All reviewsfour posterthe pubancient buildinglots of historyking henry viiihigh streetposter bedsteeped in historypublic car parkoriginal featuresfull englishan evening mealdouble roomstayed for one nightbeautiful roomvisiting glastonburyghost
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Well I don't think it's perfect. It's OK, but there just isn't any real management, there just isn't. There's bar staff, but no one in charge. If you have a problem with anything, food, room etc...nothing! You can look for someone, day or night, nothing, no one. Even ringing them is completely useless, no one ever answers!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I was only supposed to stay in Glastonbury one night, but I was so taken by the town and the locals that I added an extra night. I stayed in "the Nun's Cell." Many, if not all, of the 14 or 15 rooms don't have numbers on the door, but names referencing the ruins of the abbey across the street.

If I had any complaint at all, it was that the water in the shower was freezing! Other than that, it was wonderful. The staff was helpful and friendly, the location was completely perfect. My room was directly above the pub, which gets a bit loud at night, but I wouldn't expect it to be quiet. The food in the pub was very good too. Try the Steak Pie or the Duck Egg Omelet.

As an American (New Orleans) woman traveling alone (on my first time in Europe, no less), I was a little concerned about staying in such an unfamiliar place, but I didn't have any reason to worry. I felt perfectly safe the entire time.

The locals were also extremely welcoming. I enjoyed meeting many of the while enjoying a pint (or two... or three) in the pub at the hotel, or at the Marketplace Pub down the street. Beautiful scenery, friendly locals and a wonderfully weird atmosphere... Everything I expected from Glastonbury and more. I will definitely be back, and this will be where I stay!

Also, I don't know if it's true or not, but while in town, someone told me that Henry the Eighth stayed in the building while he supervised the burning of the Abbey. I'm also not positive that I didn't have an experience with one of the rumored ghosts.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the Nun's Cell, although the bed would have been uncomfortably small if I was a larger person. Also, if you value your sleep, ask for a room on the second floor (in America, this would be the third floor), or higher, if they have it. That way you'll be farther away from the pub sounds at night.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Nicole A
Reviewed 17 November 2011

This is a great historical landmark - the oldest purpose built public house in the South West. It's now still a great pub with a new chef and good menu. I stayed in the family room which sadly lacked the old carm of the other rooms with old four poster beds and crooked beams. Infact the room felt quite jaded, with a torn net curtain and scuffed walls. Despite this it was still a great place to stay and there was even some live music on the Friday night.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the family room if you are after somewhere that has alot of charm and character
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I stayed recently at the George and wrote a really positive review on this site the morning we the hotel, but by mid afternoon myself and partner were covered head to toe in bed bug bites. I to tried to contact the management to warn them and talk the matter to no response!! Avoid at all cost or be eaten alive!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011
7  Thank jace123
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The George and Pilgrim is conveniently located in the centre of Glastonbury across the road from the abbey. It is a charming old inn, full of ambience - crooked beams, spiral staircases etc. Our room at the front on the first floor on first glance was delightful...with a handsome poster bed and a magnificent old fireplace (containing the TV).
However, the first grumble is about the remote control for the TV that had to be obtained from the bar on payment of a 10 pound deposit. We managed manual adjustment.
The second grumble is about the fellow residents of our handsome four poster bed - bed bugs! We spotted and killed 2 as we got into bed and didn't think any more about it until the following evening when I had come out in over 70 bed bug bites! Admittedly I have a hyper sensitivity to those sort of beasties (my partner didn't appear to be affected) but to spend the next week applying hydra cortisone cream and swallowing anti-histamines is not my idea of a holiday. Attempt to contact the hotel by email met with no response.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple