“friendly hotel in Birmingham” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eaton Hotel

Eaton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 141 Hotels in Birmingham
Durham
“friendly hotel in Birmingham”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

we stayed here to attend a wedding so really just needed a comfortable bed and a tasty breakfast and this was definately what we had. The room was spacious and clean and the bed comfortable, and there was a very good power shower. The staff were very friendly and helpful - absolutely no complaints about the Eaton hotel.

Although there were lifts to the two floors there were some short flights of steps to negotiate on the corridors.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DurhamAnne100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have been staying at the Eaton at various times in the last 4 months and I commend it highly.
The accommodation is exceptionally good with up-to-date facilities in all of the rooms I have stayed in. There is ample car-parking space; the hotel is on a main road so accessability is not a problem (the noise of the main road is only heard in the rooms facing it; even so, it is not intrusive).
The food is exceptional, with both a la carte and set menus in the evenings; it can rival any restaurant easily in price and quality.
The staff are friendly, attentive and helpful and make you feel at home without being over-enthusiastic.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank John L
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Fri/Sat night stay with several friends in mid November.

Being a good boy, I waited to see what response we had to our direct complaint over one big issue before I reviewed. It was all we could have wished for, so I have not let it affect my review nor scoring.

Given the extortionate cost of the new downtown Brum hotels (and no flippin car parking other than public), one or two of the just-out-the-centre Hagley Rd places have cottoned on and upped their game. I wasn't expecting much for £60 a night, B&B single occupancy, and the place isn't particularly imposing on arrival. However, I was bowled over by the very friendly and efficient check in, and smart, well equipped room. Would have liked a bath, but excellent shower. Room was warm, and I would imagine very much more so in warm weather. Aircon would be good, but one has to remember the price. Corby trouser press/ironing board/iron combo a very useful touch - why don't all places have them? They have employed a top design agency, and it shows.

Breakfast service was a little flaky, but the fare was pretty good - again, a lot more than one would expect for the price. We did have a serious problem with the very noisy wedding on Sat night that went on too late, but it seems this will not re-occur to the same degree. I would recommend asking if staying on a weekend what functions are booked as the curfew is midnight. Rooms at the back of the hotel were not affected. My sleep quality score is for Friday night!

This aside, The Eaton offers tremendous value for money (and a car park!) and I was disappointed to find it booked out mid last week when returning on business. I tried a similarly rennovated one nearby at higher cost which was not so good.

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms between us, and all were very good. As for one right at the back on Fri/Sat.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank trevgti
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Booked this hotel 5 weeks prior to stay for a family room, two adults two children. Agreed price of £85.00. Day of departure,decided to request a single room for another family member and manageress agreed £55.00. We arrived later on Saturday afternoon to check in. Gentleman on reception starting flapping his arms around and shouting at me that the rooms I was sold were far too cheap and I hadn't been charged enough for them! I explained how the manageress had spoken to me earlier in the day and had offered me both rooms for total £140.00. I was so embarrassed as other guests were sat in reception area. He was very rude and eventually conceded that our booking was indeed correct but without apologising. When we were checking out, we noticed another group quierying what they had been quoted against what they were now being charged and I would advise anyone booking this hotel to get email confirmation so they don't have to go through this. The hotel itself was very comfortable and Is just a shame they are being let down by unproffesional staff!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Aly5n
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

I have been staying at this hotel while on a training course and I would like to say you can not ask for anymore the service is fab and all hotel staff are very friendly.
The hotel rooms are very clean tidy and very modern.
The food breakfast and dinner is great and have plenty of choice David the manager is so funny and friendly as so is Fiona on the bar, the waiter which can't think of his name is great too. The staff front of house are very helpful.
I will look forward to my return at the end of the month

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business