“EXCELLENT GOLF HOTEL - FOOD NEEDS ATTENTION”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 November 2017

A typical Marriott Hotel,living off the back of its' Golf Courses - but to be honest - its' catering and food standards are way below the one that guests might expect.

Rooms remain as one would expect clean and serviceable - adequate for most short stays. Breakfast was all the you can expect.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,504)

Reviewed 7 November 2017

I stayed here with my Mother, so we could do a little sightseeing around the area and take in the Cotswolds.
I think it best if I explain the title I've given this review.... A lot about this hotel is very good. The staff are excellent, the rooms and common areas are spotless, we requested additional milk for the in room refreshments, they arrived in 10 minutes. At check-in, there were a number of people behind me, so the lady did not announce my room number, rather pointing to it on the welcome card - nice touch. The breakfast has a wide selection, great tea and coffee and proper sized mugs. The only negative I would have to say on the room is that the beds were extremely hard,with no mattress topper to speak of to soften them. So if you don't like a hard bed..... be warned!
What lets it down *badly* is the restaurant. Given that the hotel is slightly isolated, it is fair to say that you will rely on this to eat in the evening, and it advertises itself as a grill. So it was perplexing to me how two straightforward steaks could be cooked totally incorrectly (mine was actually raw and chilly in the middle) and then when they were sent back, the exact same steaks came back out, a little more cooked, but then mine was given to my Mum, my Mum had mine. Good job we were related, otherwise, we wouldn't have played "swap the steak" and they'd have gone back....again. My Mother's was gristly, so she struggled to eat it. The deserts were nice (although these were also wrong - and being asked "well did you actually ask for sauce"... really?) they have the potential to be great deserts with a bit of finesse applied. Oh, and my Mother's tea took so long to arrive, we wondered if they were going to pick the leaves!
I felt very sorry for the serving staff, as being left with a kitchen that appeared to resemble something out of a kitchen nightmares programme, they would have been suited to a fireman's uniform - they were doing that much firefighting and apologising. It is deeply unfair to put staff in a position like this - as not everyone will be friendly if they have food that is unsatisfactory. The downside to such experience is that if I was doing leisure travelling in this area again, despite the cleanliness and convenient location, I would think very carefully about coming here again, based on the restaurant experience.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Thank you for your time and feedback on your stay.

It is very important that we review our process and product so that if we are able to provide memorable experience to our customer. Your feedback is really important for our team as the areas you have highlighted in terms of service and product will be reviewed for improvement.

As we take pride in providing excellent stay we are sorry for the issues you have encountered and we will ensure to implement improvements so that this is not repeated.

We hope you will accept our apology and provide us another change to welcome you back.

Yours sincierly,
Atul Kankrej
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Everything perfect-this was despite them hosting a large wedding other guests were not neglected or disadvantaged. Food was fantastic too and service. Location was beautiful quiet and relaxing. Will use again.

Room Tip: All room have lovely different views
Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Hotel , golf, food and staff very good. However two areas that need addressing. As an older person but not totally infirm I found it difficult getting in and out of the bath for my shower. Could do with more hand rails as the bath was quite deep.my other complaint was being charged £9.99 for 24 hours of WI FI. I feel this is a total rip off when most establishments these days offer it free. Come on De Vere sort this out.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Poor service from the staff. Booked a 'Delux' room.... nothing deluxe about it. Very dated decor, small room with no fridge/minibar. Rang reception to ask for an upgrade, yes absolutely no problem, went down to reception to organise to be told there are no rooms!! They apparently found one which looked no different apart from an empty fridge. There were no bathrobes, slippers or facecloths. I had to ask for these. We got locked out of our room (which was an extremely long walk from reception) twice. We noticed on the room bill we had been charged a 12.5% service charge ON TOP of the tip we left, we took a photo of our meal bill to prove it did not state we would get at automatic charge of 12.5%. We had to ask for this to be removed and also asked for the room upgrade charge to be removed which they did. I have stayed in a lot of Marriott's and this was by far the worst one for a Country Club. Disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and time to provide feedback.

We are extremely sorry for the issues you have encountered. I can assure you that we will certainly look into the feedback and take all necessary steps so that this is not repeated, we will also develop our service and product so that we can continue to deliver experience which not only meet but exceed guest expectations.

Once again we are very sorry and hopefully our apology will be accepted we can get opportunity to welcome you back in future.

Yours sincerely,