“Overpriced”
Review of Gee's Restaurant

Gee's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gee's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 729 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Gee’s Restaurant offers locals and visitors a uniquely rustic, Mediterranean dining experience set in an iconic Victorian Glasshouse… Enjoy a house cocktail at the marble topped bar, dine in the light-filled conservatory amidst olive trees and plants, choose from a daily evolving seasonal menu inspired by the regional dishes of Spain and Italy, cooked on the wood fire oven and charcoal grill… Originally a greengrocer and florist built in 1898, this famous Grade II listed Victorian conservatory now hosts Oxfords best loved neighbourhood restaurant. Open all day, every day for morning coffee, weekend brunch, express lunch, dishes for sharing and Sunday roasts… Expect a warm welcome and great food served by knowledgeable & friendly waiters.
Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

First I have to say the place looks great, but the food is not that amazing for the price you pay. I had the linguine with salmon and supposedly it should have shrimps which was just imaginary. Very disappointed as this was my option because I love shrimps and the taste of the food was ok.

OxfordGees, Manager at Gee's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Jean B,
We’ve since amended the way we construct this dish so that the shrimps are placed on top and therefore visible.
We hope we’ll see you soon.
Best Wishes,
Chanelle

Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed 11 October 2018

I keep going back to Gees, and it is a wonderful example of the triumph of hope over experience. On this particular occasion, the service was shocking. We were asked if we wanted water before we had even sat down (a particularly annoying but common occurrence) and from then on in we were ignored for long periods of time by a number of staff. This makes the whole experience very stressful as one has to keep trying to attract the attention of waiting staff and we were left for more than 15 minutes before anyone came to take a drink order or to ask what we would like to eat.

We had the tapas sharing board to start which was overpriced for what it was and then I had the plaice. The fish itself was lovely but the side order of fries were overcooked and seemed to be entirely made up of the little bits one finds at the bottom of a bag - fat too bitty and crunchy.

However, it was the appalling service which made it a less than memorable evening, and then of course one is presented with the 12.5% service charge - disgraceful. I told my husband to ask for it to be removed but he didn't want to spoil what was supposed to be a birthday celebration.

It is unlikely I will be returning any time soon, unless I forget how dreadful this was and decide to give it another go...

1  Thank robbiefan

Dear RobbieFan,
We’re sorry to hear that our service was lacking on this occasion – we fully appreciate your comments and are working with our team to address speed of service.
We would have immediately replaced your chips had you brought this to our attention.
Sorry to hear you’ll not be returning.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 9 October 2018

I've been going to Gee's for years and the food is always pretty good. Not amazing, but good. The real reason for going is the beautiful conservatory, which makes it perfect for an intimate or romantic meal. The problem is that there's no point in having a romantic meal if the service is shoddy, soulless and makes you feel like the waiting staff are doing you a favour.

I'm increasingly thinking that Cherwell Boathouse, The Folly and even the Parsonage are a far better bet.

1  Thank AzimN_13
OxfordGees, Manager at Gee's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Azim N,

Thank you so much for taking your time to leave your review, we aim to keep high standard here at Gees,
So please do accept my apologies that we did not perform this time,
if you change your mind and decide to give us another try please do contact us directly via email
info@gees-restaurant.co.uk
it would be our pleasure to welcome you back,

Best wishes

Reviewed 5 October 2018

A nice looking place, I passed it by on a previous trip to Oxford, but as it was lunchtime when I came this time, I thought it was worth a try. I had soup, bread, and a glass of wine, all of which were pleasant but not exceptional. The service was fast at the start and slow at the end. Now that I've been once, I don't think I'd return.

OxfordGees, Manager at Gee's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Dear Lipadad,
Thank you for taking time to writing us a review.
Please accept our apologies for your disappointing visit.
Please be assured that your feedback has been passed onto our team.
We hope you are able to give us another chance soon.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

Lovely food: I ate the steak which was cooked perfectly. Everyone in our group really enjoyed the food and would’ve given it full marks.

Service : We had various staff serve us. One young woman was lovely, friendly and funny. The man who mostly served us at our table just looked tired and found it very hard to smile at us. It did make what was a special evening a bit underwhelming. Another waiter also came to check on our table, one of my friends asked for a glass of red wine to accompany his steak and it never arrived. We later asked to be sure we weren’t billed for it.

One issue : when we arrived at the restaurant it was quite obvious that one waiter and one bar man were talking about someone in our group and laughing. Not only were they looking straight at him and talking, but they were talking in their own language (Spanish) , which, unknown to them I also speak fluently and so could understand. I have never experienced that in a restaurant before. It left me feeling very uncomfortable.

I came here with a small group. We were all polite and tipped the staff well. However we all agreed , really great food, lovely surroundings, but the staff/service was bad.

Dear CWJSLondon,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback,
Sadly we did not perform according to our usual acclaimed standards, please accept our apologies for your disappointment, this is inexcusable and we've delivered this feedback to our team…
We are however delighted that you and your guests enjoy our food,
Please contact us at gosia@gees-restaurant.co.uk if you wish to discuss further.
Best Regards,