All reviews the river ludlow castle small hotel caravan park ten minute walk no lift restaurant with rooms excellent food leave the car short break lovely hotel ample parking stayed for one night quiet location an overnight stay venison town centre
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

It was a very nice hotel. A few niggly things have stopped me giving full marks - it was very cold in the mornings in the room and at breakfast (heating went off around 8am I think), it was 1 degree outside and my husband had to go and ask them if they could turn it back on for us. The maid also threw something away that I was still using. One of the staff at breakfast was a bit abrupt... However, it was a nice room, big bed, breakfast was pretty good, nice decor, etc. but just a few things stopped it from being a really great stay. We weren't there all that much as the weather was good (sunny but cold!) so we were out and about. It's a good location with regard to things to do in the surrounding area, and ability to walk into Ludlow.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

A nice hotel with scenic views of the nearby Ludlow Castle. Staff are friendly and the rooms are good. We didn't eat there in the evenings but the hotel appears to have won lots of AA awards for their cuisine. Staff are friendly and helpful and car parking is plentiful.

Room Tip: First floor rooms by the stairs can be a little noisy with people passing by in the morning.
  • Stayed: November 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony K
Reviewed 3 November 2018

My wife and I stayed for one night at The Cliffe at Dinham on the way up from West Cornwall to family in the North-West.
The Hotel/guest house/restaurant is situated in an exceptional location just across the river from the town centre of Ludlow. The short stroll across the bridge into Ludlow is an absolute delight!
We were allocated room 1, which is cavernous, with a bathroom to match, and with uninterrupted views towards the castle.
As the restaurant is a major feature of this property, and given some of the other reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to eat in on the evening of our stay. I would have to say, given those reviews, that I was slightly underwhelmed – maybe I just chose the wrong dish.
Breakfast, again awarded very favourable comments on Tripadvisor, I found to be quite disappointing. It’s as if there had been a sudden realisation that there was a cash shortage, and that cuts must be made somewhere. I have never been served half a slice of black pudding before at breakfast!
The location, the room, and the staff could not be faulted – just the slight disappointments with the food, breakfast in particular.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2018

This is really a restaurant with rooms. The food is excellent. Good choice at breakfast. Then wonderful menu in the evening with some interesting combinations including several vegetarian options. We had scallops, pigeon, venison - all of which were lovely. (We could have had lunch as well, or instead!) I am not sure why this place does not have a Michelin star yet. The location is good - just 10 minutes walk from the centre of Ludlow, but well away from any noise from traffic or the busy town centre. It also has parking which can be a problem in Ludlow.The rooms are nice - we had one with a view of the castle (albeit over the tops of the caravan park next door but we knew that when we booked.) The staff are efficient, friendly and very pleasant.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor, at the front.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2018

A group of six "mature" gents stayed here for four days while walking in the area. We were all, without exception, delighted with our reception, the service, which is friendly and informal but efficient, the accommodation and the facilities. Everywhere is clean, well maintained and beautifully decorated.
However, the jewel in the crown is undoubtedly the food, which is superb. We had not anticipated such excellent cuisine, although the Michelin trained chef should have alerted us. Over the period, we sampled every dish (except the vegetarian options!) on the menu and all were delicious, perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. To deliver such a delectable culinary experience for £30 a head deserves praise indeed. No surprise that some of us immediately booked a return visit with wives.
All the staff seemed happy in their work and anxious to please and both the owner and his wife were present on occasion and anxious to ensure our satisfaction. Can't wait to return !

Room Tip: Probably better views across Ludlow and the castle from the second floor
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends