All reviews study centre garden room selly oak peaceful place to stay george cadbury wonderful library refectory style frequent buses peace and quiet birmingham city centre shared bathroom bus stop within easy reach hot drinks rooms are basic buffet style tea coffee
Reviewed 11 July 2017

A very pleasant stay in a very pleasant environment . Thank you. We will definitely come again. A great location really handy for the University of Birmingham.
Great grounds which are a real surprise in the urban environment.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Jared S, Sales Co-ordinator at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Dear chforsyth,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and found our location useful for the University of Birmingham.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us, we look forward to your next stay and hope that it is as pleasent as the previous one.

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Overview: The staff is mostly nice and friendly but the stay was not great because of the heat of the rooms w/o AC in the summer. I brought this up and didn't care for the response. Wifi is patchy.

Pros: full breakfast buffet included, lovely grounds, hot water and pressure in shower are good, interesting history of building

Cons: very warm third floor rooms with no fans or AC. Wifi has a lot of issues. Location is inconvenient to most things.

Elaboration on main points: wifi kept kicking me off so I was unknowingly draining my data. The rooms are all (?--So I was told) on the third floor so this means that even if it is a reasonable 75 degrees outside it gets quite warm and does not cool off in the rooms. The drapes are very light and don't block out the sun. This means that it will probably wake you up at 5am when the sun comes up in the summer and fails to provide extra protection from the warmth throughout the day. I was also on the side of the building facing the busy road so leaving the window open at night was not an option because of noise. I barely slept my first two nights because of warmth/brightness which was unfortunate because I was in town for a conference and gave a presentation short on sleep after my first night.

On day 3 I asked to switch rooms and did not appreciate the defensive response. I was told first "well you know how it is in England, if you don't like the weather, wait a day." I told her it had been 2 nights. She retorted "oh you should have told us yesterday because we had more rooms." Ironic! Wait a day but if you do then you waited too long! Obviously I didn't appreciate this after two days of little sleep. They were unable to give me a new room but they did let me borrow a fan. These should come standard in the rooms. The fan was at least enough to get me through the night (but with brightness still up at 5!)

Because of the forced early mornings I usually tried to take mid-morning naps before heading over to the conference. One of these was interrupted by a fire alarm drill at 9am.

There are bus stops very convenient to the location but if you don't have internet/exact change/time to wait then these aren't ideal. Walking in the well-treed area can be nice but you have to be very careful not to get lost--especially when there are hills. The closest area with restaurants/groceries is 3/4 mile which can seem far depending on your needs.

While the place has some good qualities, my inability to sleep at all the first 2 nights, and with some discomfort the last two, set things off on the wrong foot. As did the limited wifi reliability and feeling of being in an inconvenient location, even though the mileage isn't necessarily that far.

When I left the man who checked me out said he hoped I had a good stay. I shrugged and said it was just okay because of the warm rooms. He was also defensive, saying he wished they could do something about this and then noted that I was ironic that I "complained" because I am from a hot part of the world. :/ Really was not looking for defensive judgment from two staff members after 4 days of minimal sleep. One way to address this in a productive way is to have fans in all rooms. Another is being clear, especially for summer guests, that all rooms are on the 3rd floor and lack AC.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Jared S, Sales Co-ordinator at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Dear catbaskets,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am sorry to hear that there were elements of your stay that did not meet your expectations. We do have a number of fans available to guests should you ask at Reception at any point during your stay.

I will share your comments with our team in regards to some of the comments made that you found inappropriate, I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us, I do hope we welcome you back to Woodbrooke in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

Warm old fashioned welcome from the front desk. Loads of character on the premises and strong flavour of Quaker.

Most other guests seemed to be on residential courses. Oddly, all guests are asked to wear a badge during their stay.

Rooms are ok. No television or radio but free internet and good parking. An egg timer is provided in the tiny shower to help you conserve hot water!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Joe D,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient for Birmingham University. I will share your kind comments with our team who I know will be thrilled, I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us, we look forward to your next stay with Woodbrooke very soon!

Reviewed 16 June 2017

Our expectations for Woodbrooke were high but in the event easily exceeded. It's an affordable, well-appointed B&B arrangement within a conference centre, amid beautiful and well-tended gardens, with an excellent range of breakfasts. We woke to bird song and sunny gardens, which was a wonderful surprise given our location near the centre of Birmingham! The staff were conscientious volunteers and couldn't have been more helpful.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Jared S, Sales Co-ordinator at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

Dear JUMANorfolk_England,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your kind comments with our team who I know will be thrilled, I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services

Reviewed 3 June 2017

Very comfortable and welcoming. Food excellent. Walking round the grounds is a treat.
Although a Quaker based centre it is open to all of fall ages providing that you are looking for a peaceful place to stay. I managed to put in a few pieces in the lounge jig saw! Historically interesting

Room Tip: Lots of showers and toilets even if not en suite
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Jared S, Sales Co-ordinator at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

Dear FreddyCardiff,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, your kind comments are greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your contribution to the lounge jigsaw also!

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us, I do hope we welcome you back to Woodbrooke again soon!