. What I wanted was a whole restaurant to myself for me and about 25 friends and family to have a vegan meal all at one long table.
I worked with the manager, Kenya, who put a beautiful bespoke menu together of big sharing plates (aubergine fritters, avocado and cucumber rolls, breads, chickpea stew, spiced potatoes, mujadarrah... and more!) as well as a full vegan wine and beer list!
We all arrived to a welcome drink of prosecco then after about half an hour sat down to our meal. It was all perfect and showed that this place isn’t just great at brunch and coffee - it’s also a very credible restaurant and event venue.

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch which was very nice. There was plenty of choice and we were both very happy with the food.
Service was a little slow queuing to place and order but the food was worth the wait.
The only toilet was almost straight into the cafe with a single door and it let the place down. It ran out of hand drying paper and with only one toilet and wash basin it was well used, and looked like it was. Neglected I guess and resembled a public loo.
It wouldn’t stop me going back, but, there are plenty of other options I’d try first

urbancoffeeco, Owner at Urban Cafe - Bar - Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback and you'll be pleased to know we have refurbished our toilet

Hope to see you again soon!