“Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings!!”
Review of Orient Express

Orient Express
Ranked #396 of 1,596 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2017

We have been dining as students for 3 years in Sheffield, and for 3 years we've had Orient Express! Usually quite busy, with a large variety to offer you, the portions are quite good (not too stingy with the meat/seafood) Particular favourites of ours would be The Salt and Pepper chicken wings (So far the best we've ever had) Big Bowl Noodle soup 3 Roastie style, Braised Beef and the Special Fried Rice in Lotus Leaf. We always come back, the staff are usually quite nice and the food is out quick too! Good for just a couple or even as a big group too!

Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

Food not the best chinese ive had and certainly not my idea of eating for a special occassion..bit like a students canteen.. if you want to fill up on a budget ideal.

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

I go here quite a lot and I have never been disappointed. The curry and won ton noodle soup are especially good.

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Whilst in Sheffield visiting friends we were taken to the Orient Express. The restaurant was very busy for a Sunday night so we had high hopes for a good meal, and it was. The staff were friendly and attentive, the menu was interesting and extensive. We ordered a selection of starters and mains. The salt and pepper squid was amazing, the duck was great and the satay chicken very flavoursome. Too many mains to mention but all were fresh, hot and delicious. We all had a really good time and a delicious meal. We'll definitely be visiting again when in Sheffield.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

The restaurant always seems to be filled with Chinese students when walking past, due to its location on the edge of the University campus, but it was the "Executive Lunch" deal that drew my partner and I in for lunch one afternoon in March. For £6.50, they offer one from a selection of main courses, as well as a soup of the day and rice (which you can upgrade to fried rice for an extra little bit). It was almost full when we arrived, though we managed to get the last table for two whilst others after us had to wait for one to free up. It calmed down by the end of lunchtime though.

The soup was nice, though they did not tell us what it was when bringing it and we had to ask. There are a wide range of options on the discount menu to choose from, and it was difficult to settle for just one, but I eventually settled for the classic beef in black bean sauce, made a little extra spicy. My partner initially went for the large mixed fried rice, but then changed her mind. The waitress then got confused when bringing the order, thinking that the kitchen had made the wrong dish despite us having changed.

The food was good, though not the most flavoursome Chinese meal I have ever eaten. For the value though, it was a good option and I would still eat here again. Especially as the portions were quite large; too large for lunch in my opinion. However, they were happy to provide takeaway boxes for us to eat the rest later at home (even though we had to package them ourselves).