See what travellers are saying:
An EasyToBook.com traveler
Dover kent
Reviewed 29 June 2015

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 31 May 2015

I have never been to Guildford and am a little bit of a snob as in clean well dressed polite I thoroughly enjoyed myself bar staff food and managers Lisa and Andy Hamilton also the locals. Seriously go there don't believe everything you read mine too. Experience it first hand

Room tip: The name say it all
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ninalawrence1234
Reviewed 16 April 2015

Having read some of the reviews on here thought I would give it a go.
The room was clean, I had no problems with anyone in the bar, the cooked breakfast for £7.00 is a belter with a nice latte.
Sports on in the bar, had the steak and ale pie one night and the Chicken breast in Jerk sauce the next night, good value and nice food.
The price of the rooms you cant really quibble about, and the staff were very helpful and polite. If your working away from home really cant fault it for the price.
Accommodation wasn't noisy and stayed in the annex at the rear of the pub.
Plenty of contractors staying here and does have a decent selection of beers in the bar.

Would I stay here again?
I would have no problems staying here again.
If you want five star luxury the Holroyd isn't for you, spend £170.00 a night in town, if you want a cheap place to stay where you can grab a bite to eat and a few pints after work with great staff, then this place will be hard to beat for the price.

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Global_monkey
Reviewed 27 October 2014

I wish I had read the other reviews before staying at The Holroyd. £50 per night is not only a rip off for this dump, it's nigh on theft. I was shown to the room in the annexe at the back on arrival and I should have known it was a "wrong-un" when the smell of bad air hit me on entering the room. I had to go straight out and didn't get back till late, so didn't check the room out immediately. I got back at 10:45 pm so went into the pub for a pint before going to bed. The pub was full of locals who gave me the hairy eyeball and the atmosphere was decidedly hostile. The landlady seemed happy enough dancing behind the bar; I asked for a pint. A local then came to the bar so she told me to wait while she served him. I moved up the bar and managed to get served by another barman. The beer was ok, then I went to bed.

I switched the main light on and only one out of two worked (see photo). I went to switch the bedside light on and there was no bulb in it (see photo). I pulled back the duvet and saw what looked like a muddy pawprint on the sheet (see photos); it looks as thought the sheets haven't even been changed! I decided to stay dressed to go to bed as I didn't want my skin next to the dirtly linen and at least I had fresh clothes for the next day and would be able to get clean in the shower......

Well at least the main bathroom light worked. There were cobwebs around the ceiling, which normally you might forgive if that was the only issue. I went to brush my teeth and tried the mirror light, which wouldn't switch on. On removing the light cover I saw there was no bulb (see photo), so I replaced the cover. I then look in the plughole and can't think what was partially blocking it (see photo)! A quick survey of the shower made me seriously doubt whether I wanted to use it in the morning (see photos). The black mould was terrible. No effort had been made to clean it for god knows how long. Even a quick wipe with tissue would remove it (see photo).

I reluctantly got into bed. The pub music was playing loudly so I thought I'd turn the TV on quietly to cover the exterior noise and hopefully drift off to sleep. The noise of the pub and other residents continued. I was in room 6 (laughingly called "The Sir Belvedere" suite). At around 3:30am the party in room 5 started getting louder. Clearly an argument was raging and around 4:15am the fight broke out. after about half an hour this subsided. I had to leave at 6:15am so didn't get a lot of sleep.

This is without a shadow of doubt, quite the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. No redeeming features whatsoever. Having read the other reviews now, there is clearly no point in contacting the landlady for a refund. I think a report and copy of this review will be wing its way to Trading Standards. This place needs to be closed down.

Utterly disgusted.

Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
6  Thank Mark_Darby
Reviewed 29 September 2014

Lisa the land lady is very welcoming and will do everything she can too help you, the food is nice and fresh from the soul station. Stoford press cider £3,30 pint, Big screen sports, safe parking, clean rooms with tea, coffee and kettle.
we are contractors working away from home and for the money I would recommend it any day

Date of stay: August 2014