All reviews study centre garden room selly oak grounds are beautiful peaceful place to stay george cadbury wonderful library refectory style frequent buses peace and quiet birmingham city centre shared bathroom bus stop within easy reach hot drinks rooms are basic buffet style
Reviewed 7 October 2017

Woodbrooke is primarily a college, and the bed and breakfast supports the other work. The advantages are a wonderful library, lots of single rooms, and a very friendly supportive atmosphere with volunteers who are there to help you. The disadvantages, if you are staying more than one night your room will not be serviced unless you ask, if you want lunch or dinner you have to book in advance, also you need to arrive by 10pm to get your key. There are televisions in only a few rooms, so if you want one you have to ask.
There is plenty of parking, free wifi, and a lovely lounge overlooking ten acres of beautiful garden with a lake. Breakfast food is good and provision is made for special diets.
The main part of the house is Victorian and used to belong to George Cadbury. It is very conveniently placed for visiting Bournville, and for hospitals.

Room tip: Holland House and Bridge end have rooms overlooking the garden but are further from the dining room.
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Janet S
Jared S, Sales Co-ordinator at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Gremlin52,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. We very much appreciate your kind comments regarding your stay with us, I'm delighted to read that you found the atmosphere at Woodbrooke friendly and helpful.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us, we look forward to your next stay and hope that it is as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

Have wanted to stay here for some time and was delighted to finally have the opportunity. Stayed in a wonderfully comfortable room with views over the very special gardens and the peace and tranquillity restored my balance and calm after a particularly stressful year. All the staff and volunteers were helpful, warm and friendly and, although the main areas could be busy at certain times, there were plenty of quiet spaces to go and unwind (including a well stocked library). Bed and breakfast is tremendous value and lunch and dinner are available if booked ahead before 10am.The food was wholesome and delicious with a choice between a meat or fish dish or vegetarian, thanks to the kitchen staff for all their hard work. Many people staying at the centre are on courses ( made me nostalgic for my conference days) but there is a tremendously relaxed atmosphere. The head gardener and her team keep the surroundings very beautiful and,on colder days and evenings or any day for that matter, the garden room brings gorgeous views along with a constant supply of coffee and often homemade biscuits and fruit. A short bus drive away you can reach the Barber Institute and the Winterbourne House and Gardens on the University campus where a combined visit happily fills a day. Bournville is a pleasant walk away.But if you just want to spend some quiet days reading, writing or just meditating on life you really do not need to leave the centre. I think it is a particularly therapeutic place to be for a quiet recovery from tough times as well as just appreciating the simple joys of life. If you need them, there are Friends in Residence to offer advise and a listening ear, there is no pressure to follow a Quaker way but you can take up the option if you wish. I am unable to praise this place enough. How marvellous to find such an oasis of peace in such a frantically busy city.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank miriam b

Dear miriam b,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience, we look forward to your next stay and hope that it is as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Staying for work - really comfy beds, lovely staff (Friends) who were really helpful while checking in and out.

The breakfast is also incredible - a really wide choice of cooked breakfast and continental food, I left very full!

There is also a study centre, bookshop and library, although I didn't use these. It looks like a great place to study.

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Chris H,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am thrilled to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, particularly our fantastic selection of cooked and continental breakfast items.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

I was travelling alone and didn't want to feel lonely. Aidan who booked me in was so helpful. I had a single room with shared bathroom and a bathrobe was provided in the room. Lovely food, beautiful house and grounds, plenty of tea and coffee and people on Quaker courses to chat to.

Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Carole D,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your lovely photos, I'm glad you enjoyed our warm hospitality.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

I went for a Quaker Study course but I know it is also available as a B&B and a number of people were staying on this basis. It's not average or standard B&B accommodation... rooms are plain, but clean and comfortable. Not all have TV or en-suite. Breakfast is served cafeteria-style, also lunch and evening meal if you want- the food is very nice, but there isn't much choice and the times are limited. Refectory style seating means a lot of people get chatting and of course no bar. There is a gorgeous sunny lounge, with free newspapers and tea/coffee, overlooking a huge quiet leafy peaceful garden where you can walk down to a small lake. It is partly run by volunteers who are lovely, polite, friendly, but occasionally not completely professional- not to say sloppy or inefficient, but more chatty and sometimes take their time.
It's a Quaker centre first and a B&B second, so depends whether you want standard hotel service or something a little more quirky and personal.

Room tip: Not all rooms have TV, not all have en-suite. The quietest ones are at the rear but all are fairly quiet.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Gremlin52
Jared S, Sales Co-ordinator at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear Gremlin52,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am thrilled to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Woodbrooke certainly is a quirky venue, filled with character.