All reviewscity centreup hillenglish breakfastweekend breakconservatory
Reviewed 27 May 2018

A friend and I stayed here for three nights over the May bank holiday. Our family room was downstairs under the kitchen, so we were woken early every morning by the staff cluttering around above us! The room was clean and beds very comfortable though. The bathroom rail was broken, so there was no place to hang towels and the seal on the shower screen was hanging off. The hotel does seem to be in need a bit of sprucing up. We decided against breakfast as thought it expensive at £10 per person. There are plenty of cafes in the town which is only a 20 min walk down hill or 10min on the bus. The staff were very friendly and helpful and it was great to park the car onsite and leave it there for the duration of our stay. There is a bar which is reasonably priced during Happy Hour as it was two for one on all drinks. (7pm-9pm)

Room Tip: Don’t have a room under the kitchen If you don’t want to be woken early.
Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

Whilst the hotel was a little quirky in terms of decor, it was ideal for us to visit Bath. It’s only a 15 minute down hill (most of the way) up hill on way back! There’s a regular bus for those less energetic. The host, Danny was very pleasant and always on hand. Good breakfast with plenty of variety. Would certainly recommend as a base for discovering the area and Bath is amazing for a weekend away!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2018

Its more of a guesthouse than hotel, and definitely not worthy of four stars. I was charged £10 for breakfast but I am vegan and there were no provisions there at all for people with specific dietary requirements let alone someone who is a vegan. I had to go out and buy my own soya milk so I could have a cup of tea. I also had to move rooms because the shower didn't work in the first room they put me in, and the window in the conservatory was missing, covered up by plastic sheeting!. I was given a discount for the extra night I decided to stay but this was given when I arrived and not when I had discovered the shower was broken or that I couldn't have a cup of tea. The asking price for the extra night was £115, but I was charged £95, I definitely would not have paid £115, and feel that £95 was still too much, that's without the extra £30 I was charged for the three nights, for my' 'tea-less' breakfast. I would have thought that perhaps the price of the breakfast might have been refunded, but no offer was made...I did get an apology though. Its a shame because aside from that I had a lovely stay..I felt the place needed dragging into the 21st century. And by the way,a covered pool surrounded by concrete does not constitute a beach!. on a positive final note though, the staff were extremely friendly, (the owner could have been more so) but the chef tried really hard to accommodate me, so I thank him for that. I doubt I would stay there again simply because of the food situation.

Room Tip: I ended up in room no 15, miles better than no 14!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank MichelleJ2012
Reviewed 15 April 2018

when we arrived parking was easy, greeted at the door, we were given a beautiful room with a four poster bed, clean tidy room, added bonus given a room with a conservatory which was lovely.The staff were friendly and provided a great service. Location was good, simple bus ride back from the city centre for £1 !! saves walking up the hill.Breakfast was good, large choice of foods and drinks.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over Easter and although there was some positives I didn’t feel we had the 4* experience we expected.

We got off to a bad start when we arrived to find no obvious parking available. We temporarily had to park in the street but upon check in we were told we could park by the swimming pool. Upon being shown to the apparent 4 poster room we had paid quite a bit of money for, we were greeted by a small room and a 4 poster bed that looked like an average DIY job and not the luxury we were expecting. The TV also couldn’t get a signal due to the rain outside, although it was not always great when the weather outside was ok. The bathroom was ok although the shower was very temperamental and changed temperature often between burning hot and freezing cold. The radiator didn’t work the bathroom so it was very cold (although worked well to keep drinks chilled...) we was offered a portable heater but this didn’t really solve the problem.

When it came to sleeping the bed squeaked at every slight movement which meant we couldn’t sleep well over the weekend. Thin walls also mean you can hear the next room when they wake up at 6.30am.

The positives I would say from our experience was the friendly staff at the hotel and the location is ok for the town centre although a steep hill on the way back. The room was also clean.

If we had paid 2* prices this may have been acceptable but given it is sold as 4* on the website we booked through and we paid 4* prices the stay was very disappointing

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple