1,594 results
All reviewspolice stationwaffle makercity centremarco pierre whitemarco's restaurantcar parkcomplimentary breakfastgreat hotelself servicehot and cold foodthe breakfast areawalk in showeron site parkingreception staffair concomfortable bedtwin room
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

I stayed here 4 nights with work. Comfortable room and bed. Clean with ample space. Breakfast was good except i did not like the serving dishes - burnt myself 3 mornings with the steam. Good value and well enough located.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Wandering_Hippy_Me
Richard C, General Manager at Hampton By Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2018

Dear _contact_clare,

Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to have you with us and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to welcome you again, in the meantime will work to ensure your future stay receiving a 5 star rating.

Reviewed 1 July 2018

Previously Sheffield's main Police Station, and originally opened in 1965, the building was refurbished in the 2010s and reopened as the Hampton in 2013. Five years down the line, it's starting to show its age.

Having chosen one of the larger rooms in the hotel up on the sixth floor (a quirk of the building's original use), I quickly discovered the air conditioning wasn't working in my room. This was not good given it was some 27 Celsius (80 Fahrenheit) outside and the windows are sealed...and the curtains were wide open, making it even hotter.

Initially, Reception said they were unable to move me to a different room due to the hotel being fully booked, so they offered to send up "some fans" instead...but five minutes later when I returned, dripping with sweat, the Manager (Katy) came up with a solution that saw me moved to one of the smaller rooms (again, due to its history) on the fourth floor. Crucially, however, the new room had working A/C.

Both of the rooms were spotless, as usual, due to the sterling effort of the Housekeeping team, and the bed was nice and firm, giving me a good night's sleep.

Heading downstairs for breakfast in the morning, one of the two hot drink machines was out of order, causing a bit of a bottleneck at the working one. On the plus side, the juice machine had been tweaked so that it actually dispensed at about the right dilution, instead of the more usual "homeopathic" juice they tend to dispense; and the bread offering had switched from normal sandwich loaves to bloomers, which held together better and tasted subjectively nicer...at least to me.

Parking at the nearby NCP (formerly Q-Park) was a no-brainer as it's nigh on impossible to get a space in the hotel's tiny car park (yet another legacy feature). As others have mentioned, however, the hotel no longer validates parking (and has also increased the price of their own car park from £8 to £12) so I ended up paying more than I was expecting, and also discovered that the normal "pedestrian" entrance to the car park on Solly Street is now only open overnight.

Overall, I'll probably return to the Hampton next time I'm in the area (at 10000 Hilton points for a Reward Night, compared to 20000+ for the full service Hilton, it's a steal), but I think I'll check in advance to see if the A/C's working in future!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are generally larger than those at the rear
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank SouthPaw1805

Dear SouthPaw1805,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We do take on board your feedback and frustration regarding your experience. We will use your feedback to improve our offering so that future guests are not affected in the same adverse way.

I do hope you will return to experience the improvements we make, especially in the area of maintenance you have highlighted.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 26 June 2018

TL;DR: Service needs improvement, rooms are starting to show their age maintenance wise, but still probably one of the more modern hotels Sheffield has to offer and still impeccably clean.

I first stayed here in 2014 when the place was relatively new and gave a very good review. There isn't much competition in Sheffield, so it was nice to have something modern available.

Unfortunately since 2014 nothing much has changed. The hotel is still modern and kept very clean but is starting to show its age - one room I stayed in recently had a broken shower, the other had a broken alarm clock, others had broken air conditioning - maintenance seems lax.

Breakfast isn't amazing but not as bad as some people make it out to be - and you can't really complain when it's free.

What's not acceptable however is the service. Despite having stayed here at least once a month since February I still get asked "is it your first time with us?" EVERY TIME I CHECK IN and even though I say "Yes" I still get the same spiel every time. The first couple of times I didn't mind but it's now getting old - surely at a chain as big as Hilton their systems would provide this information.

The last time I stayed was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'd reserved a room on a higher floor through the app as I know some rooms are a lot bigger than others. The room was changed due to none of the rooms on the 6th floor having working air conditioning (as another person here has said). I was moved to the 7th floor (to a smaller room) where the air conditioning also didn't work: it was 28 degrees in the room (I had a thermometer on an alarm clock I travel with) so there was no way I could stay in there.

I know it doesn't get hot in Sheffield often and these things happen - but the man working at reception made me feel like I was a nuisance and repeatedly said there was nothing he could do as the hotel was completely full. He "reset the air conditioner" which did nothing. When I told him there was no way I could stay in the room he did find a spare room to move me to with functioning air conditioning - but I was back-and-forthing for half an hour and had to move all my stuff around the hotel which wasn't ideal. Anywhere else I'd be offered a drink, even a cold bottle of water would have sufficed in this case but I didn't even get an apology!

Speaking of water - my colleague checked in the next night and was told to help herself to water from the fridge. She's not a Hilton Honors member but I am, and I have NEVER been offered this (and actually told that it doesn't apply at the Hampton, only the pricier brands). I noticed that another guest asked and was told he had to buy water - so why did my colleague get it?

Finally, the room I was moved to had a broken alarm clock. This didn't bother me too much as I could use my phone. I was told that it'd be fixed the next day: it wasn't, so I asked the lady on reception if she could swap it with one from a room on the 6th floor which nobody could stay in due to the broken air conditioning. She got confused and replied with "is your air conditioning not working?" so I said to forget it!

Clearly the front desk staff are not being consistently trained and this really needs to be resolved. There's also no avenue for feedback apart from Tripadvisor (I've even asked if they have feedback forms at the hotel and was told no) so I'm hoping someone actually reads this. This latest stay has meant that I will seek alternative hotels in Sheffield for future stays and will also recommend that my colleagues do the same.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a lot bigger than others and are the same price - the Hilton app has pics
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank hellofish

Dear hellofish,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I do hope you will return to experience the improvements we make, with a view to receiving your 5 star on your next stay.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 26 June 2018

This hotel is a good place from which to explore Sheffield, being within walking distance to the city centre. Nice, comfortable, clean rooms, good breakfast, quiet location. It is a shame you have to pay for parking but I guess it wasn't too bad.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Elena L,

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Stayed one night over the weekend as we were visiting the city. Got to the hotel early and managed to get a car park space. Check in was quick and our room was excellent - comfortable bed, large bathroom with a powerful shower and was quiet. The free breakfast in the morning was very good for the price. Location was very good and easily walkable to all the main sites.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear PSP31,

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review.

It’s lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again.