“Best Lasagne ever!”

Ranked #3 of 618 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: BOOKING IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. We are closed from 1st-14th August, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Easter Sunday & from 1st-14th January. Situated just a few steps away from the Roman Baths, our attractive and atmospheric restaurant is located in a charming candle lit historical cellar of natural Bath stone with vaulted ceilings throughout, and resembles the cavernous cellars of an Italian grotto.The main characteristic of our cuisine is its simplicity. We rely on the quality of our ingredients rather than on elaborate preparation.We also like to offer traditional Italian dishes with a contemporary twist because we strongly believe in those 'Sapori' (flavours).With our finest ingredients coming from Italy, and all of our fresh vegetables, seafood and meats sourced locally, we are able to ensure high quality dining that will exceed your expectations.
Reviewed 5 December 2015 via mobile

We were hungry and tired and looking for a good restaurant to eat. Tripadvisor showed this restaurant and it happened to be near where we were.. So we walked 10 mins and asked for a table. The manager told us they were full but agreed to check if there is a table.. I started praying for a table because we were too tired and hungry to search for another restaurant. Luckily, the manager gave us 1.5 hours to finah our lunch if we take a reserved table , which we gladly agreed. The food was no disappointment at all! The lasagne was just pure goodness. No unnecessary ingredients to make it taste special. Just plain good old taste. The service was excellent. The waiter was attentive and we feel like we are VIPs for a mere spending of GBP 70. Excellent experience!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,853)

Reviewed 5 December 2015 via mobile

Not that impressed ...food wasn't up to much ...pasta under cooked ....myv parter makes a better lasagne .....dissapointed wouldn't go back .....took my money never brought the change back .......I thought sod it ..keep it ....8 quid tip .. no won't be going back sorry...

11  Thank Tim H
Reviewed 5 December 2015 via mobile

Ok. With previous stellar reviews I need not comment on the great food.

This is a restaurant popular with couples and groups of couples. The vaulted stone walled cavern echoes with the many conversations. So noisy that it covers you in an enveloping blanket of warm sound. This is uncontaminated with musak.

The ladies as they strutted past our table presented their dresses and high heels as in a fashion parade. All slim and haughty so beyond our day to day familiarity.

This was only out done by a squad of slim waiters and waitresses all small Italian and uniformed in black shirts and trousers.

You need to book early for a table.

Reviewed 4 December 2015

We walked into Sotto Sotto after seeing on TripAdvisor it was #1 in Bath at 5pm without reservation and amazingly got a table (we had to finish eating by 6:30, our own fault for not booking!) the food was definitely tasty, good value, and the restaurant itself very beautiful. For me personally the service though very good, was a little too encroaching. We shared a bottle of wine and in those instances I like to pour/top up my own drinks and not feel as though the waitor is watching me waiting to assist. The staff are extraordinarily attentive, may seem like an odd complaint but it just wasn't for me, didn't feel as though I could relax.
It was most certainly worth a visit though and the authentic taste was delicious!

Reviewed 4 December 2015

Well, this was our second visit to Sotto Sotto (Below Below) after having been so impressed with our previous visit in September of this year - see our tripadvisor review. This time we took two friends with us and we really wish we hadn't. Why?

Firstly, we have to say that the food was absolutely beautifully prepared and was delicious, apart from the dessert which I thought was a bit "manufactured" It was tiramisu which I expected to be exceptional, with it being a classic Italian dessert. However, the rest of the meal was impeccable.

So what was the problem?

Basically, it was the staff. When we walked in, we got the usual Italian greeting, but this time it was very loud and dramatically "over-cooked".

We were shown to our table and were assigned a waiter who we only saw the once when he told us about the specials and gave us the menus. This time, there was a vast amount of conversational "guest-noise" which we didn't experience the first time around. As this is such an old stone-clad walled building, it might be an idea to install some acoustic wadding to deaden the sound - which was quite deafening. Genuinely, it was difficult to hold a conversation.

The food was delivered and the main courses were assigned to the wrong people. There was no table cleansing between courses as there was last time. We had wine with the meal and had to pour it ourselves, other than the initial sampling. That's not really a problem, but we were naturally comparing everything to our previous visit where the wine was poured at precisely the right moment by our waiter. Again, last time our waiter was really attentive and very unobtrusive. Not this time though!

Now comes the really worst bit. As soon as we had we finished our meal and the dessert dishes cleared away, followed by the usual complimentary glass of lemon-cello, the bill was unceremoniously "dumped" on the table and a waitress stood there waving a credit card machine. This really annoyed us, as we felt (rightly so), that the staff were trying to get rid of us. So, we told the waitress that we were not ready to pay just yet and still she came back three times, all within minutes of each other.

I understand the restaurant was busy, but I do not like being pushed to leave, hence we decided to sit and chat for a while - despite the noise.

We finally paid and left. There was no real "exit care" exhibited by the staff. They just wanted us (and others) out, so that the next sitting could begin.

This restaurant is not cheap (nor should it be) and thebill for four of us came to just under £200. I don't expect to be "pushed out" as we were, in ANY restaurant and especially at this level of price.

The first time went there, one of the owners was there (Carlo) and one can only surmise that as he didn't appear to be there this time, the staff were not "on their metal". Perhaps the restaurant took more bookings than it should have done. Who knows??

So, to re-cap - we went there for a second time as our first experience was so, so good. This set a level of expectation for our second visit which was so bad by comparison. Had this second visit been our first, I would not have gone back for a second time.

It's a great pity, as the food is absolutely superb - the building itself is really nice and very different but - the staff and the level of service they provided this time was nowhere as near as it needs to be: price and our previous experience. We dine out quite often with different friends and this was to have been our preferred place to bring good friends who appreciate good food and good service.

So - conclusion - will we go there again? I very much doubt it, based purely on the poor service we received. Sorry, but that's how we feel based on our experience and what I have stated in this review is exactly how it happened.

1  Thank Michael D