“A nice additon to Summertown”
Review of Modern Baker

Modern Baker
Ranked #5 of 9 Bakeries in Oxford
Reviewed 23 May 2017

I visited Modern Baker two weeks ago with a friend, who had recommended the place, and her fox terrier, Gracie.

On first impressions the café was clean and stylish, there was a good range of niche products good and the vibe was relaxed. I ordered a latte and a beetroot brownie, which were bought to my table outside in good time despite the growing queue.
-The beetroot brownie was rich and tasty; I saved half for later!
-The coffee was decent, however expensive for the small amount I received.

Hoping to pop back on a sunny day and sample one of their many salads :)

Reviewed 3 March 2017

I've been a fan of Modern Baker from the early days and would happily recommend anyone looking for a healthy alternative to visit. I can't say I've tried many of the food items but the two salads I've tried were tasty. I like that they change the menu so often. It is quite pricey, but you do get what you pay for... the salads were always fresh and full of flavour.

What I can comment on, is the great lattes they offer... matcha green tea and turmeric milk are my favourites. And they're sooooo healthy too. I've even bought the ingredients (which they sell) to make them at home but it's still nice to pop in and get the original made for you!

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

Spoilt by the consistently high standard of coffee available to us in Melbourne, our expectations are high. In the UK, while roasters are producing better coffees, if you don't like it black, its still safest to ask for a flat white - never mind my preferred long machiato. I am delighted to report that Modern Baker delivers the best flat white I have tasted in Summertown, with a prominent crema you can inhale before putting your lips to the strong velvety coffee. Also seek out the artisan coffee store in Oxford's Covered Market (which also dispenses takeway coffee at Summertown's Sunday's market).

Reviewed 2 December 2016

Called by here for a pick-me-up lunch and I was not disappointed. The salads were amazing. Excellent coffee, friendly staff and yummy looking bakes, though I was trying to be good so I did not try them. I'd come back when I am next in Oxford. Big portions, but they offered to box up any left-overs.

Reviewed 26 November 2016 via mobile

We've come here fairly regularly since it first opened. We love the concept and enjoy the healthy sweet treats in particular. However, the last few times have been a bjt of a let down. The staff haven't been particularly friendly or welcoming and it's felt like it's lost it's soul a little. Today we went in and the two young girls behind the counter didn't even raise a smile let alone say 'hello'. There was lots of seating available but the tables were in need of a good wipe and the cushions were all a bit of a mess with dirty napkins strewn all over the place. The girls behind the counter were stood there not doing much so I couldn't see a reason as to why the place was in such disarray. We ordered two chai lattes to drink in but these were also disappointing. They basically tasted of warm milk and weren't even particularly hot. So we paid a fiver for two mugs of lukewarm almond milk. Yes we could have complained, but to be honest we just wanted to leave. The atmosphere wasn't warm or inviting and frankly we found ourselves wishing we'd gone to Starbucks instead (we never go to Starbucks!) We won't be returning anytime soon.

yellowdog101, Owner at Modern Baker, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2016

We have just read your comments and can not apologise enough. There is no excuse for anyone, let alone a regular customer who's supported us from the start, not to have a good experience. All the issues you have raised are in hand and we would like to ask you both to come back for hot chai lattes and sweet treats (our best humble pie!), on us - please drop us a line at bread@modernbaker.com. Once again, our most sincere apologies.