“Evening meal - Roman to Georgian package ”

The Pump Room Restaurant
Ranked #76 of 638 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Four adults, a couple and two seniors took the Roman to Georgian package.

This package involves a visit to the Roman baths and a four course meal at the Pump Room restaurant.

The Roman Baths was an incredibly interesting experience. We did the visit prior to our meal (you can do the meal first then the Roman Bath visit if you'd prefer). Recommend allow two hours for the Roman baths and a further two hours for the meal.

We arrived in the Pump Rooms rather hungry and were quickly seated.

The meal started out with a choice of cocktail or mocktail (in the package). Very nice.

Starters were generous. Our party enjoyed thoroughly. Options were ham hock terrine, goats cheese or chilled soup. We tried each of the options between us. Well cooked and tasty.

A to die for raspberry sorbet soaked in champagne was served next. Lovely!

We then had mains - of the options available we had Barnsley chop, Tuna Niciose, Tofu salad and fish cakes. All tastes wonderfully balanced. Person eating tofu was trying it for first time - they described it as a firework display of fantastic flavours.

Last was the dessert. We all went for the roasted peaches with brown sugar meringue. This was also superb and a fitting end to the evening.

Staff were helpful, knowledgeable and courteous.

Throughout the evening a pianist played whilst we ate. This added to the ambiance of this truly beautiful restaurant.

We had a fabulous time and will be back!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,546)

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Our party of 6 went to the pump rooms for a cream tea to finish off a weekend spent away in Bath and we really shouldn't have bothered. The service is absolutely shocking. After ordering 4 cream teas and 2 rarebits we were presented with 3 cream teas and 3 portions of rarebit. Upon pointing out that the order was wrong our waiter, called Leve, proceeded to snap at us that we were wrong and that's what we'd ordered. Apparently we had all misheard our friend order a rarebit instead of a cream tea. After whisking away the plate of rarebit without so much as an apology, my friend was left with absolutely nothing and no word on whether he was going to receive his cream tea. After 20 minutes and by the time the rest of us had nearly finished we questioned where the cream tea was. At this point our waiter began arguing with us that we had ordered wrong, and it was our fault. It then transpired that he had cancelled my friends order. The manager finally intervened and said she would sort it out. She was lovely, took the cream tea off the bill and apologised for the mistake which we stated was not the issue, it was the fact that our waiter had been so rude. After finally getting what we had all actually ordered we tried to flag down a member of staff for the bill. We were ignored as we tried to speak to passing staff and it eventually took another 15 minutes to get to pay. The food was nice but the service was a huge disappointment. Don't waste your time or money unless you like getting shouted at by the serving staff.

2  Thank Arabella C
Reviewed 9 July 2017

This restaurant really surprised me, I was expecting a bit of a tourist trap however what I found was a quality restaurant, excellent service, lovely music and a great ambience.

We had a mini afternoon tea at at 5:00pm when most of the crowds had left. We ordered a plate of mini sandwiches and a lemon drizzle cake. I'm a bit of a connoisseur of lemon drizzle cake and this one was amongst the best I have tasted! At 6pm people were arriving for dinner and the piano music started, we stayed on for a glass of wine to soak up the atmosphere.

The next day as it was so good the previous evening we booked a table for 6pm for dinner, I had watercress soup, followed by lamb chop with new potatoes and summer greens - it was cooked to perfection.

I grew up in Bath and can't think of a nicer way for people to experience dining in the city.

A special mention for the staff, everyone who served us was professional and friendly which made the whole experience a treat.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Food was lovely at the time! Atmosphere was lovely. 40 minute waiting time to be seated, we had prepaid for lunch and arrived just before 2.00 unfortunately by the time we got seated we could only have afternoon tea. Well 6hrs later myself and my mother were fighting for the bathroom it was the only thing we had eaten that day I am incredibly disappointed as if has ruined the weekend for us I would never go back.

1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

The amazing Roman baths serve as a backdrop to a fantastic dining experience. Whether you choose breakfast, lunch, dinner or afternoon tea, the service is great and the atmosphere can't be beat.

Been to The Pump Room Restaurant? Share your experiences!