1,847 results
All reviews st james park shark club sharks bar fridge and microwave metro car park football ground football stadium king room kitchen area air con wet room city centre rain shower lovely hotel bathroom floor bar downstairs eldon square
Reviewed 17 May 2018

Bit of a mixed bag. check in was efficient and courteous. we were even given a choice of rooms.
I chose the hotel as it was close to the train station and not far from Gosforth where we had to get to early on the Saturday morning.
we had a late lunch of some tasty bar food. the bar staff were polite and helpful and a good selection of food and drink, but London prices.
breakfast was served from 7.30 in the morning and we were there at 7.30 as we had to be out early. food was hot and plentiful and a good choice of cereals, fruit etc.
however, on the Sunday morning, when we did not have to be up early and got to breakfast at 10am, the buffet was virtually empty of everything, nobody was being proactive in addressing the situation, none of the tables had been reset after use, so everywhere was messy and it was difficult to locate any staff to ask for anything.
very poor management.
the room was clean, quite small but adequate. a bit of a squeeze getting into and out of bed as my side was right next to the wall. unable to move it centrally as the bedside tables were fixed to the wall, with the bed wedged between.
As Sunday was a match day, the football supporters were waiting outside the restaurant/bar where breakfast is served, waiting to get drinks at 1100. had it not been for a security guard who was patrolling the area, who asked people to wait outside the building I feel we would have had unwanted company.

Room tip: choose a room on the upper floors, the hotel is in the middle of a ring road and opposite St James park
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lucy M
Debbie H, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Dear Lucy M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle.

I am delighted to see our guest service team offered our usual high standard of customer service and you found our location convenient. We are very lucky to be located in such an ideal spot in the City.

I am sorry your experience at Breakfast did not match up in your experience. I will pass your comments on to Shark Club so they can review this and make improvements where necessary.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

This is a difficult review to write as I have very mixed feelings about this hotel.

Check in was a nightmare and the amount of time it took to get checked in was overly long and tedious but when I did finally get to speak to someone they were pleasant enough. As there are no clear directions as to where to park your car and you end up having to check in to get a voucher (at a cost of £8 per night) to park it over the road. I was advised that the spots are, and I quote "on a first come first served basis and if the were no spaces then I would have to park elsewhere." I was lucky but can only imagine the frustration, confusion and annoyance to a first time visitor to the city.

TIP: Go to the back of the hotel where there are 20 minute waiting area while you check in.

The location of the hotel is great for the centre of the city and if you are there to watch the football at St James' park then perfect as it is across the road.

The Shark Bar downstairs is very lively indeed, but then again so is most of Newcastle so not the spot for a quiet drink.

The food is what I would class as "pub food' with the majority being burgers & pizzas thought the curry was nice. We had room service both nights and was served quickly and still hot, and best of all served with a smile. Cost wise it was £45 for a main & desert for both of us.

Breakfast is served in the Shark Bar and is a cooked buffet with a reasonable selection of pastries & cereals. I didn't see any evidence of cold meats or cheeses. My main gripe with breakfast was the clearing of tables, basically it just didn't happen.

The room itself is small but modern and functional and surprisingly not noisy (we were on floor 8) when the windows were shut. The shower takes a while to heat up but once it did then plenty of hot water was available. The room was half heartedly serviced in that the bed was made but the cups weren't washed and (my biggest annoyance) the coffee wasn't refilled.

In conclusion for what we wanted - Close to SJP and somewhere to sleep - it was perfect, however as a hotel it has a few short comings in the customer service department. The decor itself was not to my taste, but perhaps that is because I am getting old.

I would stay there again, not because I wanted to but because of it's location.

Room tip: If you want to see the most magnificent stadium on the planet (in my very biased opinion) then get a room high up at the front.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear kagsandbri,

Thank you for choosing Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle for your break in Newcastle.

I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations, we do pride ourselves on our excellent customer service from our guest services team.

If you do return to Newcastle, please contact us directly at gsm_newcastle@sandmanhotels.co.uk. We will endeavour to make your next stay more comfortable for you.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

The room was un-hoovered - there were nail clippings on the floor at the side of the bed. The glass doors were covered in hand prints and the bathroom door did not close fully and therefore there was no privacy.
The most disturbing part was the scatter cushions and throw on the bed. They were simply disgusting - grubby, stained, un-washed, covered in hairs and there were even pubic hairs left behind on the bed when I lifted the throw. Stomach-churning.
At breakfast, certain items are not replenished, including bread, pastries and juice.

Room tip: Once a lovely hotel but rooms now worn and grubby
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear 72white,

Thank you for choosing Sandman Signature Hotel for your break in Newcastle.

I am sorry to hear our usual high standards were not maintained.

Your comments have been passed on to the relevant department for review.
We do have a 24 hour guest services team who are here to resolve any issues our guests may encounter, I am sorry you have left the hotel dissatisfied.

If you do return to Newcastle, please contact us directly at gsm_Newcastle@sandmanhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed here last Saturday and booked the 40 winks and cocktail drinks package at £190. Checked in fine. Got our cocktail vouchers and following morning had lovely breakfast - all included in package along with a 2pm checkout. . Unfortunately about half 12 we were contacted by reception asking us why we hadn't checked out at 12 !!! Pointed out that we'd booked the deal on their website which gave us 2pm checkout. Lady on the phone eventually agreed to allowing us to check out at 1pm !! Went to check out at 1pm and queried why we had been told to leave at 12 then 1. She told us that actually it was a 1pm checkout on their internal system. If that was true why would they ring their guests half an hour before 1 to remind them to check out ?? And why does their website still show 2pm checkout as part of the deal. Be aware of this when booking. Ruined the end of a fantastic weekend which had been booked as a relaxing break following heart surgery.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Debbie H, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature Newcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2018

Dear NotLFCfan,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandman Signature Hotel Newcastle.

I am so sorry about the confusion regarding the time of departure which was part of your 40 Winks package.
Since your departure, this has been discussed and rectified. I am so sorry that this caused you to leave us disappointed.

I do hope if returning to Newcastle, you would chose to return to us. If so, please contact us on gsm_newcastle@sandmanhotels.co.uk and we will endeavour to ensure your next stay with us is a lor more relaxing.

I do hope you are well on the way to a full recovery after your surgery.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

The hotel is clean staff are courteous location is very good . However the rooms are very small beds are small and firm. The breakfast is expensive [over £ 15] and very average . I booked through booking .com and had 5 double rooms . This was 6 months in advance , unfortunately one of the travelling party could not make our trip so i duly cancelled through booking .com who advertised free cancellation 24 hours before arrival. i cancelled 5 days before hand but still had to pay 50 % of the room rate to the hotel. having spent in excess of £ 550 this was incredibly poor . Im not sure legally how i stand but its enough for me not to recommend the hotel . We did use the bar area as well adding to the amount of money we spent there . Come on where are the marketing skills its 2018 !!! they are living off St James Park and not focusing on high end quality.

Room tip: rooms on the main drag are better with a view of the stadium.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear aeb55,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with us. We do value all comments.

When booking multiple rooms, you are then subject to a group cancellation policy, the terms & conditions of this policy is sent to you when we receive your reservations.

I am pleased to hear you were happy with the hotel and our excellent guest service staff. Breakfast is a self service all you can eat buffet, which includes Tea/Coffee and fruit juices, which for the £15.95 price tag is reasonable, also if pre-booked with our team, this is then only £11.95.