“A very pretty restaurant. ”
Review of Thames Lido

Thames Lido
Ranked #20 of 661 Restaurants in Reading
Price range: US$27 - US$80
Description: Just like our award winning restaurant, Bristol Lido, Thames Lido bar and restaurant is Reading's new venue for unpretentious dining with a strong Spanish and Mediterranean feel. The open kitchen and wood burning ovens and bespoke charcoal grill add to the drama created by the Grade 2 listed outdoor pool and surrounding buildings. We are open to all for breakfast, tapas, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

This was a much anticipated visit and a hot and sunny day to boot, so it was the perfect weather to be poolside for dinner. The restaurant is beautiful, colourful and informal and a wonderful renovation of the Victorian swimming baths.

The food was a mixed bag. The aubergine starter, the salmon and the chocolate tart were great. The falafel main lacked sauce and substance, the sorbet was not good at all. The a la carte menu is very small, but the set menu changes every day, so I would try it again and hope for a more filling and imaginative vegetarian option.

Service was a bit lacking, we were greeted warmly and seated, but twenty minutes later we felt we’d been forgotten when we had to get up to order although the restaurant was empty. We would have loved after dinner drinks, but after trying to get the attention of our waiter for half an hour, we just left and paid on the way out. No one had even cleared our dessert plates at this point. Perhaps this is a teething problem, it’s all still relatively new and it looked as if staff were just inexperienced rather than careless.

As mentioned, I will give it another go as the surroundings are so spectacular and the atmosphere is so good. The score I’ve given is more for the restaurant itself than the food and the service we experienced. I definitely wouldn’t book for a special occasion however, as I couldn’t be confident of them getting it right.

Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

Myself and my partner visited the Lido for a swim and dine experience and it did not disappoint, the swimming and jacuzzi facilities are truly excellent, the staff super friendly and helpful, we enjoyed a swim and a sit in the steam rooms followed by the outdoor jacuzzi, then we dined! The scallops are the best we have ever eaten, served rustic in there shells, and the venison was equally sublime served for main. A wonderful experience very reasonably priced, it was a rare treat for us but one which was thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks Lido people :)

1  Thank RamsUK
Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

I would love to give this restaurant 5 stars.
Modern, bright restaurant with amazing views of the lido. We had heard some really great reviews of the food and know people who swear it's the best place to eat in Reading. Id like to think it is and that we were just unfortunate on this occassion. My partners chicken dish looked fantastic and tasted wonderful but was sadly undercooked in the middle and he was unable to finish it. Staff were very apologetic and kindly removed it from the bill.
Everything else was perfect, friendly staff and unobtrusive service. Delicious dessert!
We will definitely be back for more, perhaps the spa and tapas package next time!

1  Thank YJacklin
Reviewed 15 April 2018

I've eaten a few times at the lido but my meal this evening was the best I've had so far.
We ate from the set menu. (£20 for 3 courses) We had the steamed mussels to start. A good size portion cooked in a light tasty sauce. Our salmon main course came with fried cabbage and a gorgeous caper, sherry butter sauce. It was absolutely delicious. My friend had the chocolate ice cream and I had the chocolate and prune tart, both very good. The chefs at the lido manage to produce food with such an exquisite blend of flavours that it is lifted on to a different level. I would be happy to eat here every night.

1  Thank HelgaJ64
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Went to the Lido as a birthday celebration for my wife with friends. We were all pleasantly surprised. Food great, service attentive, good options for vegetarians. A different experience sat next to the pool, would definitely visit again. Menu changes and the team like fresh seasonal ingredients.

1  Thank Nick_k_uk