See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a super hotel for runners and spectators of the Reading Half Marathon. We stayed for 2 nights Bed and Breakfast.
Reception staff were excellent, friendly and welcoming.
The room was very clean and spacious, but looking a little tired. The balcony looking over the lake had VERY slippery decking, but offered stunning views of the lake. Wi-fi non existent in the rooms and very slow in the bar.
Bar staff in the mornings were very sombre and unfriendly, but in the evening there were some very welcoming chatty gents behind the bar. Lovely sandwiches were prepared one evening - highly recommended. The chinese waiter was lovely, but his english was extremely limited, and when he repeated my order and told me I was getting a cheese and Bacardi sandiwch, i was worried!
The race start and finish was within walking distance down a little country lane, so was ideal for us.
Can't understand why the hotel isnt offering a package for runners and family. They could do a pasta party the night before the race, high energy breakfast and sandwiches after in the bar. Marketing Team need to get on this, and get it on the race website too!
All in all, a wonderful weekend, and the highlight was the sight of an otter woith fish in his mouth, scampering along the decking outside the bar - made my day :)

Room Tip: Room 202 was not overlooked
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I booked a night at this hotel due to the romantic location on the lake, it was a special celebration for me and my partner.
I booked directly with the hotel and informed them that i am celebrating something special, i would appreciate anything they can do to make our stay more special. I work in a hotel and i know how things should be done.

Once we got to reading, taxi drivers were hesitant to take us there as the place was flooded, we were not informed or called prior to our arrival, we have been overcharged by the taxi driver as he had to take a longer route. Once at the hotel, service was very basic from everyone, at reception and the restaurant. no one acknowledged that we were there for a special celebration and 0 hospitality from all staff. The hotel smelled really bad of damp due to the flood experienced before, that was very unpleasant.
The only credit goes to the chef of the hotel as the food was amazing, me and my partner enjoy every bit of it very much.

Overall is very overpriced, not much to drink at the bar as they had no ice machine and all the drinks were cold.
I would say i would definitely not go back as I believe for the price paid we would be able to find a better deal somewhere else.

Room Tip: no wifi in the rooms, TV channels only the national 5, the rest you need to pay to watch.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cherry55k
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel with groupon and got a good deal. The hotel was quite difficult to get to, and there was one really narrow road on the way there, with cars parked both sides of the road. I could only imagine what would happen if an oncoming car was to come. One car would have to reverse quite far back along a really narrow road with cars parked both sides. A difficult task that would be. Luckily we didn't come across this. Upon reaching the hotel, the receptionist did tell me this was due to a Reading FC football match. The cars were not there when leaving the hotel. The hotel was in an area away from the main roads, taking a few off road roads to get there. However this does have it's plus points (mentioned later). The receptionist didn't have my booking on her 'list' of groupon bookings, but did sort the problem out by asking me for the voucher number and a few other details. She dealt with the situation quickly and well.

The corridors to the room seemed a bit outdated, but the room was a good size, had a nice atmosphere to it, and it's own door to a lakeside balcony. The balcony was private however is overlooked by other balconies and rooms. A nice calming, peaceful balcony on the lake, a beautiful scenery and atmosphere.

The restaurant in the hotel also overlooks the lake and is also nice and calming. A nice place to sit relax and eat.

Parking was included with the hotel's own car park. We also had a couple of drinks and mince pies thrown into the room (not literally).

The atmosphere makes this place what it is, a nice peaceful calming night, day, weekend away, which would not be present if by the main road or motorway.

I have marked it down due to the remote location (meaning I could not order in halal food), and the difficulty of getting to the hotel (not the hotels fault).

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I've just returned from a Saturday night stay at the Reading Lake Hotel. I chose this hotel specifically as I'd stayed there twice before but plumped for a suite and DBB rate.
The suite was excellent with a TV in both bedroom and sitting room (both flat-screen) as well as a fridge, ironing board (with iron), hairdryer etc.
I'm sorry a previous reviewer didn't think much of the lake, but it is what it is! I enjoyed looking out over the lake from the balcony and watching the bird life with many cormorants, herons, swans as well as a kingfisher.
I'd agree that the WiFi is poor.
I thoroughly enjoyed the evening meal which was of a high standard. The staff were attentive and helpful.
Breakfast was fine as well. My only minor complaint is that the restaurant has a somewhat odd atmosphere.
As I said this was my third stay and I will return again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul H, Manager at The Reading Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay and nice to hear this was your third stay.

Just so you are aware our Wifi should be improved very shortly

Look forward to seeing you in the near future

Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 February 2014

First impressions were good. Lovely views. Nice big reception area. Receptionist friendly and informative. Room 305 with balcony overlooking the lake. The room is spacious and clean. The heating was on which could be self adjusted. All the amenities you would require in a room. Not much choice in tv channels. There was a tea cup missing for a drink, but this was quickly replaced. Nice spacious bar with the rugby showing. Bar staff was a little inexperienced but friendly. We ate in the restaurant. The menu was a standard bar menu. Usual steak, pie, pasta and gammon. I had the pate starter and pasta. The food was excellent. Hot,tasty and well presented. However, the service was amazing to watch. We got our wine and menu. It was a good 20 mins before anyone took our order. Then we had to get someone's attention to clear before getting our main course. Having had a lovely meal we decided to have a pudding. It took half an hour to get someone's attention just for the menu. No one asked if we wanted any more drink, coffees, tea etc.......when i got my pudding. Seasonal fruit crumble with cream. It was amazing. Hats off the chefs. The staff were very inexperienced and did a lot of chatting and standing around. A smile would look good.
Apart from that, we would return, just to see the amazing views.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the Reading Lake Hotel.

I am sorry to hear about the lack of service you received in our dining area but thank you for letting me know.

It is nice to hear you will look to return in the future and further to your comments we will look to improve the service in our food and beverage areas as quickly as we can.

Yours Sincerely