“Great hotel for working near the NEC”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel for working near the NEC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I had a lovely stay at the Metropole once again. The room was always spick and span when I got back every night which was a pleasure. It was hassle free and everyone I dealt with was courteous, efficient and friendly. The food is always amazing and I recommend both the restaurants there. The staff in the restaurants are also worthy of note. I have never had a bad stay at the metropole, I actually look forward to my stays there! A big thank you to all the staff for making my stay feel special.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Abigail

Many thanks for the kind comments contained in your review.

I am so pleased that you enjoy your stays with us and are a big fan of our restaurants and our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Solihull, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Checked in at 3 and paid £150 for one nights stay dinner bed and breakfast,the room was pokey and dark so asked to be moved which was a little better but a tiny double bed very uncomfortable. Had a snack at 3 which cost £35 for two sandwiches and two drinks. We were told at 8.30 that the miller restaurant in which we were supposed to be vain dinner and paid for was closed so therefore couldn't have dinner. Very angry as had to have yet another bar snax which was again very poor and £65 . Retired to bed and was kept awake by a party till 3am above our room,screaming shouting and very load music, then haveing to listen to people using the toilet. Was supposed to be a lovely valentine romantic evening! Very upset and disappointing will be goin back to holiday inn .

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank eloisebedford

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed for 2 nights at the Hilton and was really impressed. My room was modern and clean, with tv, internet connection, clock radio and an iron and ironing board. I was there for a conference and the hot buffet lunch served was fantastic - great variety of food. I couldn't fault breakfast either - everything you could want and more. I used the leisure facilities too - great pool with view out to river and greenery - really relaxing.
The courtesy shuttle bus to and from the airport train station was a fantastic extra - and the driver was really helpful in giving us suggestions for our night out in Birmingham. Had a cocktail in the hotel bar when we returned from town - a bit pricey but tasty nonetheless. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very positive review, following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you had found everything met your expectations and we do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back very shortly.

West Midlands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Metropole close to Birmingham Airport and International railway station in Dec 2011 prior to a holiday. The service and welcome at reception was excellent, we were upgraded to a really spacious room. We ate in the bar area and the food was very well presented and bill was reasonable for a large hotel.Free shuttle to the Airport link was smooth and easy. All staff that we encountered seemed very professional and friendly.
The parking for two weeks was actually within the hotel's large car park. Upon our return the shuttle arrived within a few minutes of our calling the hotel and dropped us a 2 minute walk from the car. All in all a stress free experience.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Roxally

I am very pleased that you had a stress-free stay with us, we always strive to ensure our guests have a pleasant stay.

I was glad that you found our staff both friendly and welcoming and hope we may have the pleasure of your company again shortly.

Kind regards.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I arrived for my four-night stay on what is always a busy period, when the Spring Fair is on at the NEC. Prices for the cheapest rooms during this period start at £150 per night for a single room, whereas normally £75 is the norm.

My first impression was by a surly security man on the car park gate demanding to see my booking confirmation before even letting me in.

Twenty-five minute queue at reception for check-in, just like at an airport.

My room was in the tired old 'b block' which is the wing where the rooms haven't been rennovated for years. The wallpaper was peeling, paintwork was flaking and faded, the carpet was threadbare. The radiator belched out heat all night with no adjustment or ability to switch it off. My room was a stifling 29 degrees centigrade. To be fair, the room was clean and the bathroom was ok.

I added an extra night to my stay, I made this clear to the receptionist when I checked in, but at the end of my original stay, I found myself locked out of my room. I had to go to reception, check out and check in again, which took forty minutes of my evening to sort out. Grrr.

The Sunday night was so busy ALL the restaurants were booked solid, so I went out. I had a very mediocre Indian buffet meal in the library room which was overpriced and had obviously been made using frozen mixed vegetables and tinned potatoes in some of the veggy dishes.

I skipped breakfast and did't use the gym or pool because I'd slept so bably in my stupidly hot room. I was moved to a newly refurbished room after complaining. The poor guy on reception admitted 'we get hundreds of complaints every week because of the state of some of our rooms'

Definitely my last stay here, in future it'll be Premier Inn for the nine nights I have to endure at the NEC every year because of my job.

Room Tip: Ask reception to allocate you one of the refurbished rooms which have thermostat controlled heating...