Meare Manor(Glastonbury)
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Apple Tree Inn(Glastonbury)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfour posterthe pubancient buildinglots of historylovely old hotelking henry viiisteeped in historyhigh streetposter bedpublic car parkoriginal featuresstayed for one nightfull englishbeautiful roomdouble roomvisiting glastonburyenjoyable stay
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel for our Wedding Anniversary. Booked a four poster room but when we got there this hadnt been booked properly - luckily they managed to get us into one of the other four poster rooms, which was just as nice. Very old and quirky place, but very clean and the staff were very helpful.

The hotel was right on the main high street so easy walking distance to all the shops and attractions.

We had our evening meal here too which was very nice, although a little expensive, but the atmosphere was great as we were there whilst Winter Solstice was going on so everyone was dressed up.

Breakfast was absolutely beautiful, well cooked and a lovely choice.

All in all a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the four-poster rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Lovely building in a great location. The room was comfortable, warm and very clean. The room was very good value and it was an ideal spot for a weekend break. We didn't eat in the hotel, but did go for a few drinks in the bar, which had a good atmosphere and seemed to be full of local characters. The breakfast was good. Unfortunately, the service, although polite, is virtually non-existent. The reception is not just unmanned, it is never actually open. You have to ask in the bar for your room key, and there is no-one to drop it off with in the morning. We had to ask the girl who was serving breakfasts to help. Basically you end up feeling like the guests are a bit of a hindrance to the smooth running of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SJJ21
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Well I don't think it's perfect. It's OK, but there just isn't any real management, there just isn't. There's bar staff, but no one in charge. If you have a problem with anything, food, room etc...nothing! You can look for someone, day or night, nothing, no one. Even ringing them is completely useless, no one ever answers!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I was only supposed to stay in Glastonbury one night, but I was so taken by the town and the locals that I added an extra night. I stayed in "the Nun's Cell." Many, if not all, of the 14 or 15 rooms don't have numbers on the door, but names referencing the ruins of the abbey across the street.

If I had any complaint at all, it was that the water in the shower was freezing! Other than that, it was wonderful. The staff was helpful and friendly, the location was completely perfect. My room was directly above the pub, which gets a bit loud at night, but I wouldn't expect it to be quiet. The food in the pub was very good too. Try the Steak Pie or the Duck Egg Omelet.

As an American (New Orleans) woman traveling alone (on my first time in Europe, no less), I was a little concerned about staying in such an unfamiliar place, but I didn't have any reason to worry. I felt perfectly safe the entire time.

The locals were also extremely welcoming. I enjoyed meeting many of the while enjoying a pint (or two... or three) in the pub at the hotel, or at the Marketplace Pub down the street. Beautiful scenery, friendly locals and a wonderfully weird atmosphere... Everything I expected from Glastonbury and more. I will definitely be back, and this will be where I stay!

Also, I don't know if it's true or not, but while in town, someone told me that Henry the Eighth stayed in the building while he supervised the burning of the Abbey. I'm also not positive that I didn't have an experience with one of the rumored ghosts.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the Nun's Cell, although the bed would have been uncomfortably small if I was a larger person. Also, if you value your sleep, ask for a room on the second floor (in America, this would be the third floor), or higher, if they have it. That way you'll be farther away from the pub sounds at night.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Nicole A
Reviewed 17 November 2011

This is a great historical landmark - the oldest purpose built public house in the South West. It's now still a great pub with a new chef and good menu. I stayed in the family room which sadly lacked the old carm of the other rooms with old four poster beds and crooked beams. Infact the room felt quite jaded, with a torn net curtain and scuffed walls. Despite this it was still a great place to stay and there was even some live music on the Friday night.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the family room if you are after somewhere that has alot of charm and character
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family