“The most insulting experience ”
Review of Dolce Vita - CLOSED

Dolce Vita
Price range: US$39 - US$49
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

The most awful experience. Used to come here and always got warm family welcome. I made a reservation for my daughters 18 birthday lunch just me her and her dad. Made very clear at point of booking it was special occasion sadly father couldn't come but I rang restaurant to say it was just us 2. Had to move the booking time on the day by 30 minutes. When we arrived they were not aware it was just 2not 3 and this seem to annoy I think manager or owner in pale blue shirt and balding head. We were put on smallest table on the side I asked if we could have a table at the front with river view as the restaurant was empty save 2 other tables as it was special occasion and we won't take long. The unfriendly manager glared at me and said he didn't have small table at the front - clearly never mind table for 4 and all rest of the tables empty were not going to be even considered. So small uncomfortable table with view of ashtray full of cigarette butts on balcony and building works it was. At this point seeing how intentionally unpleasant the manager was I wanted to walk but my daughter insisted we eat there. Which we did and not a single person. Bothered to come and wish my daughter happy birthday or even put any flower etc on table despite then knowing it was her special day. Each time we wanted drink or food we had to try get attention not because the staff were busy as including us there were only 3 other tables but because they were busy yawning and chatting . Food was OK liver lovely mash and spinach watery. We didn't even finish drinks that's how awful the feel of the restaurant and treatment of is was. Paid £56 and left tip. One staff bothered to say thank you the horrid unpleasant manager in blue shirt stood by door as we were leaving and whilst looking at us didn't even say good bye or thank you. Considering we were polite and no trouble at all I consider this not just the worst dining experience I ever had but intentionally insulting and spiteful from the man in blue shirt not even giving us nice table knowing it was my daughters birthday. Of course all the river facing tables were empty as we left past the unpleasant man who found it too much to give us nice table some kind of birthday wish never mind thank you or good bye as we left. Awful. Will never return.

2  Thank katarinag00dwin

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Went here for a valentines meal. Main was yummy and priced okay. For me the meal portions weren’t big enough but It is still a nice place to go.

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

Came here with my boyfriend and we had a really lovely evening. Food was really nice and waiting staff very friendly and attentive. Only down side was we were sat right next to a table with 2 young children (and I mean about 30cms away) so they kept bumping into the table and running about making it difficult to enjoy a romantic evening. I appreciate the restaurant can’t help this but there were several other free tables when we arrived that we could have sat on, by the time they filled up the family next to us had almost finished so I don’t think it would have made a difference to the overall seating. Also it’s quite hard to find, we ended up going up a fire escape to the restaurant that was pretty grotty as we couldn’t find the main entrance.

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Came here on the recommendation of a local on our first visit to Reading. Pleasant modern dining room with good food and wine, the Sauvignon blanc was especially good but unfortunately my meatballs tasted "frozen ", otherwise very good with professional waiters.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Not my first visit or review for Dolce Vita but as always, we had a wonderful evening. The staff make you feel at home, they have an excellent menu and decent wine list.

We will be visiting again soon!

Highly recommended.