“Disappointment”
Review of Akbars

Akbars
Ranked #211 of 1,368 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Me & my husband ate here Fri 25th May.
I ordered the Korma & my husband the Meat Feast. We usually love our food here but the chicken in my dish was horrible. When asked by the waiter if everything was ok I told him it wasn’t. No discount was offered. I left most of the meal. I was told that an alternative could of been given- I didn’t want anything after being put off. That night I was horrendously ill which can only be from this meal. 4 days later writing this review I am still unwell
Very disappointed !!!!!!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,480)

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Having eaten here previously I have always enjoyed the food - and the atmosphere. The service was poor, took 10 minutes to get a glass for a beer. Had to ask multiple times for everything, waiting staff protocol seems over engineered. Food was either over spiced or tasteless. My butter chicken was just awful. Something has changed here, and it’s not for the better.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I decided to try Akbar’s based on fantastic reviews from family and friends. However, upon our visit, we were very disappointed. The chicken was dry in my chicken Tika Masala, it was very under seasoned as well.
My girlfriends lacked flavour and was really sickening. We hope this is just down to a wrong choice in ordering. With such good reviews and fantastic recommendations, we hope that it is just a one off. We will give it another chance in the future as the restaurant was a lovely area with fantastic staff (could not fault them at all).

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

I went to Akbar for my girlfriend’s birthday and it was great !
Food was very nice I order a chicken tikka masala which was (little bit spicy) but very tasty. My friends ordered the family Naan bread and I must say it was the biggest naan bread I had ever come across. I would therefore recommend it if you’re sharing it with at least 2/3 people.
It was all very cheap !

Quick warning: I told them that it was my girlfriends birthday as we arrived just so they can wish them happy birthday . However, to everyone’s surprise, a birthday song started playing and they came out with ice cream and a candle on top wishing her happy birthday . This was great however , we did not expect to get charged for the ice cream as we only said it was her birthday.

Overall , if you’re looking for great food and a great atmosphere at a reasonable price then get yourselves to Akbars however do expect to pay for the ice cream before you say it’s anyone’s birthday !

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited Akbars for the first time last night. On arrival we were seated after a few minutes and the service was prompt and efficient (not to much though so you didn't feel rushed or invaded). We ordered drinks and tray of poppadoms and pickles while we browsed the menu and once our appetizers and mains were ordered they arrived seamlessly and with perfect timing. The meals weren't visually what we were expecting but they were all good. I was particularly looking forward to my naan after seeing other diners arrive on a large hanging hook but if you want one of these they need to be plain or garlic as be other varieties come flat - I ordered a peshwari and it was still nice and light and tasty but didn't have the 'wow'factor like the hanging naans. Portion sizes are good and prices reasonable. Will definitely book again to return.

1  Thank Marie L