“A touch of class” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
Liverpool
“A touch of class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Spent a weekend here (using KGB deals voucher). Very impressive- nice location- lovely bedroom (no 5), comfortable bed,good facilities.
The dinner menu is quite pricey and we decided to eat in town but I'm sure it's probably worth it.
Breakfast was great with a good range of cooked options.
Staff were very helpful throughout the weekend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

this was four time at the staying in the fishmore , we had a three day brack over new year its was one of the best new bracks we have have . The staff and the food was execllent as ever .and if you into walking there are some good walk from the hotel and also get a walking leaflet from reception for the local area .i would recommend having a three day new year brack

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank derrick g
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

I chose this hotel based on the Trip Adviser Reports and, having stayed in several other hotels in the Ludlow area, was looking for a hotel that would not disappoint as most of the others have done todate.

First impressions are great. The reception at check-in was first class. The room accommodation (Room 5) is impressive. Bar area, restaurant and guest lounge very pleasant and certainly achieve the hotel's 3 star rating.

So why the "Style over Substance review"?

Whilst it is appreciated that a booking in January will mean that a there is likely to be a limited number of guests staying overnight, it should not result in a reduced service from the staff on duty.

I went down for dinner at 7.30pm and was met by a friendly waitress who took my order for a bar meal. I then had to wait for 35 minutes for my smoked salmon starter to arrive.

The meal, which was not smoked salmon, was just about warm and inedible.

When I complained to the duty manager (Martin) he checked with the chef and reported back to me that there was no smoke salmon available that evening and the chef had decided to produce "something else" without checking with me first.

The chef (through Martin) offered me some bread rolls as compensation along with a suggestion that I may wish to order something from the restaurant menu as a sweet course.

My main course, ordered as Sole with vegetables, including peas, was presented as sole goujons with a stack of thick cut chips and a green wipe of pea sauce on a small plate . Whilst it was hardly what one would call a Main Course, what there was of it tasted delicious - It was, however, overpriced at £14.95.

As I was still hungry,I took up the Chef's offer to chose a sweet from the restaurant menu. I chose a rhubarb dish which arrived in good time and was very pleasant but again very small and of little substance.

Overall the evening experience was poor and very disappointing.

Before retiring to bed I advised Martin that I would be down for breakfast at 8am and wished to discuss my disappointments with the owner Laura Penman. Martin agreed to pass on my message.

At 8am I went into the breakfast area and found that I was alone apart from one other guest. There were no staff present and, having looked around the rooms adjacent to the restaurant for a few minutes, had to resort to dialing"0" on the telephone by reception to get some attention.

When a member of staff arrived I had to ask him what was being offered for breakfast as there were no menus available on the tables.

Despite the feeling of being on the Mary Celeste, the breakfast, when it arrived, was delicious.

I asked the waiter if the owner Laura Penman had arrived yet and be told me that she had not and was not expected until later that morning

At about 9am I went back to my room, packed my belongings and checked out.

It is indeed a pity that guests comments are apparently of little importance or interest to the Hotel Management.

I looked for the Hotel Comments Card, which was supposed to be available in the room, but was unable to find a copy.

Admittedly I could have asked for a copy at reception, but with the apparent lack of interest from the hotel's owner or management I didn't think it was worth the bother.

Shame really as it really would not take a great deal more for the the substance of the hotel to match the style.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms will not disappoint
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank r_smith640
Carnforth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

This was our second time staying in Fishmore Hall. It's so rare to find a good hotel which accepts dogs ... but Fishmore couldn't be more accommodating. The food was as excellent as ever, the staff attentive and the surroundings beautiful. For a relaxing getaway in the countryside then look no further.

• Stayed December 2011
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

We came here in November for a 1 night treat for my birthday. We have had sunday lunch here before which was good. However we were disappointed by our stay. The room was ok but pretty soulless and when we got to dinner (for which we had booked a table in advance) we were told we were too late for the tasting menu (which we hadnt been told when we reserved the table). The food was ok but not special. The service was ok but not special.
All in all an expensive stay and I didnt feel we got value for our money. I havent stayed elsewhere in Ludlow so cant comment if it is the best hotel in Ludlow but there are certainly better hotels around for the money. We found it expensive for a pretty bland experience.

The icing on the cake was that a week later I received a letter from the hotel with a receipt because they had forgotten to bill me for a bottle of wine and they had charged it to my credit card! So I certainly won't be going back or recommending it!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsDVT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
1.6 km away
36.0 km away
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#2 of 15 in Shrewsbury

Been to Fishmore Hall? Share your experiences!