“Gone downhill. Shame.”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I had reviewed this place twice before and always said it served the best sushi in Sheffield, despite the service often being very poor. Unfortunately, the service has slightly improved but the sushi has gone downhill.

First up, we were really looking forward to sushi but on seeing the new menu, we actually opted for a meal, with only a small sushi platter. The new menu does not have good sized platters anymore, only small ones so to get a good variety of sushi, you have to buy individual items, meaning a very expensive dinner. I went for the char sui noodle soup which was nice but slightly overpowered by sesame. It was only just warm and was served almost immediately. My partner had to wait much longer for her salmon on sushi rice, meaning we ate separately. Her meal was 'ok'. We ordered the small sushi platter A and it was ok but not up to the standards we were used to from previous visits.

Disappointed with the new menu then and the sushi is no longer great meaning that we won't be returning.

1  Thank scott j

Reviewed 3 January 2018

We usually love Sushi Express - it's a bit more expensive than some other sushi restaurants in Sheffield but it has a good menu of quality sushi and sashimi. However, we won't be returning after our last visit in December.
We arrived and were seated. We waited sometime for the waitress to come over to take our order and in the end I had to ask her to come over. The waitress took our order but a few minutes later she returned and said the chef had gone out and they didn't know when he was returning so we could only order hot food not sushi. We wanted sushi not hot food but by this point we had our baby settled in the highchair half way through his lunch so quickly changed our order.
Around 10minutes later, the waitress came over and said the chef had returned so we could have sushi. We asked to revert to our original order. The waitress went to check with the kitchen and said we could do this but would still have to have one of our hot dishes as it was ready. A little surprised by this as would have thought due to the inconvenience they would have wavered this but we said that was fine. The hot dish didn't arrive until 10minutes later.
The sushi took some time to arrive with the last dish arriving over 20minutes after the first came out. We were putting on our coats and asking for the bill (with a fed up baby) when the waitress said to wait as we still apparently had another dish to come. I asked to cancel it but she said we couldn't as it was ready but we could take it away. We waited another 7 minutes for this.
The bill came to £49 for two people for lunch! There was no apology and no discount applied.
I know we really should have complained / refused to pay for the last dish. However, we're just not very good at that! There were other little confusions also, e.g. I asked for water and was given a bowl of hot water. I apologised for the confusion and asked for a glass of water and was given a glass of hot water (I gave up and just drank this!)

1  Thank T-Sheff47
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed our visit here, I wasn’t keen when my boyfriend first suggested here as I’m use to sushi places with conveyor belts but they had an excellent choice on the menu and the quality was excellent
Defo coming back!!

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

It's not because of the food. Found the sushi very good. My wife had my phone, whilst I settled the bill. She left it on the counter and we left. Half hour later we discovered it wasn't there. Rang the phone, nope not in the car. Returned to restaurant and rang phone again. Wife went into restaurant to ask about it as I used her phone to access 'find my phone'. Came out without phone as they didn't know anything about a phone being handed in. Instructed my phone to play a sound as wife went back in. She located the phone immediately, behind their counter, retrieved it and walked out. Now the waitress she asked might not have known a phone had been handed in! Hard to miss my phone as my son made me a lego case for so it's a bit bling! So it's either bad communication on an epic scale amongst staff, stupidity or worse. I've made my mind up but it's up to you what you think.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

As sushi lovers and locals we were excited to try sushi express & were not disappointed! Authentic and fresh, exciting menu! I would go again just for the sashimi! It is quite expensive and is fitting for a special meal. Decor is quite boring could be made more interesting found the chairs uncomfortable but that is my only con. Will be returning