1,193 results
All reviews charles dickens hayward restaurant creaky floorboards car park historic hotel coaching inn travelzoo voucher wyle cop lovely old hotel old building glass of prosecco steeped in history on site parking centre of town lots of character course meal high street
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is an amazing hotel if you like living history. It was built 400 years ago and Charles Darwin even stayed the night here. The interior of the building is amazing with beautiful wooden fittings and a real sense of being back in time. You can wander through the old corridors and into places like the a ballroom for that Jack Nicholson in 'The Shining' feel. They serve pretty good meals in the evening and breakfast was not too bad. The main fry up was a bit small but there was plenty of fruit, cereal and a Continental option. As far as the room goes it was pretty decent for the budget end. As far as locality goes you can't get better; it is right in town and does have parking available but be warned, it isn't free. There is a meter charge. As far as staying here goes if you like your hotels oldie Worldly with bags of character then this is the place for you. If, however, you want all the mod cons then you may not be as happy. I can imagine the rooms being quite stuffy in the height of Winter and I didn't find any evidence of air conditioning.

Stayed: September 2018
gmthelion, General Manager at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for taking time out to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate your positive and very elaborate description of the hotel. About Air condition, We do have heating system however, most of the heaters are concealed and looks like part of decor.

Once again, thank you for your visit and feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Priced at 89 pounds my wife enjoyed a lovely stay at this traditional coaching inn. The room was comfortable and clean. Choice for dinner was limited to four options, but the food was excellent and the service good. Breakfast was equally satisfying. Staff were friendly and helpful. Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
gmthelion, General Manager at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel The Lion Shrewsbury.

We really appreciate your positive feedback as it boosts our motivation to excel in meeting our guest’s expectations. Your feedback is shared with my entire team.

I look forward to welcome you back in future at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My sister booked the four of us in for Afternoon Tea. We turned up promptly to be shown in to an empty room full of various sofas and armchairs which looked slightly out of place for quite a nostalgic and prominent hotel. We were then told our table was dirty so to wait whilst they cleaned it before we could sit down. We were then offered tea/coffee which came quickly and was served in china cups and saucers. The food itself was quite a let down. £18 for 2 got you a few finger sandwiches consisting of quite a lot of butter in most of them rather than the fillings. A sub standard sized warm scone each and a couple of mini cakes. I must admit I was expecting more from this establishment and have paid less and had more elsewhere. We came away quite underwhelmed. The room, seating and furniture could have been so much classier and the food a hell of a lot better.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I am extremely concerned to read your comments on Tripadvisor with regards to your experience of afternoon tea at the hotel. It is always our highest priority to us to ensure that our guests and customers leave the hotel happy and satisfied at all times. However, this time please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. I have a passed your comments to my F&B team and Executive chef in order to improve our offerings. I have identified this as a training need and correct measures are in place.

Once again, I really appreciate your comments.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

On a recent visit we were warmly welcomed to this very old hotel. The food was good when we ate at breakfast. We did not eat in the hotel for dinner. The only disadvantage was that as the hotel has been extended over the years there are numerous small steps on the same floor. They only amount to about six to eight in each flight but are not good for visitors who have to use crutches or sticks to aid their walking. The staff were very helpful if you needed help. We have NO complaints about the staff or the food, only the small steps on the same floor levels

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Tony,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel The Lion Shrewsbury.

We really appreciate your positive feedback as it boosts our motivation to excel in meeting our guest’s expectations. Your feedback is shared with entire tea,

I look forward to welcome you back in future at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The staff were friendly, helpful and willing to please, especially the reception staff, who gave us an upgrade due to sleeping the first night in the most uncomfortable, hard bed we have ever had the displeasure of sleeping in. The new 'superior' room, although with a comfy, canopied bed, had a smaller bathroom with a tiny, sloping glass shelf above the toilet, so we had nowhere to put our toothbrushes in case they slid into the loo. The furniture was dull brown and basic. As for the restaurant, the extremely bright lights from the chandelier and strong wall lights spoilt any atmosphere this restaurant should have - not a sign of a candle on tables, apart from three large ones on a table under the chandelier, goodness knows what the point of that was. All it needs is softer lighting and candles on tables. The three course meal was acceptable though my husband's chicken was bland - go for the sea bass. As for breakfast, once again brightly lit by said chandelier and wall lights, it is a good job we are on a slimming diet at present because the 'all English' was a child size portion. The 'continental buffet' part had no fresh fruit or yogurt and the juices did not have any tomato juice. The garage has small, limited spaces and will not fit anything longer than a standard hatchback. I have given 2 stars - one for the staff and one for the brilliant location right in the centre of this lovely town.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room, the ones at the front of the hotel get all the traffic noise on one of the roads out of Shrewsbury.
Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Jean,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury.

We very much appreciate constructive criticism as it enables us to ensure we are meeting our guest’s expectations. I appreciate your comments on restaurant decor and breakfast portion size are well noted. I have passed your comments to my entire team in particular to our head chef regarding our breakfast offerings. Please accept my sincere apologies at this occasion.

I look forward to welcome you back in future at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury