“Malmaison Birmingham - what a let down”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #27 of 119 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I booked the malmaison as a surprise for my husbands 30th birthday. booked online but eventually after searching their web page decided to go for the luxury double for the price of £109.00 for 1 night only.Then tried calling the spa in order to book a pamper package for my hubby only to have left 5 messages on their voicemail asking them to call me back as i wanted to book (this was 3 days prior to our arrival). I heard nothing even though i left messages i continued to call and no one answered.
Got to the hotel you have to park in the Mailbox carpark(£18.00) per 24 hours. to access the hotel we walked across the car park followed the exit and the hotel is on the right.

Checked in okay although reception area is dark, went directly to the room, although neat and clean i was dissapointed with the size, it's small not much room to manouvere. the room was cold when we entered and had to keep fiddling about with the thermostat, eventually we gave up and switched it off. I called the spa again, no answer left another message and went out. I never received a call back or a message.

I quickly popped into the spa only to be confronted with 1 very harrassed spa employee and 6 customers in the queue.

On a whole i was quite dissapointed that the room was so small and cold and the spa didn't even bother to call back. I wouldn't stay there again, overpriced and out of the way, i wish i had booked the hyatt on Broad Street. The spa just ruined my plans for my hubby as i wanted him to be pampered and relax and enjoy his birthday.

There is no pool, if there is then we werent aware of it!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank funkydiva69_4
Write a ReviewReviews (2,486)

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I have stayed at the Mal a few times on business. I have always found the hotel to be lovely.
With Classical music playing quietly in the background when you enter your room, it is truely a great experience.

The rooms are comfortable and clean, with a fully stocked mini bar.

The only disappointment I felt, was due to the food. Room service breakfast seems pretty basic given the cost (although a normal breakfast was more than suitable). Overall the evening meals I found to be quite greasy- leaving me feeling a little bit ill.

I would definitely recommend staying there- just make sure you eat somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This is a very stylish hotel, perfectly situated for shopping in Birmingham but also great for road and rail links.
The food was wonderful, the staff were helpful and I'd stay again when in this city.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed here quite a few times and it's been consistently very good on each visit.

Very nice atmosphere and decor - although a little on the dark side, but I guess that must be what they call mood lighting. Decor could do with a touch up too, still good but a little worn round the corners.

Staff have always been completely helpful. Food in the restaurant is good, with a few very tasty dishes.

Rooms are very comfortable and spacious. Recently changed the TV's to flat screen and I think with more channels than they had before. The beds are awesome - so comfy and huge. I'm 6 ft 3 and get lost in one of their doubles! Rooms are always very clean and nice soap and shampoo in the bathroom!

Have stayed in several hotels in Birmingham and this is my favourite!

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Yes it's quite funky, Yes the staff were friendly and Yes the room was spacious and well equipped. However, it didn't really leave as much of an impression on me personaly as it did on my Credit Card. If it was cheaper I'd stay there again, if not, I'd take my chances elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you've got money to burn stay here, if not I suspect there's better value to be found els...