All reviews no lift town centre full english breakfast was excellent friendly hotel only stayed one night good size bridal suite some tlc bottled water night porter visiting lichfield free parking pleasant stay comfortable bed saturday night road noise
Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

On entering reception the receptionist was busy on the telephone repeating over and over that he was not fully informed and that he would call back once he had the information required. It was quite some time before he acknowledged our presence. He eventually booked us in handing me the usual paperwork and sent us up to our room on the top floor. On arrival I opened up the card folder only to find no electronic door card but instead the paper record that should have been retained in reception. I had to return to reception to correct the error.
The room was clean albeit carpet fraying at the edges. The mattress was to firm for comfort and the pillows far thin for our liking.
It became apparent to us that this hotel is more suited to accommodating workmen rather couples on a break.
The hotel does not provide for evening meals despite having a rather nice restaurant type room used for breakfast. This is the one saving grace for this hotel, they do a great full English, freshly cooked and well presented by a smartly dressed waitress.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Angela B, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

I am sincerely very sorry that our Receptionist was busy when you arrived at the hotel and it was sometime before your presence was acknowledged. Furthermore, once your room had been located, it was evident that you had not been given your electronic door card and you had the need to return to Reception.

At Cathedral Hotel, we pride ourselves on offering our guests a superior standard of service throughout their visit, and I am sorry that we didn’t create the best first impression on this occasion.

We do have an ongoing refurbishment program running at the hotel and your observations regarding the carpet and bedding have been taken onboard.

Our Chef and breakfast waitress have asked me to thank you for your great comments regarding our food offering and service. Our hardworking team find your kind words very gratifying.

Our main cultural value is to make our guests happy, and we hope that you will consider a return visit in the near future to experience first hand how much how staff like to look after our guests.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Stayed with my wife for 4 days during the school holidays, we wanted somewhere that was not to far to travel but was still somewhere different. The Cathedral hit the spot, and first impressions were encouraging, the reception staff were very welcoming and friendly on our arrival.
Our bedroom was at the front of the hotel over looking the main road, and as from my previous review when we stopped in Whetherby night time noise from the road wasn't really an issue, however due to our room being warm and the fact that I like to sleep with windows open, I did find the road noise a little bit off putting but this did not adversely effect my stay.
The room itself was very spacious with everything that I would expect, tea making facilities etc. There was an added bonus of a fold away ironing board and iron, which was a pleasant surprise, however on closer inspection of the room this was off set by the discovery of off cuts of carpet at the back of the bed, this was a shame as the room was nice.
The bathroom, in my opinion was also a let down by the mismatched door to the static shower class that was ineffective in preventing the water gathering near the toilet, this resulted in me moping up the excess water with a towel and finally to the sealing of the bath and surrounding area not really being up to standard.
Breakfast at the Cathedral was good, however, as somebody had previously mentioned the full English appeared to be swimming in oil, and as a consequence I after the first day had fried eggs. I must emphasis that, and give a special mention to the server, and unfortunately I didn't get her name she worked tirelessly on her own to ensure that not only myself and my wife were catered for but the entire breakfast room. At busy periods, she was assisted by a duty manager but well done to her she was great.
As previously mentioned, the reception staff were great and during my last night I was unfortunately woken by a group/party of foreign travellers who were being checked in, in the early hours of the Friday morning. This resulted in me having to go downstairs and speaking to both the reception, and some of the party regarding their level of noise and thankfully there was no levels of noise that disrupted my sleep further.
The next morning, as myself and my wife were going downstairs for our breakfast we were met by the duty manager who spoke to us at length , and explained to our satisfaction what measure had been taken over the incident.
To conclude, I would say that the hotel unfortunately as far as my room was concerned, requires an update. However, the staff are a credit to the owners with regards to their attitudes and professionalism. This was brought to my attention when we had a chat with a duty manager who summed it up by saying ' we work as a team, there are no managers and I don't see it as work as I enjoy it so much'

Room Tip: front bedroom can suffer from road traffic noise if windows are open at night
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Angela B, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Thank you for choosing Cathedral Hotel for your 4 day break.

Our staff are our greatest asset, and your lovely feedback regarding the warm welcome and superior standard of service offered throughout your stay is really appreciated by our dedicated team.

We do have a refurbishment program in place at the hotel and we have taken onboard your observations requiring remedial action.

I am sorry that your sleep was broken by noise from other guests. We do ‘police’ the hotel at night so that disruption of any kind is resolved immediately, however some people still choose to disregard the comfort and wellbeing of others. I am pleased that the Duty Manager spoke with you both the following morning to offer our sincere apologies. Thank you for your understanding in this regard.

Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast, this has been discussed with Chef, who would like to be associated with my apologies.

I am delighted that you witnessed first hand how much our fantastic team like to make our guests happy, and I hope that you will choose to return to Cathedral Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Nice welcome from the receptionist and indeed staff were very good throughout.

Common parts and room were rather dated but bathroom, towels and bedding were immaculate. As it was a one night stay en route, it suited our needs.

It is just a short walk to town and our room was very quiet, facing the side road.

There's nothing flashy about the hotel but the price point is bang on for what you get, made all the better by smiley friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Catussehaut
Angela B, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

So pleased you received a warm welcome at check in and were offered friendly service throughout your visit from our dedicated team.

I am delighted that you enjoyed a quiet room and consider the hotel to be well located and good value for money.

We hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

We booked 3 rooms here as we were attending a wedding nearby. We had emailed ahead about an early check-in and this was accommodated. The housekeeper came to reception as we were checking in and said she’d got the rooms ready for us. The rooms we had were a good size, were spotlessly clean and comfortable. When we first sat on the bed, it felt quite hard, however, we slept very well so it must have been very comfortable. The decor was a little dated but I believe refurbishment is underway. The staff were very pleasant and breakfast was lovely with a good choice.
The only downside is the number of stairs. Not great if you have mobility problems.
We would definitely stay here again though.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing our family owned Cathedral Hotel for your overnight stay while attending a wedding nearby.

So pleased that your spotlessly clean and comfortable room met your expectations and you slept well.

The hotel has 2 floors, both accessible via the stairs only, the hotel does not have a lift, however if our guests have mobility problems, a room can be reserved on the first floor and we are happy to assist with baggage.

We do have an ongoing refurbishment program running at the hotel, and we hope that when you return in the near future, you will be able to see all the improvements we have made.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Arriving on a Friday night and leaving on a Sunday morning we had 2 x twin rooms with breakfast both mornings. The rooms were just enough to keep us all happy in between exploring the city. The breakfasts were huge but tasty and hot, but it was top-class, friendly service from the staff that made me write this review.
The receptionist went out of his way to make us all feel welcome and allowed us to watch the rugby from Australia (9am in the morning) in the bar and he served us our breakfasts there.
Excellent, friendly service!!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends

Our fantastic staff are our greatest asset and I am so pleased that they really went that extra mile during your stay. Hope the outcome of the rugby was favourable?

We hope that you will choose to return to our family owned Cathedral Hotel when you are planning another visit to our lovely City of Lichfield.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon