“Really relaxed and obviously populat”

George Street Social
Ranked #2 of 48 Coffee & Tea in Oxford
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Description: George Street Social is on a mission to offer fantastic food, drink and hospitality to the good people of Oxford. We are open from 8am daily (9am on weekends because no one wants to be up THAT early) all the way through to 11pm. We make the most of that time by cramming in as much fun stuff as we can possibly handle, from our bottomless Prosecco brunches at the weekend to our week-night happy hour and Friday After Work Social.
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

We popped in here for a coffee and relax whilst waiting for our show at the playhouse.
It's a really laid back atmosphere in here with plenty of comfy seating and lots of books and board games if you want them.
I did think that serving hot coffee in glasses was a bit odd, and they were HOT and no protection was offered. The coffee (and my partner's mocha) were well made and tasty and the glasses did offered a decent serving of coffee.
We stayed for about an hour and weren't hassled or bothered by staff. We didn't eat here, but the food I saw looked very nice.

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Just finished a very brief but lovely trip to Oxford. It's just around the corner from where we stayed (Tower House Hotel - can highly recommend!)

George Street Social has a really modern menu composed of a few no-nonsense items. I've been vegetarian for almost my entire life, and now recently vegan. I was shocked by the great range of options available to me.

The food tastes like someone actually spent time preparing it properly rather than churning out mass market standard fare. Vegetables were really fresh, everything looked and tasted healthy, not dripping in fat or grease.

The decor is lovely, also unfussy while still being quirky and having loads of character. We were here twice, once for a meal and once for drinks. The atmosphere is great, people were playing board games and having fun without being rowdy and annoying. The staff were lovely, chatty, friendly.
The cocktails were excellent and very reasonably priced for what we got. Can recommend the Raspberry Collins.

Hope to be back to Oxford and George Street Social soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2017

We were starving and this place didn't have a line, it looked okay, so we went in. The only small table was dirty, so we wiped it a little while waiting for our food, thinking the waiter would tidy the table. He had to have seen the big brown rings of goo that he sat my food on and walked away. We didn't see him again until we got the bill. My daughter and I had the same dish which was not that good, and I tried not to think how clean the kitchen might be during its preparation.

2  Thank Betwit
Management response:Responded 5 July 2017

Hi Betwit,

Thanks for leaving your review. We appreciate all the feedback we get even when sometimes its difficult to hear. We're really sorry we let you down on this occasion, our server must not have noticed your table needed a wipe, he really wouldn't have left it that way on purpose, especially if he'd known it was upsetting you.

Regarding the food, we're gutted you didn't like it. Could you please drop us an email on info@georgestreetsocial.com to give us a little more feedback on what wasn't up to scratch? We take great pride in our food and want to take as many opportunities as possible to learn and get better if we can.

Finally, please be reassured that we have passed every kitchen hygiene audit with top marks ever since our current management team have worked here. You're unlikely to find a cleaner kitchen. I hope that puts your mind at ease.

We'll learn from this and hopefully smash it out of the park next time you guys come to visit.

Kind regards,

Tom

Reviewed 3 July 2017

Great food and service - it was delicious and had a lot of options! The prosecco with the bottomless brunch was lovely too and even though we were in a large group, they were very accommodating.

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

I ordered a dirty Chai, my new favorite hit drink. The staff was cheerful, it has space so customers don't feel cramp, the place is clean, the prices are fair, and the location is convenient. The red velvet cake is s must for sugar-lovers.