“no room service, or any kind of service really”

Jurys Inn Sheffield
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 28 May 2012

hotel is about 7 minutes walk from the railway station and looks modern and pleasant both from the outside and inside the lobby area.
however, check-in at about 6.30 pm was very slow, two people on reception and a queue of 6 people moving rather slowly
once past the lobby the decor in the corridors and rooms is unremarkable and dull. i was given a room with a double bed and a single. the room and bathroom are pretty unremarkable, bathroom was smallish and functional, i think the only plus point for the room was the halogen desk spot lamp and I really disliked the photo on the wall.
so, after showering and changing into my pj's, i checked out the room service menu and decided to order a chicken tikka, then i looked for the room service number, which wasnt on the menu, or on the phone....confused, i called the restaurant, no answer, so i tried the bar, no answer, and finally the reception, who answered....after a while. they told me that no, there is NO room service!!!! and what i needed to do was call the bar, order my food, and when it was ready the bar would call me, and i could go down and get my food on a tray and take it up to my room...sigh....i really didnt want to eat downstairs so i decided ok i would do that. Tried to call the bar again....no answer....called back to reception and they agreed to take my order and pass it on. 20 mins later i got a call, my food is ready, so I go down and collect it. First problem was everyone needs a keycard to call the lifts. So, i need to put my tray down by the lifts in order to put my keycard in, then once in the lift attempt to press the floor button wiht my little finger whilst not dropping my tray, and then again at the room put the tray on the floor to get in my room.
Breakfast doesnt start til 645 and i had to be at the train station at 7am so i didnt get breakfast the first morning (obviously no breakfast room service option). Next evening i get back and faced with the whole routine of ordering food, again i try calling the bar, no answer, reception and the restaurant, all several times each, all no answer...i seriously considered not eating as I was so tired. But in the end i went down to the bar to order food to eat downstairs. Whilst i sat waiting, someone came twice to enquire what it was I had ordered, saying there had been a mix up in the kitchen....when my chili con carne finally arrived, it really was mediocre but hey, it was food right.
Next morning i had time for breakfast, started pretty normally, checking my room number, and the breakfast was all buffet, again not too remarkable, until I got to a table and realised it was jsut like mcdonalds - there was noone offering "did i want tea or coffee?" and there was no cups or cutlery or tablecloth or anything at all on the table, just lots of empty unset tables

so, in summary its clear that this hotel is attempting to function with hardly any staff and an essentially DIY approach to everything, if you are OK with that and just want a room and food then fine, but if you are expecting any kind of actual hotel service or any 'frills' at all, look elsewhere

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Sam C, Front Office Manager at Jurys Inn Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to rate your experience of Jurys Inn Sheffield. I hope I have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel soon again.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,610)

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Needed a triple room, had 3 beds but not enough towels/mugs/coffee etc for 3 people. Breakfast was quite good, staff very friendly but didn't seem enough of them. 2nd time I have staryed there but will look elsewhere next time I need to stay in Sheffield

Room Tip: Do not stay at the front of the hotel facing the main road, it is incredibly noisy, rooms at back mu...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Magpie1963

Reviewed 22 May 2012

I arrived at eight on a Tuesday night after a delayed flight and very hungry. I went straight into the restaurant where I was told there would be a long wait as they were busy (there were 3 table occupied). My other option was to go to my room and order. They would ring when it was ready and I could go down and collect a tray. I did this, ordered the chicken and was told it would take 45 minutes. They ran after 45 minutes to tell me there was no more chicken would I like to order something else. It would take another half an hour. I had a bath and went to bed hungry. I won't be staying in Jurys again.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else, my non smoking room stank of smoke.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank HarasNorthernIreland

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Stayed here whilst I attended a concert in the city and I'm so glad I wasn't here for long. Room was tiny, staff seemed to have a little attention span and our carpet and bed base had stains on. Uncomfortable bed and poor bathroom with mould. Bought the buffet breakfast for the next morning to only find that they'd ran out of bread for toast and glasses for fresh juice.

Wouldn't advise going, unless you wish to feel like you're staying in a student home.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Stayed here for a concert, the room was nice and very clean, the bath was very large which is rare for a hotel. Price was very reasonable, room service wasnt avaliable so had to go down and collect ordered food but wasnt the end of the world. reception staff helped with directions and were very friendly. For the price a good stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple