“Rude,disinterested staff.”

George and Pilgrims Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Glastonbury
Reviewed 25 September 2017

I booked 2 nights at the George and Pilgrims on booking.com 3 weeks ahead of my stay. I used the 'pets allowed' filter as I was planning to take my dog. This hotel repeatedly came up at the top of the list with the filter applied. Just to be sure, I sent a message on the special request section of the booking form asking if it was ok to bring my dog. I received no contact from the hotel and the day before I left I sent an email to say 'haven't heard from you, but arriving as planned with one well behaved dog tomorrow' .... nothing. I arrived after a 3 hr drive and stood at reception waiting to be checked in and was ignored for a good 4-5 mins, despite making polite noises. The man behind the reception window (large,grey hair and beard) said 'we don't allow dogs.' I mentioned the two messages I had sent, which he found on my booking, but neither of which had they apparently seen. He called someone else who also said no, then said there was nothing he could do. He couldn't have cared less, his attitude was appalling. He swore at me when I left after I had said their customer service left a lot to be desired. Horrible man.

Needless to say I went off in search of somewhere else to stay that night. Looking around, I was quite relieved that I didn't actually spend a night there, it was grubby, very tatty, dark and dingy. There were bits of paper stuck up on the walls stating they didn't allow dogs in most of the downstairs rooms either by the look of it.

So, beware fellow travellers with furry friends, this hotel is definitely not dog friendly, nor in fact is it very people friendly!

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
7  Thank PennypupChichester

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

We stayed for one night here. Staff were welcoming but the rooms were very tired. We appreciate that the hotel is very old, that's why we chose it, but we didn't expect the carpet in the room to be as old. It was filthy! Their wasn't any toiletries except a bottle of shampoo. When you pay over £100 a night I thought there would of been some shower gel at least. We left at 7.30 am but breakfast doesn't start till 8am but was told we could help ourselves to tea and cereal. The dining room is made up of garden furniture. No attention to detail.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Graham726
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

My friend and I visit have been visiting Glastonbury town for over 10 years, we visit 3 times a year and always stop at this hotel, generally we have a pleasant time.

On this occasion however it wasn't so pleasant, staff were rude and unhelpful. At breakfast time we ordered the full English breakfast and asked for the egg to be poached rather than fried. Minutes later we were informed the chef isn't prepared to do a poached egg, its either fried or scrambled.

We were prepared to ignore the hair in our salad at lunch, dismiss the damp all over the ceiling in our bedroom/bathroom...but the rudeness is too much. Shame on you George and Pilgrim, your standards have slipped terribly.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank RieBeeRowles
Reviewed 26 August 2017

I visited this pub last night whilst in Glastonbury for a couple of days. Please let me first put this incident into context; I am a 52 year old somewhat staid solicitor , travelling with two middle aged sisters and a small child.
I have been in this pub before on a previous visit, with children and not had a problem.
My sister's and the child settled into a little snug room and I went to the bar to order drinks. The child followed me. We had had a look at all the "spooky" stuff displayed in the "corridor" area for a while before so our presence had been lets say on dis[play for at least 10 minutes before we sat down.
Just about to walk to the snug room with the three drinks , as I turned around I can only describe it as a verbal attack came flying at me from nowhere. I had not said one word. The manner at which it hit me was such, i was so shocked I cant remember the exact words used. Speaking as if I had just committed some henious crime, the woman in question spat at me that I was to drink my drink as soon as possible and leave. Because there was a child . By the tone you would imagine a demon that had just ripped the fabric of the building down. He is a sweet shy 6 year old and he had run in the corridor it seemed. And children are not allowed in the bar after 9pm. I was not aware of this given our previous visit to the pub, the fact we had been in another pub the day before and I had not seen any signs. There are signs everywhere that say " No Dogs " I guess children and dogs are one of the same in Glastonbury. Further investigation later revealed one sign in the bar area , though this wasn't even a case of us drinking there; the child had just quietly followed me in when I was ordering drinks.
I put the drinks down and said to this woman , please refund these drinks and I shall leave. She once again, spat out her answer " I will not be refunding the drinks !!"
WOW !
I asked her for her name , which she refused to give - interesting. Nor would she call someone senior - I wonder why.
So who is this person ? Guess the management and brewery will want to know. Late 30's, early 40's. slim , straight blond hair to just below her shoulders. And of course most importantly the worse attitude I have ever seen .
It has left a very bitter taste . I shall not be returning to Glastonbury .

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
9  Thank Kay S
Reviewed 18 August 2017

I loved this place. I booked one of the rooms with the big four post beds in it. I was told it was haunted by an old lady and a knight but I did not see or hear anything and normally I do. The room was beautiful with a bay window, very large privet bathroom, and antique furniture. I want to go back and take my best friend with me since she is the person I normally travel with (she could not make it on this trip).

The bar served up the best fish and chips I had on my trip and everyone was very sweet and friendly.

Room Tip: Book early to get the room of your choice.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
5.5 km away
9.2 km away
Wookey Hole Hotel
Wookey Hole Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole

Been to George and Pilgrims Hotel? Share your experiences!