Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,102 results
All reviews the secret garden bar menu feature room dunster castle superior room public rooms roast beef bar area four poster bed sunday lunch lovely hotel great atmosphere ham staff were excellent new owners pudding old world charm
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 August 2019 via mobile

We have been to the Luttrell Arms a few times for family dinners and always really enjoyed it. The surroundings are just lovely. This time however (and I believe the visit before when had relatives over from Canada) has been disappointing. Yesterday we ate in the bar area and my mother is currently under temporary dietary requirements and the menu didn’t have anything that was vegetarian and not spicy (curried soup of the day so wasn’t an option).

So seeing ham, egg and chips on the bar menu we asked if we could instead have a cheese and tomato omelette with chips as a one off for her knowing it wouldn’t take much of a change to alter the eggs etc!

It wasn’t very busy so didn’t think it was too much to ask. We were then told at the bar quite directly by a tall dark haired young man that if it wasn’t on the menu, we couldn’t have it! So Mum had fried egg and chips instead and just ate it. No consulting the chef, or someone senior. Must admit if I hadn’t have wanted to let my father deal with it - I’d have stepped in.

I’d ordered the pan fried lamb on a Greek salad to find when served the plate was hot so felt wrong with salad on a hot plate - but again - ate it (was so hungry).

The waitresses seemed friendly enough though so the service element itself was positive.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2019

We visit this hotel usually a couple of times a year, mainly off-season. They didn’t seem to be coping well with demand for food this weekend, and Sunday night had a particularly dismal and stressed feel to it, so we retreated to our room and fell back on our trail food.
The new cabin in the garden is a nice idea - but you actually have to staff it, not leave it empty for extended periods. I had to go foraging on Saturday to find someone - reception wouldn’t take a food order, the bar seemed to have only one person serving and three waiting already.
Sunday night, we came back through the garden - several uncleared tables, and a few inside as well. They were only serving food to guests and the choice from an already reduced menu was shrinking by the minute.
Dismal, stressey and overall, unwelcoming.
As luck would have it, they hadn’t cleared our room service breakfast and so we had a bowl, some cereal and milk (lucky because they forgot this) in the room fridge.

Date of stay: August 2019
Becca W, Manager at The Luttrell Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2019

Thanks for your comments and understanding, it hasn't been the best weekend for us! It wasn't the calm and peaceful ambiance you will be used to as 'out of season visitors'; It has been tremendously busy weekend and whilst we love the buzz we had a few unforeseen circumstances and somewhat buckled under the pressure. We are all only human after all! I hope this will not deter you from visiting again soon and I hope that you can forgive us.

Reviewed 25 August 2019

We were stunned by the features in this ancient building. We had a drink at lunchtime and decided to go back for dinner that evening. The service was great but sadly the food was quite average. We complained about one dish and so they knocked the drinks off the bill.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor, I am sorry to read that your meal wasn't up to scratch but thank you for bringing it to our attention and allowing us to attempt to rectify it at the time. I hope that you will call in again next time you are in the area, there is lots to see in and around Dunster especially if you like history and we would love the opportunity to show you how good both the service and food are usually here at The Luttrell Arms.

Reviewed 22 August 2019

Visiting family for the day, they took us to beautiful Dunster and we had lunch here. It is a lovely hotel very quaint and comfortable with friendly staff and plenty of seating. We went in garden which was very pleasant. Menu was very good ,a tad expensive, but expect that being in Dunster. I ordered a "Fish Ploughmans" but I asked my husband to check what fish was in it. He was told prawns, crab, salmon and octopus which all sounded very yummy. When it came it looked very pretty, but a lot of pickles, (eight pickled onions) a large gerkin and a bowl of picalilli.The fish was a strange mixture of anchovy, mussels (I think), octopus,scallops,what looked like crabstick? and a large prawn all in an oily rather sharp dressing. I think I had been imaging something quite different, and also felt slightly misled by what we had been told. The fish flavours just did not marry up with pickles and grapes and apple - it was not for me, my husband ate the fish and I had a a bit of his fish finger sandwich. Im sad to say I was very disappointed, as the star of the show on the plate was not the fish,but the pickled onions they were divine.

Date of stay: August 2019
Becca W, Manager at The Luttrell Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2019

Thank you for your review and feedback regarding the seafood ploughman's. We do get some lovely comments regarding this dish so i am sorry that you found it disappointing. It isn't a fish platter as perhaps you were expecting. I hope that this won't put you off from visiting us again and trying something different.

Reviewed 21 August 2019 via mobile

We booked four rooms for a family break. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and the building stepped in history. The rooms were very well presented and clean. We also had the breakfast which was excellent and again with great service. On the down side there is no parking specifically for the hotel and Dunster is very busy so street parking is very difficult. There is a public carpark about 150 metres from the hotel which they reimburse for.. however it's a bit of a trek with all of your luggage especially with the British weather.. also having to remember to renew the car park ticket each morning.

As it is a pub with rooms there is no specific restaurant for staying guests. So when the pub is busy it's a bit of a free for all finding some where to sit and eat. There is a restaurant but again it's best to book in advance as we couldn't get a table for our group as another large group was also booked the same night.

If you have mobility issues then it may be an issue as its an old building on many different levels with steep stairs.

All in all it was a good stay.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for your review and i am glad that all in all you had a good stay with us.

I am sorry that you struggled with the parking, we advise guests to use the space outside the hotel where you can pull up to load or unload if by chance there is no parking available, I realise that it isn't ideal but we will always offer to help with luggage and do all we can to assist with parking. We would love to have a private car park but we hope that our location at the center of this medieval village makes up for this shortfall.

With regard to the restaurant and dining at the hotel, I'm sorry you found it hard to find yourselves a table, we try to accommodate our residents as a priority and as such email all arriving guests to ask if they want to book a table in our restaurant ahead of their arrival to avoid disappointment as we do get very busy. I can only apologise if we didn't offer you the opportunity to reserve a table on this occasion.

With regards to mobility issues we have just refurbished a beautiful ground floor bedroom with stunning bathroom and walk-in shower, room 1, perhaps if you stay again I can suggest you request this room, but as you say the hotel has lots of steps, cobbles and uneven floors but i hope you agree that this gives the hotel its charm!