“Patchy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 192 Bath B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Patchy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We arrived at 3pm only to be told by the male owner that he was very sick and we couldn't come in. We stood there dumbfounded and then realized he meant that we couldn't come in until 4pm checkin time. We were a little anxious about going back because we really didn't want to risk getting sick along with the fact we hadn't been made to feel welcome. The location also was much further out of town than ideal. But when we went back we were greeted by the female owner and she could not have been more welcoming or friendly. The rooms are very nice and the breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed December 2011
5 Thank ChickybabeSydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I must say i couldnt have asked for a better place to stay in! everything was perfect! Ian was very nice and helpful from the start giving me directions to his fabulous hotel. The views from my room were amazing and breakfast was 5star!

the room itself was very cosy and had everything i needed plus more.
i was on a business trip but have already booked with the High Beeches to go again in the summer with my Girlfriend for a leisure trip! Ian is very accommodating and is a prime example of how a perfect host should be. Many Thanks

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is a long review that you might not have the time or appetite to read. The most important bit I have to say is that the room was very clean and well presented, with great tv and sitting area. It was very swish with a walk in double shower (no bath) which made me wish I had brought a friend! Like George Clooney.... I tried both and they were super powerful. I am not sure, but I don't think the shower gel was what it said it was on the bottle. I was pleased to have taken my own Moulton B products with me. The bed linen was high quality and lightly fragranced. Tea and coffee, dressing gown and slippers were provided. A hair-dryer (of rather feeble wattage) was also available. It did get very chilly at night, I think the heating was on a timer, but an electric heater was available in the room. I booked a double room as a solo traveller, because I am utterly spoilt at home as my husband and I each have a double bed. I didn't think to check but the room was actually a twin with 2 singles so it felt a bit like going back to boarding school. The duvet - which was very nicely feathered (like the pillow) was slightly narrower than the bed, a bit like an eiderdown. So I did wake up a bit cold around the edges. This really was my fault as I should have checked on booking that the double room meant double bed. I can quite see why it is easier to put a solo traveller who is staying just the one night in single bed linen. Most B&Bs in Bath will only provide for a minumum stay of 2 nights. Ali, the lady of the house was pleasant and friendly which makes it difficult for me to confess here that I thought the price was a little too high and also that there were few minor things which could have improved the experience, eg some complementary toiletries, some bedtime drinks along with the tea, better quality tea such as Twinings EB...who drinks PG tips for pleasure? One packet of biscuits seemed a bit parsimonious too. I personally wouldn't have eaten another pack, consumed the horlicks or used the toiletries but it would have been heart-warming to see them! I am lying. I would have had the horlicks. It is the only time I have that stuff. I would have had at least two of them. I never buy it for home because I would glug it down like a dehydrated puppy and it would make me even fatter. I have to stay away in these places just to get my fix! I also would have liked a hand towel and an extra small towel for my hair. Most places in this price bracket do provide more than just one bath towel. Flannels were also provided, but I would never ever use these for reasons too indelicate to mention. The cooked breakfast, beautifully prepared and piping hot, included bacon of very good quality and perfectly cooked egg along with the other bits and bobs and just one slice of toast. Following my request for some extra toast, I was served the end crust of a pre-sliced factory loaf. I have always considered that the crusts' purpose in life is to enable coalminers to keep the edible bit of their sandwich soot free, and those end bits are just to keep the rest of the loaf fresh. They are supposed to end their existence on the bird table. Other reviews have mentioned the no shoe rule. I think this is excellent. The bedroom carpet was spotlessly clean as was the rest of the room. Not a speck of dirt to be seen which satisfied my OCD requirements. The way in to the B&B is via a track which leads to an alley which runs to the rear of several houses along this road. It is VERY difficult to find and quite tricky - but not impossible to park. You MUST pay attention to the instructions for the directions, particularly the number of the house behind which you park. I was travelling in the dark and even with my satnav and well honed navigational skills it was tricky. The location was very good for my personal purposes, I think you would need a car to get into bath as it is a bit out of the way.It is only a short drive in. Not sure about the bus service as I was on university parent duty and not there for the tourism. If this is your mission too, you will be interested to note that a huge new sainsbury's is handily just round the corner with all the necessary bits and pieces to settle your precious offspring in for their first term, before you return to weep in the empty nest.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Queenpeafrog
Bexley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Had a lovely stay lovely b and b everything we needed and short distance to bath, really nice pub 5 minute walk down the road food was yummy! Very homely and beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was lovely Very good cook! My nan mum and I would love to stay there again!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My teenage daughters and I enjoyed a wonderful two night stay at High Beeches. Ali was really helpful and we loved the finishing touches in the rooms. The beds were really comfortable and it felt like home from home. The Packhorse Inn was a real find and a definite must!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family