“cancelled without notice”

Devon House Restaurant
Ranked #570 of 2,516 Restaurants in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Table booked for us and our friends on Friday Sept 21st. My husband had spoken to the restaurant about food choices twice in the week leading up to our booking and we were looking forward to the meal as we have seen some good reviews about the food.
Unfortunately, on the day, we were only 15 minutes away from Jewellery quarter on the train with our friends when my husband received a phone call saying that the restaurant was not open tonight with no given reason for this and our meal was cancelled.
We were rather shocked at such a late cancellation by the restaurant. Someone from the restaurant was supposed to call on another day to reschedule but no such call has been made.
To cancel without a reason when we were virtually at the restaurant is appalling customer service as far as I am concerned and no apology makes it even worse.
Despite the good food reviews we will not be booking there again as cannot trust the restaurant after this episode.
We had to find another restaurant in the area that could accommodate the 4 of us with no booking.
Thank you very much Devon House for the embarrassment caused to us as we had brought other people with us and your restaurant was our suggestion.
Never again.

CliveG193, Owner at Devon House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi, thanks for your review. I am very sorry to have learn of your late cancelled booking via trip advisor. As the business owner I do take full responsibility for this and I apologies sincerely for the inconvenience and disappointment that this might have caused your family and guest.
On the day of your booking we encounter a gas pipe/cooker gas leak in our kitchen which causes us to closed for trading due to the serious nature that this is.
We tried without being successful to get a gas engineer in to fix the problem before opening time but we were unable to get a positive outcome hence the late notice of your reservation being cancel.

I did task a member of staff to contact customers to advice of the problems and to cancel and re book reservation where possible, your review as indicate to me that this might not have being done properly and communicated professionally to the standard required.

Once again as a business we apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This restaurant is great, I last visited this place a couple of months ago, and thought my first time was great, my recent experience at Devon House was amazing.

The customer care was excellent, the food was authentic and the price was reasonable.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Finally found a Jamaican restaurant which is worthy to be called a Jamaican restaurant. I’m from London and there are no Caribbean or Jamaican restaurants there which could be compare to this one. From the moment you walked in you know this is the place the staffs are friendly,courteous,professional and the deliver an outstanding service. I must say a big thank you to Denise who was my waitress thank you for an excellent service.

The food here is full of flavours,cooked to perfection and have the authenticity of a true Jamaican restaurant. Wish this was located in London,however I’ll be visiting here again. All the so-called Caribbean/Jamaican restaurants in London need to visit here and learn how to cook and deliver a good service.

Also, a big thank you to the manager April, it was a very busy night when I visited restaurant and she was in midst of the service with her staffs motivating and getting things organised for the diners.

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

Oh my gosh what an amazing restaurant. Didn’t even realise this place existed it’s been open 2 years. From start to finish fantastic experience. Beautiful!!! Food
absolutely mouth watering, desserts home made ice cream - Guinness Punch and Rum Raisin yummy!!! Jamaican Rum cake lip smacking.

The staff friendly, jovial, helpful and polite 10/10 for the waiting on women.
Definitely recommend this top notch Caribbean restaurant. Full marks to them well done.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

This restaurant serves a truly amazing food. It feels like home cooked food. I never get bloated because the quality of food is 10/10 for me. My fav starter is the veg soup or chicken soup. It ‘s not very spicy and it’s a proper jamaican traditional soup. Main I always get the jerk chicken with coconut rice! Jerk chicken is so tasty and chicken literally melts in your mouth! Finally for desert I had the fruit cake with a strawberry scoop of ice-cream. Food is truly tasty and amazing! People there are very nice and kind too!

Clive G, Owner at Devon House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2018

Hi thanks for dinning with us and we are very please that you had such a wonderful experience. We look forward to seeing you again.

Best wishes