“Malmaison”

Malmaison Newcastle
Reviewed 28 September 2017

Initial reservation was made at the Malmaison’s sister hotel ‘Hotel Du Vin’, which they subsequently had to cancel due to a new booking taking priority, I was disappointed at first but agreed to switch my stay to the Malmaison as we had made plans, which meant we had to be in the town centre for the night, so we had no real choice. I had reservations about the stay, as I had a night at the Malmaison in April and the experience wasn’t great and I know Hotel Du Vin is usually a more superior standard, however I should not have been worried, as it turned out that we had a really enjoyable evening!

There was a little queue at check in, but the clerk apologised and as soon as we were seen to it was a fast and efficient process. We had booked a deal that included champagne in the room, dinner and breakfast. The room was already prepared with an ice bucket and the champagne and we were also given some delicious chocolate truffles, the champagne was own brand, but it was really nice and a good bargain considering it was included in the deal. Room size was good, with a lovely comfortable double bed made up with crisp bedding. Bathroom also a good size, stocked with shampoo, body wash, conditioner, soap and the normal toiletries you’d expect in any decent hotel.

We enjoyed some cocktails in the bar prior to our evening meal, the cocktails were delicious and you get a bircher pot full of nuts/dried corn, which was nice. For dinner we shared the chateaubriand steak, which was delicious and cooked to perfection. The waiting staff were good, attentive and not over bearing. I was impressed with the food and service! The bar and restaurant have been refurbished quite recently, so have a nice modern look and are enjoyable surroundings.

Breakfast in the morning was served in the restaurant, with a continental selection including yoghurt, cereal, juice, pastries and the most delicious homemade granola! We also opted to pay the small additional of £4 per head (if I remember rightly) to upgrade and have a cooked breakfast, I had salmon and scrambled eggs, which was tasty and filling, my Boyfriend had sausage and bacon muffins which he also enjoyed.

My only constructive feedback would be that the bedrooms are looking a bit tired now, it’s not a new hotel anymore, so there are things that do need touching up here and there and maybe new carpets throughout, which would freshen it up! I remember having plenty stays here years ago, when it was newer and would love to see the rooms returned to their former glory.

I’ll likely return to the Malmaison in Newcastle again at some point, some of the deals you can snag are great value for money and the most recent stay I had was a good one.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear melb8888,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I would like to apologise that your initial reservation was not upheld, however it’s great to hear that we could accommodate you and that you had a great stay at Malmaison.
It’s great to hear that our reception team looked after you so well during the check in process and that this was a fast and efficient process.

It’s great to hear that you found the package good value for money and that you enjoyed the Champagne. This feedback is always greatly appreciated.
With regards to the room and bathroom, thank you for your positive comments about the size and cleanliness of both of these. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the amenities.
It’s also great to read that you had some cocktails in our bar area. I agree the cocktails are delicious and I’m so glad that you loved our newly refurbished bar area.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your dining experience. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the Chateaubriand and that you found our brasserie staff to be helpful and attentive. It’s lovely to read that you also enjoyed your breakfast the following morning and that you tried both our buffet and hot cooked options.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the wear and tear of the hotel. These comments have been taken on board and have been passed on to our maintenance team. As for the carpets, this is something that cannot be changed imminently, however has highlighted a consideration for us in the near future.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Newcastle again soon.

Richard Lockstone

Write a ReviewReviews (2,526)

Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

Food was beautiful. Had the champagne afternoon tea and they even offered us complimentary glass of bubbles as I had just got engaged. Tessie served us shewas a lovely lady made us feel welcome and comfortable. Would deffo come again and have food or maybe even stay the night. The only thing I could fault was the automatically put on a sur charge without asking. I like to leave a tip if want to not be forced.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Dear jadewilkie09,

Thank-you for taking the time to write your review and congratulations on your engagement!

It’s lovely to read that you enjoyed Champagne Afternoon Tea and that we were able to offer you a complimentary glass of bubbles to celebrate your recent engagement.

It’s so great to read that Tessie looked after you so well and made you feel welcome at Malmaison.

I would like to apologise for your comments regarding the service charge on your bill. This is added automatically but is not required to be paid and can be removed if the guest wishes. We add a service charge onto the end of the bill, as this is a lot fairer way of distributing tips between all staff involved in the experience, including to back of house kitchen staff. Once again I would like to apologise for this not being clear to you on the day.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Newcastle on your next stay with us and once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

Just had the pleasure of staying at the Malmaison in Newcastle. We were a little bit early but were given the key to our upgraded room. The upgrade was free of charge.The reception staff member was most helpful and knew about our restaurant reservation and the type of stay we had booked. The room was excellent and the sofa was a welcome extra. We had a cocktail in the bar again served with a smile. The food in the restaurant was first rate and I would highly recommend the pork mixed grill. The waiting service was friendly and our table had the most fantastic view over the Tyne. We had a good nights sleep and a friendly check out. I don't think that this visit will be our last to Malmaison. Thanks for making us feel special.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Yvonne C,

Thank-you for taking the time to write your review.

It’s lovely to read that your check in experience was of a high standard and that the reception team were personable and on hand to help you have a memorable stay at Malmaison Newcastle. It’s also great to reads that we were able to offer you an complimentary upgrade and an early check in, which I’m sure made your stay even more memorable.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the service you received in both the bar and the brasserie. We pride ourselves in delivering the highest possible customer experience and it’s great to receive feedback confirming this.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed food in our Brasserie and that you loved the fantastic views over the river Tyne.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Newcastle on your next visit and once again thank you for your positive comments.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

We stay here regularly while on business in Newcastle and always look forward to our visits.
The rooms are excellent with amazing beds! The hotel has a superb atmosphere and decor, and the staff are always very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast is always a pleasure and Tirso always greets us with a lovely welcome. We look forward to our next visit in a couple of weeks time.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Hywel B
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Dear Hywel B,

Thank-you for taking the time to write your review.

It’s lovely to read that you enjoy your time with us for your regular visits to Newcastle. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to Tirso.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

WHAT A FANTASTIC NIGHT!
I didn’t know what to expect at the Call my Bluff Wine Dinner at The Malmason Newcastle, in fact, I was a little bit nervous, as I'm not a wine connoisseur. Thankfully, that didn't matter.
Straight away, our host, Richard, made us all feel at ease with an arrival drink and well tasty canapés.
Basically, the night involves a delicious five course menu, paired with some cracking wines. Richard and Adam then talk about the wine at each course and you have to guess who is telling the truth.
The food is amazing, very good quality indeed, and the wines were fantastic too.
The banter between Richard and Adam also added to a thoroughly enjoyable night, highly recommended!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank duffmanwales

Dear duffmanwales,

Thank-you for taking the time to write your review.

It’s a pleasure to read your comments following your time with us for our Call my Bluff wine dinner. It sounds like you had a great evening with us!