“Amazing new vegan cafe, fantastic food and fabulous staff”
Review of Chapel Arts Cafe

Chapel Arts Cafe
Ranked #55 of 648 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$3 - US$30
Cuisines: International, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Baths 2nd 100% vegan cafe! (Sister of Beyond The Kale) Check out our Instagram for daily posts about our food!
Reviewed 1 November 2018

We visited this cafe the other weekend and despite it being very recently reopened under new management I really cannot recommend this place enough!

Unlike many cafes that buy in their cakes we were delighted to see a beautiful array of homemade cakes on the counter and a mostly organic menu of plant based goodies. The staff were amazing, so friendly and passionate and the whole vibe of the cafe was very pleasant. The old chapel arts cafe only offered a somewhat bland selection of flatbreads which put us off returning, but the new 'Sky Blue Cafe' offers a huge selection vegan treats, I had the delicious thai soup and my partner had a gorgeous "Sky Blue Bowl" (see the pic) and after we had a gorgeous spiced apple muffin to share, which was one of the best vegan cakes i have ever tasted. It was very reasonably priced, especially for the quality of the food and being in central Bath! And you could really taste the love and passion put into the food. It was bustling with families and (even better) some very nice dogs so i really would recommend this cafe to everyone! It is a must visit in Bath.

Reviewed 28 October 2018

We eat everything. We used to like the previous cafe. I was keen to try the new Sky Blue Cafe. I know vegans don't eat anything animal based. The menu was a bit disconcerting, offering sauzage sandwich, fysh finger sandwich. My brain told me a fysh finger would be like a fish finger. I asked what a fysh finger was made of and I think I was told 'tofu' but I'm not sure. Anyway, it wasn't very nice and nothing like fish. The sauzage was better. My husband had chickpea and spinach curry which he said was very good. So I think they need to rename their menu items so non-vegans won't be confused. I'm sure they want plenty of non-vegan customers. We waited 25 minutes for our food, but we were early for lunch, just before 12.
The cafe area needs a bit of TLC. I looked under our table and there was a clump of human hair. So I then looked at the rest of the floor which was quite dirty. To be fair, it had rained that morning.
For what it was, the food was very expensive. If I went again, I'd order the soup or the curry. By the way, the bread was very nice!
I really hope they do well. It's very hard work running a restaurant. Good luck to them!

Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

Found this lovely friendly cafe after walking around Bath for an hour with my dog while my husband and boys went to the Roman Baths (not dog friendly ☹️)
The staff were welcoming to both me and my dog! Enjoyed a lovely coffee and the staff made a blueberry sauce especially for my 11 year old son to go with his vanilla icecream

1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 22 October 2018

Having so enjoyed the flatbread-based meals of the cafe that used to be here, I was excited to try the new vegan cafe that has just opened in its place. But what a disappointment - the earlier review by assidiousgirl is spot on.

The menu is limited and concentrates too much on meat substitutes. As a vegetarian, I don't want to be faced with faux fish fingers, sausages or burgers and find these meaty references positively off-putting. It must be even worse for many vegans.

There is so much that can be done with lentils, pulses, nuts, grains and salads without having to fall back on imitation meat. Eventually we decided on the leek and potato soup. While it was fairly flavoursome if a little over-salted, the portions were small and it was over-priced. The bread was served without the option of a vegetable spread (obviously no butter) so was quite dry.

It's early days for Sky Blue Cafe so perhaps the menu will become more interesting but I have my doubts. I'll keep an eye on the place to see if there's any improvement but with so much choice in Bath I wonder whether it has much chance of surviving.

1  Thank Chris A
Reviewed 12 October 2018

We have been massive fans of the previous two incarnations of this cafe and we were so lucking forward to this new venture opening after the departure of the previous team. However, the menu was very limited with too many faux meat dishes; do veggies/vegans really want pseudo sausage, fish and burgers when they are so many delicious plant based meals available?

The menu had several paragraphs detailing the origins and tastes of the numerous £3.50 cups of tea but we had not idea what the £8 or so "fish finger" sandwich, "sausage" or £10 "burger" was actually comprised of?

Given the (high) price of the food and the drinks, we were expecting something spectacular, either in taste or quantity but we were disappointed in both dimensions. £5 for a small cup of whizzed up fruit, £6.50 for a bowl of tomato soup and £10 for a tasteless veggie burger. The vegan cheese was insipid. We had differing views on the bread as it was very tough but was nicely grainy. Vegan food can be awesome as can be found at Beyond The Kale, The Acorn, Green Rocket, Rooted or good old Cascara, before it closed but this is just not a good example.

The place is also lacking in atmosphere with bright lights and no background music; the exact opposite of the chilled, relaxing atmosphere of the previous set up.

The customers of the old cafe were always interesting, creative and alternative but this appears to be a hang out for middle of the road newbie vegans looking for a meatless alternative of their old, favourite food? It's probably fine here for a cup of tea, some cake and a sarnie but vegan food can be so much better than that and so many places in Bath can offer the same but better tasting and better value.

The service was pleasant but no-one bothered to ask about the food, which is a little surprising when they are just starting out.

It's early days but unless things change quickly, this is not going to last in a competitive market such as Bath. It's simply too expensive and too bland.

Perhaps it's goes without saying, we won't be returning until we hear things have considerably improved.

5  Thank assidiousgirl