See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

First off this is in a beautiful location the lake is beautiful. Arrived late around 9.15 man on reception was as welcoming as an angry dog he looked depressed ! Was told room service finished at 9.30 but was advised I needed to go to the restaurant and order the food as no phones in room , when I did this a £3 room charge was added even to I carried my own drinks back , anyway the room was clean and very big but tired looking rips in curtains and the bathroom ceiling had orange / brown drops , the chain on the door was broken so I put a chair against the door as the hotel was a tad creepy, if this had more money put into in you could do weddings due to the lovely location and size !

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank bobbyjoe12345
Reviewed 15 July 2017

We arrived at this sorry state of a hotel to find half of it apparently burnt down. We checked in and found the room to be equally as depressing as the reception. Old, worn out, bathroom disgusting, generally a throw back from the 70s. The only redeeming feature was the balcony and lake view although the lake looked dirty and the balcony looked like it was about to fall down. We and one other couple appeared to be the only ones staying in this shambles of a hotel. The restaurant was depressing and empty. The breakfast although ok was unimaginative and dreary. This place should be closed down immediately.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank ruthie2m
Reviewed 14 July 2017

Unfortunately i did not read any reviews and really should have as this would have save me wasting my time and money. On the approach to the hotel you are greeted by a burnt out wing. On check in, i had to wait for someone to check me in as no one was about. This person finally arrived with the charisma of a dead rat. No engagement at all, not even a smile. The lift was out of order, which i was not told. My room was spacious, which was the only bonus. The room was in a dire state. Ripped wall paper, Door handle that was broken and not secured. Stains on the carpet. TV with only 5 channels, and cold showers. I even spoke to reception about the cold showers and was told, that they have a problem with the water and they have to flush the system twice to get hot water. but would have a look. I went out that evening and on return was met with the receptionist near my room and said you now have hot water as i have just been in your room. Guess what in the morning No Hot water, so another cold shower. The hotel advertised WI-FI and a gym, both are not available,
Their website is very miss leading as the pictures on their website must have been taken years ago, as this hotel is a dump. They should be honest to people on their website, and show it as it really is A Dump. Avoid this place,

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank cazash
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

On our recent trip to London my wife and I decided to stay at the Reading Lake Hotel as my wife had stayed there 6 years ago with her sister. The room over looking the lake was just £60 so we weren't expecting too much which was just as well.

Upon pulling into the car park we noticed that half the hotel was derelict which appeared to be due to a fire. At the reception when booking in we were asked to pay up front which is a first for me.

Our room was very tired, the chairs had holes in the fabric and the walls were dirty and in need of a paint. The bathroom had not been redecorated or replaced since the property had been built sometime in the 1980's and the whole place felt neglected.

The bed sheets though were clean and the view from our well weathered balcony was delightful. Food in the restaurant was good but the wine didn't match it.

Overall you get what you pay for and here is definitely on the grubbier side.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mwcentralfc
Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

This was clearly once a nice hotel with stunning lakeside views. However, now with a burnt out wing and abandoned rooms it's eerily quiet and strangley reminiscent of the shining. The staff were friendly and the food was OK but everything else was tired, dated and dire need of renovation

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business