“Comfy beds and an amazing breakfast”

Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke
Ranked #2 of 56 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 September 2017

Staying for work - really comfy beds, lovely staff (Friends) who were really helpful while checking in and out.

The breakfast is also incredible - a really wide choice of cooked breakfast and continental food, I left very full!

There is also a study centre, bookshop and library, although I didn't use these. It looks like a great place to study.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Jared S, Sales Co-ordinator at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Chris H,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am thrilled to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, particularly our fantastic selection of cooked and continental breakfast items.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience, we look forward to your next stay and hope that it is as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

I was travelling alone and didn't want to feel lonely. Aidan who booked me in was so helpful. I had a single room with shared bathroom and a bathrobe was provided in the room. Lovely food, beautiful house and grounds, plenty of tea and coffee and people on Quaker courses to chat to.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Dear Carole D,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your lovely photos, I'm glad you enjoyed our warm hospitality.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us, we look forward to your next stay and hope that it is as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

I went for a Quaker Study course but I know it is also available as a B&B and a number of people were staying on this basis. It's not average or standard B&B accommodation... rooms are plain, but clean and comfortable. Not all have TV or en-suite. Breakfast is served cafeteria-style, also lunch and evening meal if you want- the food is very nice, but there isn't much choice and the times are limited. Refectory style seating means a lot of people get chatting and of course no bar. There is a gorgeous sunny lounge, with free newspapers and tea/coffee, overlooking a huge quiet leafy peaceful garden where you can walk down to a small lake. It is partly run by volunteers who are lovely, polite, friendly, but occasionally not completely professional- not to say sloppy or inefficient, but more chatty and sometimes take their time.
It's a Quaker centre first and a B&B second, so depends whether you want standard hotel service or something a little more quirky and personal.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have TV, not all have en-suite. The quietest ones are at the rear but all are fairly q...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Jared S, Sales Co-ordinator at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear Gremlin52,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am thrilled to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Woodbrooke certainly is a quirky venue, filled with character.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

I have visited Woodbrooke several times now with Coventry Quakers. I always say I want to come back just for B&B but life seems to get in the way. Which is what Woodbrooke is such an antidote to! It is such a calm peaceful and restful place. The bedrooms are simple, no prizes for posh décor but functional, quiet, clean and very comfy and cosy with kettle etc, wifi and good en suite. There is an excellent and interesting library. The best place for me is the garden room, a beautiful airy light conservatory (NO muzak! Heaven!) with lovely furniture, free papers, a whizzo coffee machine and cakes, biscuits and fruit. There is a large selection of papers along with jigsaws, knitting, crafty things etc or you can just sit and read, surf or look out at the window onto the beautiful grounds. We just sat around and chatted, did yoga in the room we had booked for our group, and enjoyed the delicious food that Woodbrooke is renowned for. You can come here on a course (see website) or just to stay, you don't have to be a Quaker, just someone who enjoys peace and quiet, nice food and chilling. (NB I think WB is an alcohol free zone? There is a TV lounge - tucked away, some rooms have TV, and the wifi is good so...) The grounds are beautiful and there is a lovely walled kitchen garden. It is easy to reach from New St station, frequent buses, although the website page needs correcting about this! (Whoever wrote the train / bus directions, clearly has not done it!) A half hour bus ride, £2.40, no big deal, Birmingham public transport is excellent. All in all this is a lovely place to go if you feel you need some time out for whatever reason. You can be by yourself, or seek the company of like minded folk if you wish.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the garden will be quieter. excellent wifi all areas
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Alison P,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, we appreciate you highlighting the best bits of your stay - particularly the mention of our extensive course programme.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us, we look forward to your next stay and hope that it is as pleasent as the previous one.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I came to Birmingham on business and decided to stay at Woodbrooke. I'd been once before for a Quaker retreat and this time was just coming to use the B&B facilities. It was a lovely welcome with the resident Friend (a volunteer Quaker) greeting me after I checked in at reception to show me to my room. My ensuite single was cosy - a bit warm but with a lovely view of the garden. After settling in, I wandered down to enjoy the garden which is lovely - so peaceful and green. And then I made my way to the tea room/conservatory where I took advantage of the free newspapers to read with a cuppa. Dinner was simple and healthy with fishcake and ample veg and salad. It was nice to be able to relax and read at dinner on my own but if I had felt like it, I'm sure I could have sat at a communal table with other visitors and/or volunteers and struck up a conversation. That's one thing I very much enjoyed - being able to be on my own but still feeling a sense of companionship. After dinner, I read more in the conservatory and then enjoyed the short evening Epilogue (a sort of prayer time for Quakers where there is silence and sometimes music and poetry). Had a quick chat with fellow Quakers and then up to bed where I slept very soundly. Morning breakfast was ample and I then rang a cab to take me to my meeting. Checking out was easy and the receptionist was helpful when I realised I had left my phone charger in the room after I checked out. Woodbrooke has a 'home from home' feel. The rooms are abit small but the conservatory has many sofa's and chairs and is set up for comfortable reading and relaxing so you needn't feel stuck in your room.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Dear Mscoachbeth,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, we appreciate you hightlighting the best bits of your stay!