“Fourth visit this year ”
Review of The Duke Of York

The Duke Of York
Ranked #14 of 595 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

I've read a few reviews on here about this place and comments about it being pricey etc.

It's not the Ritz. It's also not the 'wannabe central' Wayfarer. If you want pretentious and all that go there! Also if you're buying fillet steak yes you pay for it... otherwise buy a decent grill pan and cook yourself a steak from Griffins.

If you want good honest food, friendly service and happy kids (that's what I get when I take mine) then be prepared for good food that in my eyes isn't 5 star but is really good tasty food that never fails to deliver!

Date of visit: August 2017
2  Thank drunkenskunken

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Visited on 28.7.17 after many great reviews. Very much a let down. The only highlight was the steak, which I couldn't fault. The rest of the meal was very average. The steak carried the rest of the meal. At an average £20 odd per steak meal I would have expected a better standard.
The pub itself is in need of a clean up. The chair I sat in was rickety. Changed it for another equally rickety one. Beer mats dirty. Cheapest napkins. Dirty looking old, worn menus. There was an old pub smell too.
Staff pleasant enough.
Ordered sauce separate but my meal came with sauce all over, this was however changed but then there was a delay with eating meals at the same time with partner.
Issues with trying to pay by debit card which was down to a fault with the machine.
In the meantime was put in awkward position of another customer feeling sorry for me and offering to pay for my meal. Very embarrassed.
I had to drive to a cash machine nearby and return to pay. All this added up to nearly an hour trying to pay. Staff didn't seem to understand how embarrassed I had felt due to their machine not working. No offer of any comps (not that I ever except anyway but would have been nice to have been offered). The staff suffered as a result because I left no tip, which I usually always do.
All in all was disappointed after reading all the great reviews. Unfortunately I won't be calling for a bit of tea again, which at £60 for 2 steak meals, a bottle of wine and a lager, would have been a nice repeat bit of custom. Too pricey for a pub that is in need of a few basic touch ups in presentation and attention to detail if it really wants to compete for the prices charged.

4  Thank paulnixon73
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Excellent food, if you remember the Plough at Etruria you must come here. Same chef, same excellent food. Place was quiet when we went but it was mid week. Certainly go again!

2  Thank NEJ74
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Had chicken liver pâté which was lovely, then fillet steak with Diane sauce, my husband had the same apart from peppercorn sauce. Homemade chips lovely, steak cooked perfectly not a compliment but wee bit to much sauce for me. No way could either of us have a pudding, but we did have a French coffee made lovely. Waiters very polite and helpful. Will be going back

1  Thank Kath150
Reviewed 15 July 2017

Our go to pub for lunch. Always consistent and never disappoints. Superb friendly, efficient staff and great range of drinks. Try the prawn cocktail, chicken goujons or Hunter's chicken sandwich for a super lunch.