“churros for breakfast”

El Mexicana
Ranked #274 of 712 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 13 September 2015

the staff is always nice and chat,
the food is tasty and cheap.

I like go there for breakfast very often.

4  Thank black-kittie

Reviewed 13 August 2015

I have been here twice now as I wanted to give the place the benefit of the doubt after the first visit as it was their opening week and were obviously struggling with being under staffed. However I was dissapointed the second time round. The burrito was just filled with rice and beans - hardly any meat. It took so long to get served that the burrito had already started to go cold. I still cant believe there are only two members of staff working in there, I feel so sorry for them as they are rushed off their feet. The saving grace of this place is their sweet potato fries - even if they did come to the table after we had finished our meal - they were worth waiting for!

2  Thank Martha H
omaringa, Manager at El Mexicana, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2015

Thank you for your feedback, I am very sorry to hear you had such a negative experience at
El Mexicana Oxford. We appreciate your feedback and sorry to hear your visit wasn't 100% satisfactory. we take all reviews very seriously and would like to discuss your experience in more detail with you. if you could email me at omaringaltd@gmail.com that would be great.

Reviewed 25 July 2015

I primarily go to this place for churros. I've had their burritos and I think there are other places that serve bigger and tastier burritos in Oxford, for example Mission.
But where else can you get churros whenever you want them?

I am a big chocolate fan but for dipping sauce, I'd recommend caramel sauce rather than chocolate. Caramel they serve is nicer in flavour, in my opinion.

I do hope that they fry the churros a bit longer as these days they seem to undercook it a little and I sometimes get uncooked dough aftertaste in my mouth. It wasn't like that when I first started going there. I hope they go back to their older practice and perhaps fry it for even 30 seconds longer. It has no colour!
You get three churros for a regular size (1.95) and five for large (2.95? not sure but around that range).

The staff is friendly and approachable.

There is no bathroom for customers however!

2  Thank ephemere01
Reviewed 30 June 2015

Visited El Mexicano for first time. Being used to The Mission my exceptions were high.

I ordered the Tacos with chicken. presentation was good, a nice selection of sides to go with it and the food tasted quite good. However I found that the amount of chicken was minimal. If felt a bit stingy. Sure enough they topped it up well with other ingredients to compensate for the lack of chicken.

Overall taste wise its definitely good but the portion I'm not impressed and for that reason I'm not a fan yet!

2  Thank KALNATY
Reviewed 21 June 2015

A new burrito place in Oxford was to be welcomed (see my other post on Mission Burrito).

I went there very excited to try this new place and their burrito: the meat portion was the smallest one I have ever seen and tasted. As such, the burrito looked more a fish-finger, not a burrito. Please bear in mind I generally do not get rice, but ask for a bit more beans. Even with this change, the burrito should look a bit more... substantial.

What a shame!

2  Thank Paolo R

El Mexicana Oxford. we take all reviews very seriously and would like to discuss your experience in more detail with you. if you could email me at omaringaltd@gmail.com that would be great.