5,178 results
All reviews imperial suite ice room vellore restaurant outdoor pool lovely hotel bath spa parking charge on arrival cooked breakfast molton brown toiletries special occasion birthday treat afternoon tea relaxing stay car park city centre four poster bed
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

I last visited this hotel about 7 years ago when I was blown away by the place. The building is still stunning and well maintained.
Reception staff polite and very helpful.
It turned out the general manager from all those years ago was back and working his magic.
We were spoilt. All the staff had a smile and went out of their way to provide us with a very comfortable stay. The food was as divine as I remember it being all those years ago and the rooms very clean.
Their cocktail skills are fantastic. If there is one thing I could request it would be a more extensive gin selection.
Returning for sure.
Keep up the good work CJ. Your restaurant is fantastic!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Journey766657, Guest Services Manager at MacDonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

Dear Karrie S
We do appreciate you taking the time to post your review and we do thank you for visiting us again after 7 years! We do thank you for the comments made about our staff particularly CJ and Ajit. We are very excited for what the future holds for us here at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel. We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 16 September 2018

Hotel has good facilities, let down by poor management and service, air conditioning in room and safe were both faulty on arrival, no maintenance staff work at the time people normally arrive, so all faults need to be left overnight, not much use as we only stayed one night, then when we checked out they wanted to charge us £15 because we parked our car in hotel car park, I have NEVER been charged to park at a hotel before!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard B
Journey766657, Guest Services Manager at MacDonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2018

Dear Richard B
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review here on TripAdvisor regarding your most recent stay. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused to you - cooling system and safe. I do hope that our Reception team were able to assist you accordingly in being able to provide you with an alternate solution? We do understand your frustration regarding our parking charge and will take this on board. We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on another occasion.

Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights (Thursday to Sunday). Check in was seamless and Gemma on Reception was friendly and efficient. Lawrence the Concierge who showed me to my room was also friendly and helpful.
I stayed in the Imperial Suites building. My room was large, airy and light but slightly tired looking. There was a large brown stain on the ceiling, the curtains were in need of repair and were patched up with safety pins, floor tiles in the large bathroom were cracked in places and the bathroom had a slight smell of vomit!!! But despite all of this, I liked the room.
I had dinner in the restaurant on my first night, there was just one other table occupied when I was seated. I was on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal so was given the set menu. The food was very good but the service was painfully slow, this was ok to a point as I was in no hurry but there does come a point when it was just so slow and the restaurant wasn't busy.
The next morning I went back to the restaurant for breakfast. It was busy as I expected it to be but I was son seated. I just sat and watched what I can only describe as chaos. Staff bobbing around all over the place. I ordered coffee and porridge. Now the menu told me that the porridge was served with honey, nuts and fruit compote but what actually arrived was a bowl of porridge with a mini pot of honey and some chopped hazelnut nibs, I managed to grab a member of staff and asked where the fruit compote was, they went off to check with the chef. Ten minutes later they came back and said there wasn't any (I had eaten the porridge by then!)
The spa facilities are very good, changing rooms also good. I enjoyed some spa treatments and this was an excellent experience.
On my last night I decided to order room service rather than go to the restaurant for dinner. I ordered the Bath Spa House Salad which came (according to the menu) with prawns, avocado and hummus. I also ordered some hand-cut chips and some Eton Mess for pudding (the menu description for this was: strawberries, fresh cream, vanilla ice-cream and meringue - it was also £12.50 but hey, it was a treat). What I actually got was a salad with prawns and avocado with a handful of chickpeas thrown on it, some burnt to the point of being black but raw in the middle lumps of potato and the Eton Mess was a blob of over-whipped cream with frozen mixed berries and some broken pieces of shop bought meringue.
So this is why it does not quite hit the mark as a 5 star hotel and this is a shame as it has the potential to be excellent.

Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear emmajackson3356
We do appreciate the time that you have taken to share your experience with us all following your most recent stay with us. We are most pleased that Gemma and Lawrence were able to be of service to you and your mentions will be acknowledged. Clearly from your review, there are areas required for improvement - in terms of quality of product and service, and I would like to assure you that your feedback will be passed onto the relevant Heads of Departments for immediate review. We do thank you for bringing these issues to our attention and we do look forward to welcoming you back on another occasion.

Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

Let me start off with the positive things. Beautiful hotel and grounds, wonderful spa facilities. And a lovely suite however....

I am very disappointed to have to email you since we have not got any further with our complaints. We stayed at your Bath Spa Hotel for 2 nights as a treat for my birthday from the 22/08 to the 24/07. Upon arriving at the hotel we checked in. £75 was taken from our card which we assumed would be deducted from our final bill on check out this was never explained! We were just pointed towards the imperial suite building and not shown to our room like the couple before us, or not asked if we needed help with our cases. We got to the building where there was a sign to say the lift was out of order. Our room was on the 3rd floor in the Beau Nash room 615. I have mobility issues and struggle with stairs as it is let alone having to carry luggage on top of this. We went upstairs and got lost as the signs weren’t very clear. We bumped into a member of staff who finally helped us after already going up one flight of stairs we had to go up two flights of stairs then back down again. I reported the broken lift to reception and said on the card that I have mobility issues they said thank you for letting us know but nothing was done to fix the lift neither an offer of an alternative room. The stairs caused me a lot of pain and fatigue which meant we couldn’t do all the things we wanted to during our trip. I would not recommend your hotel to disabled guests as it appears you don’t care about their needs. We noted that there was an alternative door we could use which accessed right to our room however you could not enter using your key card from the outside!! It was covered in cobwebs and dirt. I think it is bad that you also charge £15 for parking? When it is already expensive to stay there.

Furthermore, upon check out we were not given the deposit back of the £75 on our card. We didn’t realise at the time that we should have got this as no one explained. Since the 24th of August my partner has been in contact with you regarding this. This was then promised that the £75 would go onto our card within a few days. A week had passed another call later to say that it should go on soon. Since then 1p has been put back on the card and then taken off again?! It has put us off staying with you again!!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank chesxo

Dear chesxo
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. We do apologize for any inconvenience caused and for the service that you received throughout your stay. Should you wish to discuss your review further, please contact: dutymanager.bathspa@macdonald-hotels.co.uk. Your feedback will be forwarded to our Reception Manager so that she is able provide additional training and coaching to her team. Thank you for raising these concerns.

Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

Great hotel, great room, great spa. All spoilt my a 15 min wait to check in and a 15 min wait to check out and appalling reception service and attitude. Everyone in the queue annoyed before they even start their stay.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Lindsay B
Journey766657, Guest Services Manager at MacDonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Dear Lindsay B
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your most recent stay with us here at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel. We do apologise for the inconvenience caused in relation to checking in and checking out. We will inform our Reception Manager of your comments and to look at extra staffing during busy periods. We do hope that this does not deter you from returning.
You’d sincerely