“Good food, lovely atmosphere. ”

The Bathwick Boatman
Ranked #17 of 648 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Bathwick Boatman is a tranquil slice of gastronomic heaven, located just 10 minutes stroll from Bath's city centre on the picture-perfect banks of the River Avon. Run by husband and wife restaurateur team Ben and Rosy Hall, the restaurant is set in an old rowing club with beautiful river views and a cosy, rustic ambience. After training in Italy and Spain, Ben worked in Miami before returning home to Britain, and his simple, seasonal menu is full of robust flavours and represents good old-fashioned value for money. The Bathwick Boatman has a divine summer terrace, and is perched just above Bath's historic boating station, where you can hire a punt or a rowing boat for a post-meal paddle.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited here for a family occasion, at lunchtime, for two milestone birthdays. I spoke to the staff several times before our visit about the booking. I think it was the same lady both times, and she was very helpful.
Our ‘surprise’ guests arrived before we did, and they were happily sitting at our table waiting for us. The menu had a good variety, and the whole meal was delicious, served by the same lady I spoke to, I think.
We had one vegetarian in our party and there was choice for her, not just a token one dish.
The setting is beautiful, for us autumn colours, but I can imagine in the summer with the doors and windows open it would be wonderful.
Thank you to the lovely lady for making our meal special. Definitely a good choice, we would recommend this lovely restaurant.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Meant to visit here for ages as I'd heard great things about it. The food was incredibly good and well priced James our waiter was so professional and charming. We all had a brilliant meal , all beautifully presented. I will definitely be back.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 4 November 2018

We went to a wedding reception here, after a trip up the river from Poultenay Weir & the food was absolutely delicious, well presented & so enjoyable - I had free range chicken in a mushroom & white wine sauce wih vegetables & potatoes & gorgeous Chocolate Brownie with salted caramel ice cream. ! We also had canapés here which too were lovely. Staff friendly & wine reasonably priced. Lovely position by the river & nice rustic ambience. Room for dancing too. Would thoroughly recommend.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

We picked this restaurant based on the reviews here and could not have been happier.

We were made to feel very welcome and the food was outstanding. It is rare for a group of 8 having 3 courses to not find one dish which is a little weak but they were all amazing.

The calamari just melted in your mouth and the mushroom hotpot was so beautiful I didn’t want it to end.

Service was great and the ambience matched it.

This was a real find and one I would very happily recommend to other visitors to Bath.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

So lovely here. I took my wife for dinner and had such a wonderful meal I decided to take our kids with us for Sunday lunch. Now, that’s a bit more of a challenge as my youngest has a dairy and sesame allergy. Yes the sesame one like in the news about Pret. It’s always a worry so phoned ahead to ask. They were lovely - very careful and gave us full details and even went out to get dairy free ice cream for dessert (try Ben and Jerry’s new range it’s awesome). Beautiful setting and lovely lunch - I had the duck patte, followed by roast lamb and then salted choc caramel warm brownie. The house merlot is also a glass of rich joy. They gave my youngest salad with oatcakes, the roast lamb, and chocolate cookies ice cream. She was happy, which means we were happy. It’s good to find somewhere that cares and copes (the main stay restaurants like Pizza Express, Carluccios, Weatherspoins etc all cope well with allergies but the food isn’t in the same league). This is a gem of a little restaurant with the most wonderful food and charming service. My wife paid too as it was my birthday, so I have no idea what it costs - double win! {Sorry to the staff if we stressed you out with the allergy thing - the Pret news has highlighted it recently. We live with it and have to check everything we ever give her - but it was a true delight and we are most grateful for such a treat}.

Date of visit: October 2018