“Should be 6 star!”

The Roseate Villa Bath
Ranked #12 of 159 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 January 2013

My wife and I had the immense pleasure of staying at the Villa Magdala last weekend. Kim and her team are outstanding. From the very warm welcome on arrival accompanied by tea and cake to the moment we left, nothing was too much trouble. Our room (22) was superb in all respects. There is nothing that they can do to improve this gem. They should be 6 star! They are head and shoulders above any comparable place that we have stayed. Despite the fact that this recommendation will potentially hinder future visits for us the truth must out. Too often these days accommodation can be lack lustre, not the Villa Magdala. The owners can take pride in a great place, well run and beautifully presented. Thanks to all concerned for a wonderful weekend in Bath.

Room Tip: If all the rooms are of equal standard to 22 then any one will do.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
TheVM, Manager at The Roseate Villa Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Bath, myself and the staff appreciate your comments, it makes the world of difference, they will be thrilled when I show them your review. You must come and stay when the weather is a bit warmer next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,761)

Reviewed 26 January 2013

I came to Bath to unwind and relax after a few exhausting months. I selected Villa Magdala based on the rave reviews on Trip Advisor and its location. I was not disappointed. The welcome is warm and friendly. They are truly accommodating and make it clear from the start of your stay that if you have any queries or concerns then you are to let them know. I was upgraded to Room 18 which was gorgeous. The colour scheme was vey relaxing and it was tastefully decorated. I was also left a small box of chocolates which I must say I enjoyed, even more so as I didn't have to share them ;o). (If you are a huge fan of Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer the landing has some wonderful Regency portraits!) The bathroom was immaculate and the power shower easy to operate. The towels were lovely and fluffy and there was an option to be provided with a bathrobe and slippers at an extra charge of £5.00. I was staying for two nights and had every intention of relaxing during my stay so I opted for the bathrobe and slippers and am very glad I did. I slept well and when I went down to breakfast was offered an incredible selection from Porridge with scented Honey to Kippers or a Full English. I opted for Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon and it was delicious. I was also offered a glass of Bucks Fizz but declined due to January Detox and opted for a pot of tea instead. All in all I loved it at Villa Magdala and have every intention of returning again.

Room Tip: I honestly think that you could be happy in any room here and am confident that if there was an issu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your detox couple of days away without the children, and I do hope you book to come and stay for your Birthday next year with your family and friends.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel at short notice, through the ‘Visit Bath’ website as our flight and trip to Rome were cancelled due to snow. We are now glad our trip to Rome was cancelled! Upon arrival at the Vila Magdala we knew that we had landed on our feet. Met by the lovely Katerina in reception, we were given a friendly, warm welcome and served tea and cake - much appreciated after a snowy drive.

Our room was large, very comfortable and we could not fault it. On the first night our radiator valve started to malfunction and we could not turn the heating down. Rather than report it that night (it was late when we got back in) and have to change rooms, we opened the windows and then reported it the next morning and it was fixed immediately.

Breakfast was a joy, with a really tasty and varied menu on offer - complete with complimentary Bucks Fizz - a nice touch. You could easily last from breakfast till dinner without having to eat in-between, even if you were walking around all day, as we were. Also we were served hands on by John - the joint owner of the hotel, giving a personal touch, often lacking in many hotels. That said; all of the staff were attentive, friendly and helpful throughout. I personally do not normally remember the names of people well on first encounter, but the fact that I still recall quite clearly the names of most of the staff (The owners – John and Amanda and the ladies that waited on us in the morning (Kim, Agnes and Chrissie) tells you something about the friendliness of this hotel.

To walk into the centre of Bath takes less than a 5 minute leisurely stroll. But although the hotel is in a very central location, it is also quiet and we were never disturbed by noise at all during our 3 night stay.

The Hotel has a lovely ambiance and was decorated and furnished to a very high standard throughout (I even saw a painter routinely touching up the white bits whilst we were there to ensure it stays immaculate) .

The staff were the best we have encountered in UK - service with a smile indeed. If you needed a recommendation for a restaurant they were happy to oblige and also willing to contact the restaurants and make reservations on your behalf if you so wished. The best restaurant we went to 'Soto Soto' was recommended by the hotel staff and we are very grateful for their recommendation.

We would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Villa Magdala to anyone looking to stay in Bath. However I would say it would not be the best place for Hens or Stag groups to stay - it is in a quiet location and that is a big part of the attraction. For families, couples, and solo travellers, it is ideal. Oh - by the way - if you are a dog lover make sure you get to meet the hotel dog 'Billy. He is just like the hotel - adorable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
TheVM, Owner at The Roseate Villa Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Wow! What can I say to this review except a huge thank you for taking the time to write at such length. All the staff are so delighted that you remembered their names too. We are all pleased that your flight was cancelled too! Please do come back when the weather is better and see Bath at its best!

Reviewed 25 January 2013

This is a friendly and smart hotel which is warm and comfortable. The selection of food at breakfast was excellent, and everything was well cooked and promptly served. Not many hotels include Bucks Fizz for breakfast! The location is very convenient and there is easy parking. I am reluctant to post this review in case I can't get a booking next time.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for this! Don't worry - we always try to find rooms for such lovely guests! If we can't help at weekends then mid-week is a great time to visit Bath when everything is just a little bit quieter. Do come back soon!

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Villa Magdala is a beautiful hotel (boutique B@B) located very near to the centre of Bath. The city and all the points of interest are in easy walking distance. Just opposite of Villa Magdala is the Henrietta Park.
Although very near in the centre of Bath Villa Magdala is in a very quiet location.
The rooms are very clean and spacious . The refurbishment of the house is doen with an eye for every detail.
Very friendly and helpfull staff and owners.
Excelent breakfast (cooked to order ) even with champagne!

Room Tip: most rooms have double beds : only the best rooms have twin beds
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. It is always so helpful for other guests to re-assured that we are very close to the centre of the city - yet in a quiet spot opposite Henrietta Park. Glad you enjoyed the Buck's Fizz too!