“Pricey - not bad, but a little tired in service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #42 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Nuneaton
“Pricey - not bad, but a little tired in service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Used restaurant for business lunch - food & drink is pricey, I don't mind that so much, but the service although quick for the food, was more than lacklustre at the bar.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I checked in and was given the wrong room, as I waited in the bar the manager came to tell me the bad news, I thought he was there to tell me I could not have the room I had booked, but no, he was sorry to tell me the valet had written off my car!!!!!! DONT WORRY HE SAID. We will make sure everything is perfect, leave it to us. As he left I turned to finish off my very expensive cocktail to find it had been removed. Later at dinner we ordered wine, both choices were out of stock, When my main course arrived they had forgotten to put the bird in the oven, not an overstatement, they really had, it was still cold and raw from the fridge. I asked for the bill, at which point the maitre d came over in tears, so sorry for the awful treatment I had received. Having had enough I went to my room to watch tv which didnt work, called the front desk but the phone was inactive. What a shambles. The place is tired
and so are the staff. Needless to say I have no resolution regarding my car, they decided to pass the problem onto the insurance company wiping their hands of the whole affair.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Derby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed at the Hotel Du Vin for 1 night. We arrived early, looking just to drop off our bags before shopping but were pleasantly surprised to find that we could check in. Our room was a reasonable size (1st floor). The bed was a good size and comfy, although for our tastes we would have preferred firmer pillows. There was a good selection of teas and a Nespresso machine which we used to have a couple of lovely coffees. The bathroom was quite small but perfectly adequate for 1 night & the shower was fantastic. We had a DVD player & TV along with a selection of magazines to read which was a nice touch.
Can't comment on either the restaurant or bars as we didn't go in either. We were intending to go in the Pub Du Vin as had read good reviews on TA but we ended up in another nearby bar; Gingers, which did amazing cocktails !
The hotel is in a great location, close to the Jewellry Quarter and only a 5-10 min walk top the Bullring & New St station.
Would definately return. The only negative I can think of is that the room was quite warm during the night, causing us to turn the air con on ! Again, this is all down to individual tates.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Great hotel - loevely rooms with fantastic shower and baths. Superb food and wine. Within easy walking distance for Bull ring, Jewellry Quarter and more!

Room Tip: Always ask about an upgrade and see what they will offer
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I always get such friendly response from their booking reservations. They have an understanding on how to make business trip requirements and even private visits very comfortable.

Situated in the middle of the hold city center this hotel with so much charm in the bar and Bistro. It seems to offer everything for everyone. I also suggested this charming hotel to my daughter when she was looking for a venue for her wedding a few years ago. Nothing could be faulted and all the staff were extremely helpful and made the reception a total success.

Room Tip: All rooms are designed in an elegant individual way. Extremely comfortable beds and large bathrooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business