“Recommended!!”

Ranked #182 of 714 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$16 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Browns Oxford, set near the centre of ‘that sweet city with her dreaming spires’, was the second branch of Browns to open. It has become a landmark in the city, an institution not quite as ancient as the university’s world-famous colleges, but one which has nonetheless stood the test of time.For many years the building was a Morris garage, which we converted into one of the first of its kind: an English brasserie. And the scene out of the windows is also pure England: across the road is the church of St Giles, the church hall and a characterful terrace of 18th century houses. But we’re also just a 5 minute walk away from the busy centre of the city.
Reviewed 20 February 2018

I visited Browns Brasserie and bar on Thursday February 15th 2018 with two dining companions. We all enjoyed the food. I had the fish pie, which I recommend. We had a Montepulciano wine which was reasonably priced. All of us came away satisfied with out meal. The staff were friendly and service was good. I recommend this place.

General Manager A, Manager at Browns Brasserie & Bar Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

Hi there, thank you so much for your positive comments about Browns Oxford!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed 18 February 2018

We went on a Friday afternoon, 3pm for afternoon tea and it wasn't very busy. The staff were very attentive, though not intrusive. We were served a nice big pot of tea each (china, of course) and the food was served on attractive art deco style stacking shelf type things. The presentation was lovely. The sandwiches were served in little brioche buns and the little cakes were nice. The caramel-centred, chocolate-coated profiterole was a lovely surprise. The little scones were a curious texture - a mixture of cakey and rubbery, but perfectly edible. My one complaint, at the risk of sounding very greedy, is that we could have done with more sandwiches. This was the first afternoon tea we've had where we managed to finish it all. All together, a lovely afternoon, lovely atmosphere, and I would definitely recommend it.

Hello, your wonderful feedback and rating mean a lot to us.

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I visited oxford this weekend and ate dinner on Friday night at Brown’s brassiere.

The menu choices are excellent and the ambience of this particular restaurant is really good

The staff were excellent,.....very warm and welcoming and our waitress was great.

I had the fish pie which I would wholeheartedly recommend.....it is very tasty indeed...my wife had the beetroot and avocado salad with salmon and was very pleased

Service was fast and efficient and overall I would have no hesitation in recommending

General Manager A, Manager at Browns Brasserie & Bar Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Dear Guy M, it's experiences like yours that really keep us motivated!

Thank you so much for the positive review and we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit to Browns Oxford!

We do pride ourselves in excellent service and atmosphere and it’s great to see that we did deliver what we aim for. I’m sure our staff will love your review.

The fish pie is very popular and one of my favourite dish too, I do also recommend it.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Had a girly lunch here today, 3 starters 4 mains 2 deserts 6 cocktails 2 bottles prosseco 1 bottles of rose wine 2 large glasses merlot oh & a large bottle sparkling water!The food was all lovely and service was excellent. Will definately be returning again!

General Manager A, Manager at Browns Brasserie & Bar Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2018

Dear Joyoxford, thank you so much for the positive review! We love to read that you had a great time with your friends which is what we strive for. I’m glad you also liked our sparkling water as it is indeed very nice . I’m sure the rest of the drinks were nice too. Thank you for recognising the lovely food and excellent service. I’m sure our staff will love your review. We are definitely looking forward seeing you again too.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

My husband and I received excellent service. We had arrived early for our table, but the staff were prepared to seat us. The food was beautifully served/presented and tasted even better. The serving staff were very friendly and helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at Browns Oxford. We are happy we could meet your expectations!

It was a very busy night and our staff and our chefs were very attentive to details and indeed the food was looking beautiful and I’m glad to read that you have enjoyed both food and service.

Thank you to acknowledge everyone’s work to make your special night perfect.
We hope to see you again.