“An amazing experience with sushi!”
Review of Gaijin Sushi

Gaijin Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaijin Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #179 of 2,497 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$20 - US$39
Description: Sushi and Sashimi Bar in Birmingham
Description: Sushi and Sashimi Bar in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Gaijin is a small 10-seater sushi restaurant located on Bristol Road.

I went with 2 friends on a Thursday night and really really enjoyed the experience.

You sit in front of the owner and chef who makes your order which in my opinion adds so much to the culinary experience!

The menu is well set out and has loads of sushi options (including vegetarian and vegan).

The food we ordered was top quality and full of flavour. It's the sort of thing that you savour every mouthful of.

Would definitely recommend this intimate establishment and sushi experience to anyone who is either a sushi fan or would like to try for the first time.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Having just noticed this new place we decided to try it for lunch. The menu is broken into several types of Sushi and Sushami and the waiter provided pictures on his phone to explain the differences.

We sampled Miso Soup, which was quite nice not overly salty like some but instead of cubes of Tofu had bites of Salmon. My daughter went for a plate of crispy prawn rolls. The prawns were tempura ed then rolled with sushi rice and seaweed. These came with a side of ginger and wasabi. They were light and flavoursome and you got 6 pieces -which she almost could not finish.

I tried the Salmon assortment. This offered at least 5 pieces of fresh salmon, three Salmon on sushi rice and 4 little Salmon Nigiri. All were pleasant, very well presented and I too could not eat it all.

This place is quite small - I suspect the total capacity is around 10 - 12 people. The service is friendly and helpful and the open concept Sushi area means you can see your dishes, and others being prepared. I would certainly be open to going again and trying some more dishes.

1  Thank evadark
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Being vegetarian I knew that my options would be limited at a sushi restaurant but there were several to choose from, I wish that there had actually been a vegetarian selection option so I could have tried more! My favourite was the inari rolls but also loved the salad which was so full of flavour and fresh. My husband eats fish and had the assorted nigiri which came with miso soup with pieces of fish in it, but his favourite were the crab rolls. A really intimate restaurant with only 10 seats, the staff were friendly and happy to answer questions and it was great being able to see the food being prepared fresh in front of you and the skill of the chef.

1  Thank Michelle D
Reviewed 11 March 2018

Newly opened small but excelllent Watch as Polish chef Michal Kubiak prepares beautiful fresh fish Havent tasted anything this good since Japan Will be back

1  Thank witsend18
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

This place was recommended, and it did not disappoint! The setting is clean and minimalistic. Michael clearly loves his work and is happy to talk through everything, adding that element of having your own personal chef, preparing a bespoke meal in front of you. The ingredients were so fresh and we tried new thing too. We loved it, and will be back! Thanks, Michael.

1  Thank mmp2015