“Just so good”
Review of Akbars

Akbars
Ranked #211 of 1,370 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

A really nice atmosphere in here, staff very friendly and helpful with ordering your food.
Always a pleasure to eat here.

1  Thank Zaki28
Write a ReviewReviews (1,481)

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

I have been to Akbars in Manchester (near MUSI) many times. However, this was my first visit to the one in Toon (near Holiday Inn in Grainger Town).
Whilst as busy as the one in Manchester, we were seated straight away, rather than having to wait at the bar.
The interior is very spacious and much better than in Manchester, with floor to ceiling windows.
As you'd expect, the menu is exactly the same.
The onion bhaji and kebabs are great for starters (not forgetting the lamb chops!).
Good choice of mains but be aware some dishes are described as 'meat' rather than specific beef, lamb etc. If you're feeling adventurous you can have camel.
Always remember to order your nann bread on its stand!

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Me & my husband ate here Fri 25th May.
I ordered the Korma & my husband the Meat Feast. We usually love our food here but the chicken in my dish was horrible. When asked by the waiter if everything was ok I told him it wasn’t. No discount was offered. I left most of the meal. I was told that an alternative could of been given- I didn’t want anything after being put off. That night I was horrendously ill which can only be from this meal. 4 days later writing this review I am still unwell
Very disappointed !!!!!!!!

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Having eaten here previously I have always enjoyed the food - and the atmosphere. The service was poor, took 10 minutes to get a glass for a beer. Had to ask multiple times for everything, waiting staff protocol seems over engineered. Food was either over spiced or tasteless. My butter chicken was just awful. Something has changed here, and it’s not for the better.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I decided to try Akbar’s based on fantastic reviews from family and friends. However, upon our visit, we were very disappointed. The chicken was dry in my chicken Tika Masala, it was very under seasoned as well.
My girlfriends lacked flavour and was really sickening. We hope this is just down to a wrong choice in ordering. With such good reviews and fantastic recommendations, we hope that it is just a one off. We will give it another chance in the future as the restaurant was a lovely area with fantastic staff (could not fault them at all).