See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 December 2016 via mobile

Booked this hotel in an error so decided to bear with it entered the room and it was a bad start floor board are moving, toilet flush not working beds are moving apart. Quilt and pillows stinks like hell. The people upstairs were jumping all night could not sleep there was no staff to complaint about. Then when went for breakfast at 8:30 they said it just finished we only server 7:00 till 8:30 am so we then complaint about all issues the owner said you booked a cheap hotel thats what you get. What else can you expect we are like that if you like it ? and went in his room.
Its a big no no !! For this horrible place..

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank abhishek-13
Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

I stayed here when going on a night out with friends in Reading. The room cost me £50 and was easily worth that.

The hotel is not fancy but the room was easily as quality as some of the travelodges I've stayed at.

Sure I wouldn't take the girlfriend there, but you get what you pay for and for £50 I will gladly stay there again.

The other reviewers clearly do so research on their hotels and were for some reason imaginging 5* for 2* price.

If you want some central and cheap for a quick overnighter, book this.

If you want luxury. Pay more elsewhere

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2016 via mobile

This is a very poorly run hotel! No hotel at all, more like a hostel! A total rip off, you pay a lot of money for the poor standard of rooms. There is no lounge or communal area such as a bar. I had to be at my training course nearby at 9am but breakfast wasn't ready until 8:30. the taxi I asked to book the night before was booked for the correct time but wrong destination. The hotel owner was very reserved and didn't really enquire at all if everything was satisfactory - it left us feeling that he runs the place solely for the money not for his guests. If you get decent service you don't mind paying the high London rates but it was truly awful! So awful that we started reading other reviews on here and couldn't stop laughing at the outrageous reviews! We booked on booking.com where the reviews were very good and photos of the place looked lovely and of a comfortable place. In reality this place has been neglected for many years and is not worth the money. Be aware there are no refunds!
Strongly recommend to stay away until it is run to an acceptable standard!
Just a couple of photos that look very different to their website and to booking.com listing.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Kathrin F
Reviewed 11 September 2016

Having read what the majority of fellow reviewers here have been through at this hotel, I can only say I must have been one of the few relatively lucky ones.
The entire building is shabby and run down and gives the thorough impression that the owners don't give a toss. And as at least one other person here has pointed out, they make you pay when you arrive, before seeing your room, rather than on check-out as most hotels do — which I also suspect is likely because they've had too many people leave without paying.
That said, I must say my room (single with shared bathroom) was actually quite good, in contrast to what many others have had. The door lock worked, there were no bad smells, the bedding was clean, the bed was really quite comfortable, and the room was overall in better condition than I'd expected from the rest of the building. So it really wasn't too bad for just one night.
The shared bathroom (downstairs) was pretty grotty and there was no soap and no paper towels for the basin by the loo. The shower was only moderately hot even on the highest setting and didn't have much water pressure despite being a power shower, but at least it worked.
Cooked breakfast was OK. Well, the scrambled eggs were spongy and tasteless and obviously made in a microwave, but the toast and baked beans and hash brown were all right (well, it would be harder to ruin those). I wouldn't have felt safe ordering sausages or bacon, though, with the overall quality (or lack thereof) of the place...
In summary, for someone looking for a cheap no-frills place to stay near the M4 for only one night, it was just tolerable — about the standard of some of the crummiest youth hostels I've stayed in. But I wouldn't go back again, and having read so many other reviewers' experiences that were far worse — including some very recent ones — it's pretty obvious that this hotel is very hit-and-miss, and with far more misses than hits. Don't risk it, guys and girls. If a hotel leaves so many guests appalled, fed up and outright disgusted as this one obviously does, it doesn't deserve to remain in business. Don't give them your money — go for somewhere that actually has some standards. I certainly will next time.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Courtenay R
Jaz121, Front Office Manager at Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2016

Thank you for feedback. It proves our point that if the hotel is on low ranking,Even you could not find any fault during your stay, you still need to give low score to follow the pattern. I am sure if you were staying in high rating hotel you must have given them 10 out of 10.
So as per your comments you are disappointed why you had good stay.We agree with you there are so many hotels around to choose from.But the main factor is budget.If you have limited budget like you had, we are right choice.We offer as per your comments, comfy bed, clean bedding,nice and clean room with hot shower.We offer very good quality breakfast ( you are reluctant to appreciate) with 4 star hygiene rating.
Please bear in mind Fiat and BMW are both cars,serve the same purpose.Are they can be same? answer is no.The big difference between them is price.Fiat person can not ask for all the luxury of BMW.
Thanks again

Reviewed 5 September 2016

Me and My girlfriend arrived here ready to go to an event in Reading- but left here wanting to go home after feel dirty and worried we had been bitten by dust mites after the state of a dirty/moldy room they call a hotel room.

We paid half cash and half direct debit- he gave us the keys – we went up to the room- where on opening the room door the smell of cigarette smoke hit you- by time we closed the door was nearly sick in mouth from the smell.
Was that strong it gave an instant head ache – so went back to reception and explained – am very sorry but can we please have a non-smoking room.

The gentleman gave us the keys to the room next door and said this is a non-smoking room – back up the two and bit flights of stairs we go with bags.
The door is broken so the handle falls partly off when putting key in lock- on opening the door the door frame is all broken and disgusting.
On entering the room you can see the thick dust where it has not been cleaned in months! The bed had stains on it/felt damp/ fag burns on the covers.
Fag buts on the floor!
Kettle half full of smelly stale water
Bin dirty and stained.
Damp on walls
Bathroom shower curtain should be white but disgusting
Open Wires showing in bathroom – large fire risk
Only half a toilet roll
Fan blocked and dirty.

I am not a snob but its defiantly not up to a hygiene rating to stay in.

But very politely we went back to reception after taking photos of the room and explained very sorry but cannot stay here you have showed us two rooms and each room getting worse! Please could we just have a refund and we will go elsewhere.
He advised he could not give us a refund- I said may I ask why? I just cant..
But were not happy and were showing you the pictures it’s not of a level of a standard so would like a refund please – his answer was still a No!
So explained we would call late rooms he said that’s fine – you guys said you would phone him on our behalf if we waited on hold – you came back to us and advised he had refused to give us a refund..
I advised I would contact the authorities to see where I stood –at this point he said – ok here have your money – but don’t contact anyone and don’t make a complaint!
I was very disappointed with service and standards of this hotel and since my stay i have contacted late rooms and trading standards.
As i am shocked this hotel is able to serve people with its bad hygiene standards and health and safety issues.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple