See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I've stayed here two years ago and first visit was really great so decided to come back. I have few points for this hotel. I've seen some sad changes/damage from the recent flooding in the area and am really disappointed to see the restaurant we ate in last time was unfortunately affected and the hotel has a smell of damp this time near the ground floor. The receptionist was very helpful and kind when we asked to change room as we didn't like the first one. The lakeside other restaurant is great though as a bargain lover, i find it a bit pricey. If there's one thing i would advise to those who's planning to visit here is that, please, if like me you are fond of snacking, do bring some with you! The hotel doesn't seem to have any vending machine like others and there's no nearby shop to buy some if you crave for a bag of sweets! Lol! Otherwise, i might go back again next year if given a chance!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Thebargainhuntress
Paul H, Manager at The Reading Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

I am sorry that due to recent flooding we have had to close off certain areas of the hotel while still being able to accommodate our guests on our higher bedroom floors.

Partly due to the flooding the hotel will under go refurbishment in the very near future and we hope you will return to enjoy the new look at a future date.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived on the 15/3/14 to a virtual empty car park which should of warned me, then met by a bored member of staff who grunted and handed me a key and pointed which I assumed was the way to the room. Then you smell and see the state of the hotel, it is disgusting dirty walls, floors and doors. Then the room smelt like a locker room that has been left to fester and stinks of mold and damp, then not to mention the peeling wallpaper, the stains on the bed and of course a pube which shocked me as no person in their right mind would sleep in that bed. We went back to reception handed back the keys and simply told the guy at reception that we wouldn't be staying as the room was flithy, this was not met with any shock or protest. We then went to the De Vere at Wokefield park just 3 miles away but a different class and beautiful. DO NOT STAY AT THE READING LAKE HOTEL EVEN IF ITS FREE OR FOR A BET!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sunnyslackers
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We got a good deal on an overnight stay here and weren't disappointed. The room was a great size, beds were comfy and view was lovely. The only thing I thought was a little odd was there was only one armchair in a twin room with plenty of space for a second. Wifi could be better but that's not essential for me.
We had a lovely meal - the restaurant wasn't available due to the floods but the food was served in the bar/lounge and it was great. The service could have been a bit friendlier but it was efficient and the food spoke for itself anyway!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a super hotel for runners and spectators of the Reading Half Marathon. We stayed for 2 nights Bed and Breakfast.
Reception staff were excellent, friendly and welcoming.
The room was very clean and spacious, but looking a little tired. The balcony looking over the lake had VERY slippery decking, but offered stunning views of the lake. Wi-fi non existent in the rooms and very slow in the bar.
Bar staff in the mornings were very sombre and unfriendly, but in the evening there were some very welcoming chatty gents behind the bar. Lovely sandwiches were prepared one evening - highly recommended. The chinese waiter was lovely, but his english was extremely limited, and when he repeated my order and told me I was getting a cheese and Bacardi sandiwch, i was worried!
The race start and finish was within walking distance down a little country lane, so was ideal for us.
Can't understand why the hotel isnt offering a package for runners and family. They could do a pasta party the night before the race, high energy breakfast and sandwiches after in the bar. Marketing Team need to get on this, and get it on the race website too!
All in all, a wonderful weekend, and the highlight was the sight of an otter woith fish in his mouth, scampering along the decking outside the bar - made my day :)

Room Tip: Room 202 was not overlooked
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I booked a night at this hotel due to the romantic location on the lake, it was a special celebration for me and my partner.
I booked directly with the hotel and informed them that i am celebrating something special, i would appreciate anything they can do to make our stay more special. I work in a hotel and i know how things should be done.

Once we got to reading, taxi drivers were hesitant to take us there as the place was flooded, we were not informed or called prior to our arrival, we have been overcharged by the taxi driver as he had to take a longer route. Once at the hotel, service was very basic from everyone, at reception and the restaurant. no one acknowledged that we were there for a special celebration and 0 hospitality from all staff. The hotel smelled really bad of damp due to the flood experienced before, that was very unpleasant.
The only credit goes to the chef of the hotel as the food was amazing, me and my partner enjoy every bit of it very much.

Overall is very overpriced, not much to drink at the bar as they had no ice machine and all the drinks were cold.
I would say i would definitely not go back as I believe for the price paid we would be able to find a better deal somewhere else.

Room Tip: no wifi in the rooms, TV channels only the national 5, the rest you need to pay to watch.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple